R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-09-2006, 01:11 AM   #91
Tech Apprentice

Dave - So, one for the wet car and one for the dry car with the same number and then you won't need to hassle race control when you switch cars!

I ran one of the pre-production (it was in heatshrink!) i-PTs for Terry as part of a test at West London the other week and it performed perfectly.
Mike Haswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:37 AM   #92
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceRacing
Terry,

Absolutly brilliant idea!

I'm aware you have been working on this for some time, glad to see it come to market at last!

Not sure about the idea of different pricing for "failed, bin it" as opposed to "working, please return" options. I suspect the biggest market share will be those who run different classes and can have 1 number throughout. You need to encourage take up in this area and this is best achieved by offering the same price differential as replacing a broken one.

But hey, what do I know!

Dave
Hi Dave, yes it has taken a while longer than we anticipated!! Re pricing the problem we have is that in the US and other countries our prices need to be affordable to be attractive to people otherwise we think they'll not bother and stick with AMB, it's not easy to overcome the hurdle in people's minds of the fact that our i-PT is not an AMB PT so they're a bit concerned. By offering the "failed, bin it" option we thought we'd have the best chance of people switching to the i-PT, at least initially. But so far I've been very pleased with the positive response, it's very encouraging!!

Anyway, but hey what do we know?

Last edited by Terry_S; 06-09-2006 at 07:34 AM.
Terry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:42 AM   #93
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Haswell
Dave - So, one for the wet car and one for the dry car with the same number and then you won't need to hassle race control when you switch cars!

I ran one of the pre-production (it was in heatshrink!) i-PTs for Terry as part of a test at West London the other week and it performed perfectly.
Hi Mike, thanks for your assistance on that wet day (early on at least!) your help was very much appreciated. A complimentary i-PT will be on its way to you very soon!!

As far as i-PT testing goes, no missed laps nor will there be unless you happen to miss the loop or your power lead breaks!!
Old 06-09-2006, 04:00 AM   #94
Tech Regular

If you already have multiple AMB PT's why not send one off to be cloned, and cash in by selling the others at the silly prices they still reach on ebay...

With a bit of luck you may even make a profit and get the better i-pt's as replacements.

And with regard to clashes, i think there should be an unwritten rule that people do not sell their cloned pt's unless they sell all to the same person??
jakeburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:07 AM   #95
Tech Regular

Terry, what about offering a service where people send you their working pt to stick on the clone system and store the information just in case it breaks down out of warranty they can then order an i-pt, got to be worth a few pounds to protect your pt investment???

If you are able to clone from a dead pt, i guess the option isn't needed??
jakeburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:30 AM   #96
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeburns
If you already have multiple AMB PT's why not send one off to be cloned, and cash in by selling the others at the silly prices they still reach on ebay...

With a bit of luck you may even make a profit and get the better i-pt's as replacements.
Jake, it seems like that could work for those with multiple AMB PT's. Any multiple i-PT order prices we offer could make it a more attractive proposition, but you would have to order all the i-PT's at the same time to get the better price. It's an idea certainly worth considering.

Quote:
And with regard to clashes, i think there should be an unwritten rule that people do not sell their cloned pt's unless they sell all to the same person??
I guess we all expect people in the racing community across all race classes to do what's best for each other. If it helps racing and the racers then it must be a good thing and worth following an 'unwritten rule'.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:53 AM   #97
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Terry, what about offering a service where people send you their working pt to stick on the clone system and store the information just in case it breaks down out of warranty they can then order an i-pt, got to be worth a few pounds to protect your pt investment???

If you are able to clone from a dead pt, i guess the option isn't needed??
Yes that is a possibility. As a matter of fact we are currently cloning and storing numbers ready for when the i-PT is in production, but as a safeguard it's definately worth thinking about. We can't clone from a dead PT. If it's not working when it's powered up then it's not possible to clone it. If the LED doesn't light up on the PT it may actually still be ok it would need to be tested across a loop to see if it's working.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:05 AM   #98
Tech Regular

so what do you mean by broken then?
agower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:28 AM   #99
Tech Fanatic

Andrew, I refer to broken as just a broken power lead. When the leads get old and brittle on AMB PT's (glow fuel and motor spray can also make plastic go hard) the lead can break off close to the case which is not good.

Damaged is often the result of crash damage, the case has been dragged, squashed or bent etc, it's surprising what can happen to a PT. I have seen one that was literally snapped in half! Whatever has happened the PT must be operating ok for it to be cloned.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:44 AM   #100
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Terry....I understand that the number that is on the outside of the AMB PT is not the number that you need to clone. Can you tell us how we can get this number that you need then we can just give you that number and you can make a clone using that number? Wouldnt it be easier for customers to call you or email with the number that you need to clone the PT with out sending in their old one? Unless there is no way to get that number with out some software or device that you have come up with. Just wondering if there would be an easier way to go about this then sending in my PT.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:08 AM   #101
Tech Fanatic

Kevin the number is a coded signal that needs to be 'read out' of a PT so its ID number can be cloned. There's no way of doing the cloning without having the PT. It would certainly be a lot easier if we could work from a number sent by email or by phone!
Old 06-09-2006, 08:14 AM   #102
Tech Fanatic

I have got a number of PM's and emails to reply to, so if you've contacted me please be patient as I'm still trying to catch up. I will be able to do a lot more later today, if not, then hopefully over the weekend. Apologies for taking a while to reply.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:17 AM   #103
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Terry.....With out giving out too much info from your company is there a way that anyone with a scoring software program can get that number or do you have some code or something written to get that info when a transponder crosses a loop? I know that you cant give away all your tricks but if you know of a way for us racers to go to the track and ask the race director to look up a file or something in the program that might help.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:18 AM   #104
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_S
Kevin the number is a coded signal that needs to be 'read out' of a PT so its ID number can be cloned. There's no way of doing the cloning without having the PT. It would certainly be a lot easier if we could work from a number sent by email or by phone!
Kevin, what Terry isnt saying it but my understanding is that the code in encrypted on there and they are somehow unencrypting it. Its not as simple as running your PT under the loop and getting a # out of the software. Its probably more along the lines of hacking the PT.

It is probably along the lines of an RFID hack (those badges you use to scan into a building). There are readers that can steal the signal and then clone it to break into buildings, etc. Im guessing it is the same basic concept.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:19 AM   #105
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

terry,

with your signal boosting, used to eliminate missed laps, will we be at a larger risk of double counting? especially on small carpet tracks that don't have infields. right now, our short lap lockout is a used pretty often with our track layouts. it's not always possible to protect the loop from passing traffic in another adjacent lane. will the i-PT require more physical isolation from the loop if you do not want it to trip?

- don harbert -