Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New Improved Personal Transponder (i-PT) >

New Improved Personal Transponder (i-PT)

New Improved Personal Transponder (i-PT)

Old 06-14-2006, 01:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamBrainDamage
i found out AMB will repair a broken PT,
we have one with bad wire connection going into the PT
we called and they qouted us $50 to repair,but they looked up our number and told us it was still covered under warranty, but i do like the external tabs on the i-PT
Hi, from what I know AMB don't repair transponders. I think they offer a replacement but I'm not sure about the price. But as you say because the i-PT has external solder tabs a broken lead is not a problem, just change it!!

Re the warranty, the i-PT has a limited lifetime warranty, ie if it were to fail within the reasonable lifetime of the product and it had not been misused/abused/damaged we would replace it under warranty.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:35 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Terry_S
Hi, from what I know AMB don't repair transponders. I think they offer a replacement but I'm not sure about the price. But as you say because the i-PT has external solder tabs a broken lead is not a problem, just change it!!

Re the warranty, the i-PT has a limited lifetime warranty, ie if it were to fail within the reasonable lifetime of the product and it had not been misused/abused/damaged we would replace it under warranty.
I asked to have the damaged wires on a AMB repaired by them and they wanted 37 euro's + shipping + vat to repair it .... as u can imagine I am going to get an I-PT instead
Old 06-14-2006, 01:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As far as I know there are no "special" PT numbers, except for possibly AMB team drivers development etc. There is certainly no number 1234567 which someone said they had got and would like to have cloned! All AMBrc ID#'s are numbers and not names using letters or alpha-numeric ID's.
Correct. There are no "special" numbers. The numbers are generated by a computer not manually defined. However every once in a while the computer does come up with a number that is somewhat special. These are often given to people working at AMB or team drivers well known to AMB. The PT with number 1234567 does actually exist as does 2222222. Both of these are used by a well known team driver
Old 06-14-2006, 02:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by boytoys
Terry

You should get funded or raise some funds to break down the monopoly that AMB has in everything to do with lapcounting..

This is the type of positive energy, committment and knowledge that should be harnessed to outside of just R/C.

AMB has a global market share which means whoever breaks the monopoly will win. I see someone smart like you. I also see someone who will be even smarter to starting funding your company !! any smart money out there for TERRY and his team !!

Come on you Cali boys.. pull some strings. Get some angels/VC. Terry. I want to subscribe your A shares, Terry..!!

Great idea and I am all with you on this one.
Daniel
BoyToys & Little Scientist
Today's Hobby Makes Future Engineers
Hi Daniel and thanks!!!

Both my brother Clive (who designed the i-PT) and myself race r/c cars and we are always looking for ways to improve the design and performance of the electronic products used in racing. We're a relatively small company and could certainly benefit from angels/VC and financial backing or assistance to help speed up and advance the projects we're currently working on and have planned.

One big one that is certainly expensive (in both time and money) is brushless. It's no secret that we're developing what we consider to be a 'world beating' brushless system but due to unforseen delays and also not least a very big r/c company letting us down we could be much further on with development. Developing new and especially innovative products takes a lot time and money. Our new MX range of ESC's have proved to be both innovative and popular and also so we're told they are the only truly 100% waterproof competition speedo, that's something we're very pleased about!!
Old 06-14-2006, 02:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by tonyv
Correct. There are no "special" numbers. The numbers are generated by a computer not manually defined. However every once in a while the computer does come up with a number that is somewhat special. These are often given to people working at AMB or team drivers well known to AMB. The PT with number 1234567 does actually exist as does 2222222. Both of these are used by a well known team driver
Hi Tony, we were fairly sure the 1234567 was used by AMB as it is quite a special number!
Old 06-14-2006, 04:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

or8ital and John,

The i-PT is not a "knock off" it is an IMPROVED Personal Transponder!! If it were just a "knock off" it would be a lot cheaper. For example the electronic design is more advanced and includes an advanced voltage regulator circuit that can operate in normal conditions down to 1.5V (AMB PT is 4V) and in conditions when the power dips or drops to 0V (no input) it can keep working for several seconds which means NO MISSED LAPS. The i-PT offers advantages over the existing AMB PT. The reason it costs more is because it costs us more to make than it costs AMB to make theirs. If we could sell the i-PT for less then we would without question.
Terry_S, to me it is a "kmock off" b/c the features you talk about are of no use to me. Ive had my PT for a very long time now and have never had any of the problems you talk about. Unfortunately this hobby is all about perception so Im sure your item will sell. Its just not for me. If Im going to buy a PT for $90 I might as well get the original backed by the company that I know will be around for years. I hate having to spend that much and dont like the fact that they are a monopoly but thats how it is.

Im sure I speak for a lot of people on here when I say we would love to see a lower cost PT that has the cloning feature. If you could pull that off then you might have an AMB killing (though if they went away you wouldnt have anything to clone). Perhaps you should look at a lower cost version without the bug booster, etc. Basically just a cloned version of the existing PT.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:43 AM
Tech Regular

Hi Tony, we were fairly sure the 1234567 was used by AMB as it is quite a special number!
True. But there is one top driver that actually works at AMB...
Old 06-14-2006, 06:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by or8ital
Terry_S, to me it is a "kmock off" b/c the features you talk about are of no use to me. Ive had my PT for a very long time now and have never had any of the problems you talk about. Unfortunately this hobby is all about perception so Im sure your item will sell. Its just not for me. If Im going to buy a PT for $90 I might as well get the original backed by the company that I know will be around for years. I hate having to spend that much and dont like the fact that they are a monopoly but thats how it is.

Im sure I speak for a lot of people on here when I say we would love to see a lower cost PT that has the cloning feature. If you could pull that off then you might have an AMB killing (though if they went away you wouldnt have anything to clone). Perhaps you should look at a lower cost version without the bug booster, etc. Basically just a cloned version of the existing PT.
That's ok, fair comment. Many people don't have any problems and will stay with what the majority uses, but for those that don't want to and like what we're offering an i-PT could be an attractive alternative. I'm sure there's a fair number of broken AMB PT's out there that could be replaced by an improved i-PT
Old 06-14-2006, 07:06 AM
Tech Master

That's ok, fair comment. Many people don't have any problems and will stay with what the majority uses, but for those that don't want to and like what we're offering an i-PT could be an attractive alternative. I'm sure there's a fair number of broken AMB PT's out there that could be replaced by an improved i-PT
I will for sure get one of these babies when i have a couple of weeks off for sending mine. Could do with one or two actually for my spare car and 12th even though my PT works flawlessly...
Old 06-14-2006, 08:30 AM
Tech Regular

same here
Old 06-14-2006, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

same here
Old 06-14-2006, 02:37 PM
Shop Owner

Even if you don't any problems with your pt I'm sure you agree having same number pt for all your cars is at least handy

If manufacturer claims it's better (and having used some of their products I'm sure it does) it's even better since it costs less than the "original" pt.

Nick
Old 06-14-2006, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

Okay, here's a silly question I'm sure..... Are they available as of yet, or is this still in the planning stages? Does anybody have one they've been testing?
Old 06-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Tech Master

H e l l o, anybody??
Old 06-14-2006, 10:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by John Warner
H e l l o, anybody??
It's the middle of the night in the UK, give 'em a chance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.