R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-05-2006, 11:10 AM   #241
Tech Regular

I can vouch for the honest business practice of Clive and Terry. They developed this product with racers in mind. If there was any thought that it would cause problems to race directors they would not have done it. Sometime you have do things that might be at slight risk to abuse when in the wrong hands but if you do not then we would all be worse off as a whole.

The real danger we have is that AMB disapear with no alternative. At least we all know that the rc world can stand on it's own two feet without relying on one manufacture to keep things ticking over.

Something Terry failed to put in his FAQ is that the unit is much more robust than an amb one. Because the circuit is sealed inside a block of epoxy resin the unit is almost indestructable.
JevUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 03:35 PM   #242
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JevUK
I can vouch for the honest business practice of Clive and Terry. They developed this product with racers in mind. If there was any thought that it would cause problems to race directors they would not have done it. Sometime you have do things that might be at slight risk to abuse when in the wrong hands but if you do not then we would all be worse off as a whole.

The real danger we have is that AMB disapear with no alternative. At least we all know that the rc world can stand on it's own two feet without relying on one manufacture to keep things ticking over.

Something Terry failed to put in his FAQ is that the unit is much more robust than an amb one. Because the circuit is sealed inside a block of epoxy resin the unit is almost indestructable.
I don't think anybody was doubting their honesty. What he was saying is that in time there WILL be problems. Lets say what if someone decides to get out of racing and has ten cloned transponders, what would prevent him from selling them separately let's say on ebay to ten different buyers? What if three of those buyers race at the same tracks? I know there's a lot of ifs but I can see problems in the near future. How many transponders has AMB sold? How many cloned units are out there now? How many cloned units will there be in five years? The possibilities are endless and so are the problems that are bound to occur.

Also, do you really think AMB may go out of business?? I highly doubt it since they manufacture scoring equipment for everything from NASCAR to bicycle racing and far beyond. And if they did, how would these copied transponders help the RC business since they are only duplicate signal emitting diodes. Does Terry and crew make a complete scoring system with decoder? Don't get me wrong as I think it's a great idea but I forsee many things that will and can go wrong.
John Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 05:17 PM   #243
Tech Regular

Considering the PT will have your name on them I don't think people will be all that egar to buy them 2nd hand. People should research what they are buying, once they realise they are clones they should know not to buy it without knowing for sure that there are no other pt's with the same code out there.

That is the one thing people should be aware of when buying any personal PT be it mrt or amb. It could have been cloned by the previous owner any number of times. If mrt did not do it someone else can.

Any potential for abuse is not a fault of mrt, it is a fault with amb for not requiring each transponder to be registered on a central database.

No body can claim to own the code that their transpoder contains. We have to give benifit of the doubt to the rc community that they will be intelligent enough not to abuse it and make sure other don't either(by buying them).

Either way I believe this speculation is unfounded and we will very rarely see these clashes. I don't think for the sake of 1 clash every blue moon mrt should not go ahead with this project.

I know it's unlikely that we would not be able to get new amb transponders anymore. But if it happened I'm sure Clive and Teryy would figure a way of generating new numbers.

You should be carefull what you wish for, because amb could start charging $200 for a replacement pt soon .
Old 08-05-2006, 09:06 PM   #244
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JevUK
You should be carefull what you wish for, because amb could start charging $200 for a replacement pt soon .
Yep, and I'll assume that if Exxon raised their gas prices to 5.00 a gallon, shell would leave theirs at 3.15, right?

I thought it was an option to have your name on it, or is that standard protocol??
Old 08-06-2006, 01:28 AM   #245
Tech Regular

I guess you did not know that wholesale Oil prices are fixed throughout the world did you? If one company could afford to undercut the other and still make money they would, that's capatilism.

Terry has already said he is selling them for the lowest price he can. As amb keep putting their prices to use their monolopy for profit, MRT will carry charging as low as they can. In the UK an AMB transponder already cost 65, yet Teryy is only charging 55 for his, yet it involve MUCH more work to produce. The amb one is mass produced and would not require virtualy any hands on work, the components inside are no where near as costly as the MRT one.

So for the same price or less than an amb, you get a much better product that cost much more money and time to make. The only reason this is possible is because Clive and Terry work so hard and still charge as low prices as possible. If amb transpoders go up in price you can be sure that MRT ones will not.

AFAIK you have to have your name embedded n it.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:47 AM   #246
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have been waiting on buying a transponder and over a year+ and have only seen the price go up.

Looks like I still have no choice but to buy the AMB first to obtain the unique id.

Just a curiousity question.

