R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-08-2006, 10:18 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Sammy, like I said in the other thread I love the body.

Just a quick question, have you tried to fit the body to any other chassis other than the TC3. By looking at my FK05, I noticed that the front body mounts are slightly further out compared to the TC3 (Using the front shocks as a reference).

This would lead to the body posts sitting in the upright section of the shell.

Apart from that, awesome work.
Ben
Old 06-08-2006, 10:32 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

This is some innovative work. Iam highly impressed and definetly curious. I have an idea to maybe furthur understand the figures. Why dont you do what you have done there with say a regular touring car body, say a Mazda 6, and see what the figures are with that.
aN4rK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:22 PM   #18
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by aN4rK1
I have an idea to maybe furthur understand the figures. Why dont you do what you have done there with say a regular touring car body, say a Mazda 6, and see what the figures are with that.
He actually already thought of this

Sammy, about the GT bodies, have seen any of the bodies made by Chevronmodel? They have a Bugatti and 350GT body I think.
XrayFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:46 PM   #19
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Oh my Lord, Anders and I actually agree on something!
Ah! There is hope for you too
Anders Myrberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:49 PM   #20
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Myrberg
Great work! I just donīt know if these numbers are good or bad.
The only thng that I like to comment is the position of the front body posts. Are you sure we can get the clips in between there?
This is where 1/12 should go, if you ask me.

Great Job on the Body!!!!!!!!!!! SammyXp

As for the numbers from what I am told the Drag needs to be less of the 2 sets of Numbers for it is easy to generate downforce it is hard to get it to have Minimal Areo Drag or minimal drag coefficient.

But it is a sweet body!!!!!!!!!!!

I can not wait to get one.

Selling HPI F10 Front Knuckles and Complete Rear Axles W/Diffs Ball and Gear.
W/12mm TC Hubs & W/14mm F1 Hubs Good for std bearing Pans cars. STD Bearings!
eBay item number: 200947192161,200947193175,200947187493
Marty Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 05:36 AM   #21
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyXp
XrayFK, what GT class are you thinking about?
What do you think of these?

Old 06-09-2006, 05:44 AM   #22
Tech Master

Booth of them extreamly popular in Japan for Stock motor racing. Works very good. Popular in Sweden some years ago.
Anders Myrberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:03 AM   #23
Tech Master

Nice but I would like to see something like this

Last edited by Marty Peterson; 08-03-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:23 AM   #24
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Peterson
Nice but I would like to see something like this
All sweet cars, what do you think of the Panoz?
Old 06-09-2006, 07:19 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Birky, I don't have access to any other touring cars, but I did study a few pictures of the popular kits and I didn't see anything that was a show-stopper. The body mounts might not line up just right, but I figured it was the kind of thing a racer would be willing to work with in order to achieve this level of performance.

aN4rK1, I definitely plan on modeling up some kind of popular TC shell to do a side-by-side comparison. Probably the Stratus.

XrayFK, what cars are those Chevronmodel bodies based on? Or are they generic (crowd pleaser type)? I prefer working on scale replicas, but if I end up going into significant numbers of production, I might do a generic to get away from licensing issues.

Marty, I remember watching those Daytona Prototypes at Barber a few years back and thinking they were the most awkward looking prototypes on the planet (what's with the cushy 2-seater position?) but they are definitely growing on me. Particularly the Brumos Porsche. The Riley is getting better, though.
SammyXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:31 AM   #26
Tech Master

Yep sammy they were kinda odd to look at and still are I guess I would drop the bubble top and wide windscreen

Well just like everything I do it is so far out in left field Like the F1 body and cars and our New Touring car

From the Side!!

Last edited by Marty Peterson; 08-03-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:34 AM   #27
Tech Elite

You'd definitely have to twist the body posts, it's no big dead and it wouldn't be the first time either.

The Daytona Prototypers would probably make excellent RC bodies, they look like they were made to be copied in 1/10th scale. I made a suggestion to DaHellion, but I haven't seen him around here in ages, Dale are YOU reading this?? Hahahaha....

Sammy, I'm just not sure if I can handle going back to school. The only good thing I can think of is Coeds... hahahaha.... My wife if an EE, graduate of Cooper Union, if you know your engineering schools you know Cooper. She's never used her degree, I know more than she does... hahaha.... I got accepted to the 2 schools I wanted to go to, RPI and MIT and then decided to do something totally different, yea I know I'm a moron...
Old 06-09-2006, 08:50 AM   #28
Tech Regular

the GTP prototype bodies where in fashion about 15 years ago, when everything was 1/10th pan car. the low nose design would be a natural for the pan chasis. Too bad the GTP class is now dead.

I beleive Gary Mcallister still has Toyota GTP body, check out his website. I think it is Mcallisterracing.com

maybe a mlp f1 chasis would be more appropriate, it has canileverd shocks and no shock towers.

If marty and you would work together, I can easily see a Gtp type car. I would definitely be interested in participating in a GTP class again. I used to dream of an 1/10 GTP chasis with rear independent suspension.

I feel like a little kid again.

I am definitely on the same page as you and marty.

Wayne
nagatahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:02 AM   #29
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

The daytona Prototypes weird canopy came about for two reasons. #1 Driver safety and #2 Spectators able to see the drivers insdie working!!!

The tiny cars and tiny cockpits of the super fast le mans prototypes we all love were very dangerous for the driver when they crashed. There bodies and helmets would get bashed into the cockpit interior.

I wish you luck-this is the way I wish 12th scale would go for sure as Josh Cyruls' realistic bodies hes made are gorgeous!! 1/10th LMP cars would be cool too, as long as they dont start looking ridiculous by being too narrow and stubby to fit TC proportions or "lumpy" to fit over the shock towers, etc.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:12 AM   #30
Tech Regular

vtl1180ny, I graduated from NJIT, and one of my professors was from Cooper. Talked it up big time. Quite an unconventional entrance process.
I agree that the DP cars might be perfectly suited for 10th scale TC. The canopy and front nose seem like they would be easy to massage in order to clear that from trans/shock tower.

I actually have two associated pan cars at home. A 235mm and an SS. Plenty of GTP bodies for that low chassis. I can't imagine how cool it would be to run an AWD TC with a low slung LMP body with appreciable downforce, though! Talk about grip!

Ray, I didn't know about the logic behind the DP form. Makes sense, I guess. I guess we need to imagine how unusual everyone thought the Group C cars were when they first took shape.

Regarding proportions - this thing is actually pretty close. According to this site, the R8 is 183" long and 78" wide. This design is 17.5" long (10.5th scale) and 7.5" wide (10.4th scale). Ratio of proportions for the real car are 2.35 (length/width), while this shell is 2.33. Just a wee bit wider, I guess.
SammyXp is offline   Reply With Quote