R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-11-2006, 07:16 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default What happen to super narrow tires?

For those of you have being around for a while. Remember back in '96, '97 Yokomo came out with super narrow 22mm tires? It was the way to go back then. Few other companies' pro level cars also came with the narrow tires. I didn't have a touring car back then, so I didn't try the tires. All I know is that they were faster during acceleration, and braking (think about the batteries and tires that they had to use back then). Anyone know the difference in the handling of the car?

I am sure that part of the reason that they went alway was because the rules, but what if the rules doesn't apply?

Regards
thegreatimpulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:07 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Skiddish tires but where cool to run but with the weight and power we have now they wouldn't work well for most. I had lots of them took some skill to get them to work well.

Rod
RKeasler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:34 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to floodo1 Send a message via AIM to floodo1 Send a message via Yahoo to floodo1

super narrows are teh bomb for 4wd drifts

for racing they dont have enough contact patch.
floodo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:20 PM   #4
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeasler
Skiddish tires but where cool to run but with the weight and power we have now they wouldn't work well for most. I had lots of them took some skill to get them to work well.

Rod
Are you sure Rethink pound per square inches buddy

Last edited by OVA; 06-11-2006 at 12:31 PM.
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:21 PM   #5
OVA
Tech Champion

for racing they dont have enough contact patch.[/QUOTE]

Sorry bud I disagee how about the throttle control

Last edited by OVA; 06-11-2006 at 12:32 PM.
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:30 PM   #6
OVA
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatimpulse
For those of you have being around for a while. Remember back in '96, '97 Yokomo came out with super narrow 22mm tires? It was the way to go back then. Few other companies' pro level cars also came with the narrow tires. I didn't have a touring car back then, so I didn't try the tires. All I know is that they were faster during acceleration, and braking (think about the batteries and tires that they had to use back then). Anyone know the difference in the handling of the car?

I am sure that part of the reason that they went alway was because the rules, but what if the rules doesn't apply?

Regards
I really like those yokomo super narrow tires..... NOW day they've really improve the rubber compound plus the belted .. can't remember I think the ROAR change the tires size back to 24mm
Old 06-11-2006, 08:24 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVA
Are you sure Rethink pound per square inches buddy
Am I sure about what As far as those tires go the margin between working well and breaking traction was well....more narrow.
Rod
Old 06-11-2006, 10:45 PM   #8
Tech Elite

The "pounds per square inch" thing is sort of misleading. If this were the best way then our cars and full scale cars would run on O-ring size treads. In drag racing, this does work but you are really dealing with forward traction. In onroad or offroad you are dealing as much if not more with side bite or side traction. Try to tell a formula 1 driver he will do better with skinny tires!

Brant

My Carbon Footprint is Larger than Yours! :p
POOKYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:12 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to josh69162

I found some 22mm HPI slicks in my LHS's "clearence" box. I asked about them, and they told me just take 'em! They were pretty cool, and they were fun to drive on. HPI made 21mm X-Patterns at one time...
josh69162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:25 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Narrow tires (22 mm) are tiny bit lighter which would aid acceleration. The difference is less with the 24 mm tires we use today, than with the 26 mm that everyone was using when the 22 mm were introduced. Roar (I think) allows both 24 and 26 mm tires yet every team driver I know of uses the narrow tire option.
There is a optimum contact patch size, especially on parking lots where there are lot of very small pebbles and dust.
Why do you think full size Rally cars don't use drag racing wide tires? Rally cars often use very narrow tires to achieve the perfect balance between grip, weight and "snappiness" of the moment when the tires lose grip. In Rally you want the car to gradually start to drift rather than snap out of control. I prefer the same thing with my RC car, even if it never leaves the asphalt.
andsetinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 05:10 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fpart

The way I remember it was that the 22mm tires where much better at the time than 24 or 26 mm tires. This was most because at the time most people didn't have belted tires yet. If you think about it under normal load and rotation, a narrower tire like 22mm would not expand to a very narrow contact patch like a wider tire would do(24 or 26). Therefore you had more contact patch.

The real reasons they died out was:

1. Introduction of belted tires
2. Roar outlawed anything less than 24mm
3. Much better rubber compounds came out.

I still use a set of 22 mm x patterns on my rally(tc3) when we run on pavement(a little sand). part of the rules state that the tires have to be treaded(some kind). The tires are awesome. The last time I drove it, I was 2 laps up on the rest of the field.
fpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:09 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

The HPI tires I had super-narrow were belted.

Rod
Old 06-12-2006, 08:40 AM   #13
Tech Regular

I ran them back in the day at Revelation, It is a nitro track with long straights and sweeping turns. The tires were very fast. and you had to use them here to keep up with everyone else.

I stopped racing for a couple of years and the tires were banned. When I came back I used them at a parking lot race. They were very fast on the straights but it was very edgy on the corners, it was very easy to get spun out.
nagatahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:04 AM   #14
Tech Regular

It was not because ROAR, don't forget the best rubber tyres(take off, pit shimisu, ride, etc) at that time,1999-2000,(still) were from Japan. At the beginning, only 26mm tyre existed, then someone thought more rubber on the track means more grip(=faster),those wide(30mm, mainly for rear) were actually slower. So they went to the opposite way to go narrow, 22-21mm. Those super narrow tyre were very fast, but wear out even faster. So JMRCA decided to took a balance , between 22mm(performance) & 26mm(low wear). There you have 24mm. Basicly, all tyre manufacturer stopped making 22mm super narrow, ROAR, EFRA only followed the trend for 24mm.
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:28 PM   #15
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to buzz06

The current BRCA wet tyre is 21mm
buzz06 is offline   Reply With Quote