Is there any variance to the distance from the finish line that the PT will register from?
butrflynlambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:53 AM   #247
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_S
Hi STLNLST, yes with your name it makes it a real personal transponder. We make i-PT's to the details entered on the form at www.rclaps.com (note the price shown is not the discount price on our offer, offer is on until end of September) so make sure you write your name clearly on the form. We can sort out the details for the case, LED and leads later by email.

Hi Racingfreak6
You have to send us your AMB PT to have the number cloned and get i-PT's made, we can't make them otherwise.

-------
For all the guys who have sent me PM's.. thank you. I will reply asap but I do have quite a few to answer so please be patient!

Also..

Note:
You need to follow the instructions supplied with your PT, it's important that a PT/i-PT is fitted correctly. Fitting on a graphite chassis or on its side will weaken the signal but because the i-PT has the maximum signal at all times it's not such a potential problem (with the AMB PT the signal is weaker if the battery voltage has dropped lower) because of the 6V boosted signal from the i-PT.
Terry, you will alway have 10% that will never get it or don't want to get it... The other 90% are the ones that you need to focus on and that will buy your product... You really need to post this info about the i-PT over on the nitro on-road forum as well... You will never hear true nitro on-road drivers [email protected]# and cry about cloning will stop the world... Or the price this and that... Nitro driver are always looking for a better more durable product to put in there cars... Just a thought and it can't hurt to share the info as well as profit... 02

RC_Alan

Last edited by rc_alan; 08-06-2006 at 01:31 PM.
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:24 AM   #248
Shop Owner

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to nnick Send a message via MSN to nnick Send a message via Yahoo to nnick Send a message via Skype™ to nnick

That's bery harsh comment regarding people who favor nitro or electric.

At my are the "nitro" arrays are complaing more and usually for stupid reasons (according to me thoughts)

So, please don't make such general comments

Nick

The #1 source for all your electric needs www.rcring.eu

Enjoy RCing....
R/C Tech #82
IRT #123

Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong

Team Xray T4'17, Team Xray X10'18, TOP Racing Rebel
nnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 10:17 AM   #249
Tech Adept

Does anyone know what FCC thing on the AMB PT for?
Not sure if this will violate the patents or any regulations????????

I did a little research about AMB system and these are interesting:

b) The customer acknowledges that the goods may include certain firmware imbedded therein. AMB hereby grants a license to customer to use the imbedded firmware in an AMB decoder, but only to the extent the decoder is used in connection with AMB hardware. AMB shall have the right to terminate the license immediately upon written notice to customer in case AMB has a reasonable belief that customer at any time has used the AMB decoder in connection with non-AMB hardware. Further, customer may not copy, compile, reverse compile, disassemble, translate, analyze, reverse engineer or attempt to reverse engineer the firmware, except as permitted by applicable law.

c) In addition, customer grants AMB the option to repurchase any AMB decoder if AMB has a reasonable belief that customer has used the AMB decoder in connection with non-AMB hardware. The repurchase price shall be the fair market value on the date AMB provides notice to customer that it intends to repurchase the decoder.
15) Patents and copyright
Product offered for sale by the company may be subject to patents or other such protective devices. To our best knowledge the goods sold by AMB do not violate patents or other protective devices. If ever a third party claims with the customer that the goods do indeed violate patents or other such protective devices, AMB will not be held liable by customer for any incidental or consequential damage resulting from this claim, including but not limited to costs of removal and reinstallation of goods, loss of goodwill, loss of profits or use, or payments that have to be made to a third party. AMB maintains full copyright in respect of our publications, company name, product names and logo. No part of them may be reproduced, transmitted or stored in retrieval systems in any form without prior written permission of AMB.

Well I'm a race director and I think that I will not take any risk letting these clone ones at my races then.
onroaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 10:22 AM   #250
Tech Adept

It will be interesting if Terry can come up with his own lap counting system to compete with AMB. He can make a big fortune...I guess...

Last edited by onroaddude; 08-06-2006 at 10:46 AM.
onroaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 12:22 PM   #251
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine

I don't know for sure but maybe AMB only has a patent in their home country.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:48 PM   #252
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slotmachine
I don't know for sure but maybe AMB only has a patent in their home country.
Yep, and in the USA and Canada and just about everywhere. This much I have to say...... time will tell!
Old 08-06-2006, 06:03 PM   #253
Tech Adept

An RFID timing system.

Adaptable to RC? Anyone anyone?
http://www.rfidtiming.com/RFID.htm
Old 08-06-2006, 06:15 PM   #254
Tech Adept

Looks like you could make your own. Unfortunately it would only be for your club without a widespread standard for implementation.

http://www.ti.com/rfid/shtml/prod-tr...ackaged-hifreq
Old 08-06-2006, 06:22 PM   #255
Tech Adept

looks like it is a common thought
http://www.rfidexchange.com/forum/to...SearchTerms=rc