R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-09-2006, 12:06 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Lipo TX pack for 3PKS?

I have a 3PKS, and I was considering picking up a lipo pack for it. Anybody have any suggestions on who makes a good quality one?

Does the 3PKS take the same pack as the 3PK?
Jon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 12:08 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon3
I have a 3PKS, and I was considering picking up a lipo pack for it. Anybody have any suggestions on who makes a good quality one?

Does the 3PKS take the same pack as the 3PK?
I would think it takes the same battery. I used Htbatteries.com!!! The charge lasts all day!!

Chris Kemper
Osiris 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:44 PM   #3
Tech Master

you could try to tape a m8 one in
hpipro321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:54 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Other then having a lighter pack whats the benefits??
CONS
-High cost- very high
-need special charger

My 2500mah NIHM cells from Canadian Tire are 8 for 14$CND(energizers versions are 30$CND).... Last for hours and hours in my 3PK. Normally i just repeak them every 2 race days.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:19 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to olhipster1

Using a lipo in a 3pk is just absolutely a must, the weight is reduced a bunch...trust me your wrist will not get tired at all anymore.

I've used a fully charged Lipo pack for a 4 race days (1 month) without recharging.
I've been using a Xpower 3 cell, 1700 mah, 11.1v pack. MikesHobbyshop.com in dallas (when i raced there) built/added the end connector on for me. cost about 60 bucks when i got it...not sure what current price is now but they sell heli stuff so it was pretty easy for them.
I did have to shave off the little notches in the battery slot in order to fit the pack in....only took about 2 minute to do this.
olhipster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 05:36 PM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
Other then having a lighter pack whats the benefits??
CONS
-High cost- very high
-need special charger

My 2500mah NIHM cells from Canadian Tire are 8 for 14$CND(energizers versions are 30$CND).... Last for hours and hours in my 3PK. Normally i just repeak them every 2 race days.
Don't be fooled by the high mAh rating from NIMh cells. My 2500 mAh AA's last 4-5 hours in my 3PK. My 2500 mAh LiPo pack lasts 14-16 hours!!!! And it's lighter too. Since changing to Lipo, I get 1-2 months between charges -including countless hours on VRC.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:51 PM   #7
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Man, I'm not sure what it is about my batteries then, cause I'm using a 3 year old pack of 1600mah Nimh cells(store bought Rayovak cells built into a pack) in my 3PK and I usually go 2 race weekends without charging them at all. And thats with running two classes, one of which is nitro with 10 minute A-mains.

Thats certainly not the same as a Lipo pack, but thats also quite far from dying after "4-5 hours". Lipo would be cool, but "$60" is an awful lot just to go Lipo in your radio.

I see so many guys with battery issues in their radios. Not just 3PK, but all brands. Guys with radios beeping on the stand, wondering if they'll be able to even finish their races, people having to charge mid raceday just to keep their radios going.... And I'm left to wonder...

...Are people remembering to turn their radios off?
Old 06-09-2006, 08:38 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well for 14$ im happy with the NIHM and my wrists dont get sore after racing 1hour nitro mains... Im not one to leave my batteries to chance. It takes very little time to charge your TX every so often between races.

Perhaps when lipos got main stream for race packs and every club accepts them ill plunge into lipos, but for now it seems to be a very high price tag to shave weight off my transmitter that doesnt bother me.

Also im skeptical that a nihm 2500 lasting 4-5 hours while a lipo last 14-16hours... I think those numbers are just pulled out of the air???

I mean the guys testing the new 4800mah lipo in rccaration did not report 3-4 times more run time over comparable nihm cells.

So the PROS:
-lighter for weak wristed racers jokes
-gives you reason to get a new charger jokes
-gives your dremel some use to modify the TX battery case

Just having some fun guys dont shoot me
Old 06-09-2006, 09:13 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to olhipster1
Default ???

$60 bucks or less for having assurance I can finish a race...is worth it...YES for me it is.
especially if I get to busy working on a car...and forget to plug the radio back into the charger...mistake I've made many a time or if you're one of the guys that has to have all the lights on..and beeps..and such...
hmm...60 smackers and have less worries...or forget to charge my radio NIMH between races and blow a race or worse...have my radio lose signal and have my car go straight into a board at full throttle and before you say it won't happen...It has happened to me all because i didn't have enough juice in the battery...
at first I thought it was crazy to spend the $$$ but think about it if you buy a painted body..how much do those go for and how long do they last.

Some racers choose to hold their radios differrently than others and the weight down does make a difference from holding a transmitter to tight. or keeping a relaxed feel for smoother wheel action...but ergonomics play into that part also.

I was averaging .2 to .3 volt battery usage from each 5 minute race on my lipo ....my fully charge lipo would start my 3pk at 12.1v (on screen)..

but after all said.
if ya want to spend it...it's your mula..
olhipster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:51 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

I'm not worried about the charger, I fly planes and all the batteries have I have for those are lipo, so I'm set there.
Jon3 is offline   Reply With Quote