R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-16-2006, 09:32 AM   #106
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
My biggest hurdle is I started in the mid 80's... Things have changed a lot! I only know how to draw by hand. I was actually thinking about taking a CADD course through the local CC before I decided to comit myself to returning. My wife is going back for her masters at night, so I figure 2 can play that game...

I don't know if I'd have the patience to digitize an already existing car 1 figure at a time. I know I was watching something where they were digitizing cars with a camera and hundreds of targets placed all over the body, even that had to be extremely time consuming.
Yeah, things have changed quite a bit. With the background you do have, though, it would be very easy to get into CAD Design. Those positions are in huge demand and pay just about as well as engineering.

One way I can digitize these cars, if the geometry gets too complex for my freeform surfacing ability, is to talk one of the guys in the QC department to make a point cloud with a CMM when they have some free time. One of the guys is a Model Railroader, so I think he might be my best shot. The CMM comes in and touches the surface with an IR probe at thousands of points across the surface and I can use them to approximate the sheets that make up the geometry. Sometimes that is just as time-consuming as creating the idealized geometry itself, though.
SammyXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:49 AM   #107
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I know there's a digitizing probe that you can put into the collet on a CNC mill and digitize 3D parts. Taig (Microproto) offers it as an option with their desktop machines but I'm sure you could use it in a huge Bridgeport too... If I had the room I'd have a Bridgeport sitting in my garage, my 2 cars just fit as it is....
Old 08-16-2006, 01:57 PM   #108
Tech Regular

Cool conversation on Road Racing bodies. Great work on the computer too.

I too love the GTP and Can Am eras. We do actually still produce our GTP bodies from the 80s designed for the 1/10 wide pan cars...Jaguar, Toyota and Nissan NPT90. We even still make a few 1/12 GTP bodies from the early years.

Producing such bodies to fit the current Touring Car chassis' is a definite problem, mainly due to the high shock towers to get the proper look. We have designed two GT style bodies for 190mm cars fudging the best we could with the high shock towers. They are pictured on our website..."FlyingM GT" and "Wildcat 3".

Gary McAllister
McAllister Racing
flyingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:08 PM   #109
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingm

I too love the GTP and Can Am eras. We do actually still produce our GTP bodies from the 80s designed for the 1/10 wide pan cars...Jaguar, Toyota and Nissan NPT90. We even still make a few 1/12 GTP bodies from the early years.

Producing such bodies to fit the current Touring Car chassis' is a definite problem, mainly due to the high shock towers to get the proper look. We have designed two GT style bodies for 190mm cars fudging the best we could with the high shock towers. They are pictured on our website..."FlyingM GT" and "Wildcat 3".

Gary McAllister
McAllister Racing
I look at your site all the time and keep telling myself I should order a few bodies....
Old 08-16-2006, 02:44 PM   #110
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

I ordered a couple Wildcat bodies a year or two back for my son and I, and really like them (see avatar for my simple Racer X paint scheme on a Wildcat). We've been asked "What are those?" on more than one occasion and have gladly told everyone: McAllister Wildcats.

Thanks for the nice bodies.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but I like the current Grand Am "Daytona Prototypes". I know, they're not "classics" but a nice Crawford Pontiac body from McAllister would be awesome.
Hawk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:03 PM   #111
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk6
I ordered a couple Wildcat bodies a year or two back for my son and I, and really like them (see avatar for my simple Racer X paint scheme on a Wildcat). We've been asked "What are those?" on more than one occasion and have gladly told everyone: McAllister Wildcats.

Thanks for the nice bodies.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but I like the current Grand Am "Daytona Prototypes". I know, they're not "classics" but a nice Crawford Pontiac body from McAllister would be awesome.
That Flying M GT and Wildcat from McAllister actually looks a lot more like either a McLaren or a Daytona Prototype...
http://www.mcallisterracing.com/racing/page4.html

No flaming necessary. The DP cars are growing on me, too. Just not to the point where I'm gonna devote a coupla dozen hours at my workstation modeling one up and who knows how many hours prepping a mold to vacform them!
SammyXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:11 PM   #112
Tech Elite

If someone made some DP bodies I'd buy them....

I suggested to Hellion prior to him dropping of the face of the earth...
Old 08-16-2006, 03:11 PM   #113
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:

Gary McAllister
McAllister Racing

back in the days...the Jag was my favorite followed by the Nissan:

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:05 PM   #114
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Smile

Quote:

Gary McAllister
McAllister Racing

Gary, that's what's nice about Tamiya's new F103GT, the 190mm pan car. The chassis is low enough so that you can realistically model these very low slung cars. They did a nice job on the Courage body too. I've never liked TC bodies and in 1/8 scale no one wants to run anything else but that awful Lola. This could really grow into a class that represents today's LeMans Prototypes as well as older World Sports Cars (Ferrari 333sp, BMW V12LMR, etc.) if more chassis manufacturers (Team Assoc., re-designed RC10L?) and other body companies too (how about it ProtoForm?).
Attached Thumbnails
LMP Body for Touring Cars-58376_l.jpg  
Ed Delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:16 PM   #115
Tech Master

Well I like the Dp cars and back in this post I said I wish someone would make them the odd shape would allow room for shock towers, and it would be a good body for touring cars / But on the other hand our cars do not have shock towers and our next touring car will not have shock towers as well.
It will be the same Chassis as our our X10P4 but with laydown shock system like our F2006F1.

It will be based off of our F206F1 like this.

Selling HPI F10 Front Knuckles and Complete Rear Axles W/Diffs Ball and Gear.
W/12mm TC Hubs & W/14mm F1 Hubs Good for std bearing Pans cars. STD Bearings!
eBay item number: 200947192161,200947193175,200947187493

Last edited by Marty Peterson; 08-03-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Marty Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:47 PM   #116
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default LMP

Check out a new one from Tamiya.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/it...oduct-id=58376
Attached Thumbnails
LMP Body for Touring Cars-header_58376.jpg  
XrayEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:50 PM   #117
Tech Adept

sorry, didn't see the post above for the same car.
XrayEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:56 PM   #118
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrayEye
I got mine last Monday, the detail Tamiya has put into the shell is amazing, but there is no way that it will fit of a touring car chassis without major modifications which would ruin the body.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:01 PM   #119
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Delgado
This could really grow into a class that represents today's LeMans Prototypes as well as older World Sports Cars (Ferrari 333sp, BMW V12LMR, etc.) if more chassis manufacturers (Team Assoc., re-designed RC10L?) and other body companies too (how about it ProtoForm?).
I am hoping that too, but Protoform isn't exactly known for making realistic bodies and won't it turn out think this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
Except after a year or two this Speed 8....

Would look like this Speed 8....

And novices would loose interest because the cars look goofy...like door stops.

A lot of you weren't around for the rise and fall of 1/10th pan cars. I was. I have heard this all before and saw a class I loved to race get killed by well meaning guys with what seemed like good ideas.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:03 PM   #120
Tech Elite

i've made it easy. i just run my 10L2 now.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote