R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-11-2007, 02:53 AM   #571
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor
A bit off topic so please forgive me.
Id like to know if there is alternative hardware/equipment available for a timing system other than AMB ???
Hi razzor, no problem if it's about lap counting we're here to help.

There are alternatives but none that work as reliably in all conditions and for all race classes.

If you're involved in serious racing where accurate timing and lap counting is important there's really no other system to compete, it's the standard for rc car racing everywhere. For the smaller scale cars there are other alternative systems that can be used, mainly because the cars are not as fast and the tracks are small. A look around the other forums should help you with more info.
Terry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:22 AM   #572
Tech Apprentice

Hi Terry,

My i-PT arrived safe today, blue LED in grey cover looks awesome!!

Thanks again!

Dave
Old 05-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #573
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_S
Hi razzor, no problem if it's about lap counting we're here to help.

There are alternatives but none that work as reliably in all conditions and for all race classes.

If you're involved in serious racing where accurate timing and lap counting is important there's really no other system to compete, it's the standard for rc car racing everywhere. For the smaller scale cars there are other alternative systems that can be used, mainly because the cars are not as fast and the tracks are small. A look around the other forums should help you with more info.
Thanks T
I know AMB is teh standard its just for us in SA its a very expensive exercise to get a system for our local club.
Seeing that it needs to be imported a system works out around R40000 to R45000 thats like $5700 to $6400 after shipping and customs duty and vat.

Just have to stick it out a bit longer with our old AMB 20 system
Thanks for the answer though.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 02:29 AM   #574
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaSoul
Hi Terry,

My i-PT arrived safe today, blue LED in grey cover looks awesome!!

Thanks again!

Dave
Hi Dave,

That's great, glad you like it!!

Terry
Old 05-12-2007, 02:46 AM   #575
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor
Thanks T
I know AMB is teh standard its just for us in SA its a very expensive exercise to get a system for our local club.
Seeing that it needs to be imported a system works out around R40000 to R45000 thats like $5700 to $6400 after shipping and customs duty and vat.

Just have to stick it out a bit longer with our old AMB 20 system
Thanks for the answer though.
I agree $5700 to $6400 is very expensive. If you stick it out you never know what might come along in the future. The old AMB20 system is what keeps a lot of clubs going. It's not a good situation. We've made our own AMB20 PT's (the MRT T1-10) they're helping clubs that don't have too many handout transponders left.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:54 PM   #576
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:40 PM   #577
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to akura2 Send a message via Yahoo to akura2

dam!... missed it again... I was away from home for the past couple of months taking care of my mom, and I came back as soon as she passed away... and I missed the blue transponder deal again!.... luck just isn't on my side
akura2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:02 AM   #578
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

Hey Guys i have been holdingoff on getting one of these PT's, due to them being new.. Now that they have been out for some time how are the quality issues.. have any of you had any issues?? I have had my AMB for 4 years, and it looks a bit ruff i was looking at getting one of these but i want it to last just as long as my current one.. also do they come in red??? thanks
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:09 PM   #579
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbs
Hey Guys i have been holdingoff on getting one of these PT's, due to them being new.. Now that they have been out for some time how are the quality issues.. have any of you had any issues?? I have had my AMB for 4 years, and it looks a bit ruff i was looking at getting one of these but i want it to last just as long as my current one.. also do they come in red??? thanks
I pulled the black wire out of my amb, sent it in and got 2 clones back shortly after (this was about 2 months ago) I run both of them each weekend and have had zero problems or missed laps, looking at the screen the strength of signal is waaaay higher than the rest of the chumpies still running their old ambs hehehe
[url=http://www.cfxpaintworks.com/][color=DarkOrange]- CFX Paintworks -[/color][/url]
[COLOR=DarkSlateGray]- Team Ertrachter Factor - [/COLOR]
If my last name were Oxlong, I would name my kid Mike... yup Mike Oxlong
-Heywood Jablome

I don't want to pay for my sig, so yawl figure it out...
Big Rigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:35 PM   #580
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by akura2
dam!... missed it again... I was away from home for the past couple of months taking care of my mom, and I came back as soon as she passed away... and I missed the blue transponder deal again!.... luck just isn't on my side
Sorry to hear about your mom akura2.

The special deal had to end, the i-PT costs us too much to manufacture and we have to set a realistic price. All i-PT's are effectively custom built to order, quality doesn't come cheap!
Old 05-15-2007, 01:36 PM   #581
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet

terry what is the cost of the pt's now ?
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:39 PM   #582
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet
terry what is the cost of the pt's now ?
AMB PT's cost more than i-PT's, I guess you mean the price of i-PT's? The standard blue ones are $79 each and the other custom versions are $89 each. I'm not sure but I think AMB's are $90+ each new these days.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:58 PM   #583
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbs
Hi burbs, I'm sure you'll get the answer from the guys who've been using their i-PT's for a while now. Big Rigg for one has experienced the i-PT advantage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rigg
had zero problems or missed laps, looking at the screen the strength of signal is waaaay higher than the rest of the chumpies still running their old ambs hehehe
We don't really need to include a booster circuit in the i-PT but it's there as an extra insurance so that laps won't get missed, something that's not the case with the AMB PT's. The higher strength signal (at all times not just when the supply input is higher) means better lap counting. The i-PT works down to a very low voltage well below the 4V minimum of the AMB PT, so even without the booster it will work without problems.

One AMB PT is meant to last for all the years you keep racing but in reality it's not the case. Yours is 4 years old and looks a bit worse for wear no doubt, even if the case is ok the leads don't last especially with wear and tear changing between cars etc. With the i-PT the lead is designed to be easily replaced so no worries and you get a transponder pretty much for life!

The i-PT is 100% waterproof and is unaffected by fuel. It's slightly smaller than the AMB originals and you can choose between a blue, smoke, purple, green, orange, yellow or a clear case. You can even have it red if you prefer!! The LED (light) is also available customised to your preference, you can choose between blue, white, amber, green or red. The choice is yours but a blue case and blue LED version is cheaper. I also forgot the lead length can be anything up to 8" (200mm) long.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:47 PM   #584
Tech Master

Standard i-PT - 49.50 ($79USD) each, or 39.50 ($65USD) each when trading in your original AMBrc PT.

- i was looking at this off of rclaps.com. is this still accurate/correct?

- do i send mine in first with the application, then pay thru Paypal?

Last edited by fast-ho-cars; 05-15-2007 at 09:02 PM.
fast-ho-cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:52 AM   #585
Tech Fanatic

It's 49.50 (GB Pounds) or $79USD each, 39.50 or $65 each when trading in your original AMB PT. The trade in price is useful if your PT is old and broken.

The form at www.rclaps.com is correct, it's needed to send along with your original PT when ordering i-PT's.

Payment is made by PayPal when we have your i-PT order made and ready.