R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-11-2006, 09:56 PM   #136
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

just out of curiosity, why are you keeping the original working PT, why not return it. with the shippment of the I-PT's
#60 of the Original 100
If your not part of the solution
Your part of the problem !
JasonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:16 PM   #137
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintingRoly
Terry- I got a question that may have been answered already. If I send you my working AMB PT and want to get 2 clones do I get my origonal PT and the 2 clones back?
Terry: This is kinda exciting so I know you got a LOT of questions about it but can you answer Roly's question for me too?

Thanks -Dan
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:19 PM   #138
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veecee
Terry, any thoughts on selling new AMB transponders together with a iPT's as a package for people who don't currently have PT's??
Hi again Vincent, we have had a lot of people ask this question, and there is one way we could possibly do this which has been suggested before. If someone does a trade in and agrees to allow their number to also be used by somebody else (best if in another country where there's no chance of both people racing at the same time) then effectively they get an i-PT at a cheaper price, say USA/UK deal, USA price is $55 for a trade in ie $20 less than the normal $75 trade in price (see form here) They help each other and a person without a PT can then have one. I guess it would work if people agree to help each other.

Jason a lot of times the PT is not in a good condition, it may be damaged/broken, causing interference or as I just had a guy say his PT is working intermittently and he would like a new working i-PT. With these people they don't want their PT back as it's pretty much worthless.
Terry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:26 PM   #139
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKat
Terry: This is kinda exciting so I know you got a LOT of questions about it but can you answer Roly's question for me too?

Thanks -Dan
Hi Dan, yes that's possible you could order 2 i-PT clones and get your PT back.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:39 AM   #140
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniz24
Can I order specific numbers or even better, letters?
I know my friend has AMB PT with "Teddy" shown instead of numbers
What's up Danny,

As far as I know, he got a "special" PT from his old boss, when he use to drive Electric Touring car. My brother is also asking for that particular "special" PT from his boss. And Terry, it's not the software, it's the PT, I am quite sure about that.

A.W
Pembalap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:45 AM   #141
Tech Fanatic

As far as I know there are no "special" PT numbers, except for possibly AMB team drivers development etc. There is certainly no number 1234567 which someone said they had got and would like to have cloned! All AMBrc ID#'s are numbers and not names using letters or alpha-numeric ID's.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:12 AM   #142

got my return email and at 89.00 for a I-pt not any saving for a knock-off I can buy transponders all day for 88.88 local and no wait and also can order from amb at 76.00 a pc in groups of 10 (not a bash just the truth )

this is a great idea if it was affordable in my area
hotwheels1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:43 AM   #143
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I have to agree with that. 89$'s is too much. Ive never had a problem with my transponder so I wouldnt spend the full cost to get a "knock off". Plus didnt another company try this once before and they were successfully sued by AMB? Not sure but I thought I heard that. They were yellow knock-offs?
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:55 PM   #144
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i found out AMB will repair a broken PT,
we have one with bad wire connection going into the PT
we called and they qouted us $50 to repair,but they looked up our number and told us it was still covered under warranty, but i do like the external tabs on the i-PT
www.vintagercracing.com/forum/
TeamBrainDamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:22 PM   #145
Tech Master

Okay, now I'm curious as to why a "knock-off" would cost as much as an original transponder direct from AMB. Also, does that include shipping from the UK or would that cost have to taken into consideration as well? Yes, I agree that I sort of remember AMB taking somebody to court that was copying PT's and selling them as clones. Word had it that there wasn't even a battle because it was a patent infringement, and so a lawsuit was in order and went in favor of AMB.
John Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:09 PM   #146
Tech Rookie

Send a message via MSN to boytoys

Terry

You should get funded or raise some funds to break down the monopoly that AMB has in everything to do with lapcounting..

This is the type of positive energy, committment and knowledge that should be harnessed to outside of just R/C.

AMB has a global market share which means whoever breaks the monopoly will win. I see someone smart like you. I also see someone who will be even smarter to starting funding your company !! any smart money out there for TERRY and his team !!

Come on you Cali boys.. pull some strings. Get some angels/VC. Terry. I want to subscribe your A shares, Terry..!!

Great idea and I am all with you on this one.
Daniel
BoyToys & Little Scientist
Today's Hobby Makes Future Engineers
boytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:33 AM   #147
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels1
got my return email and at 89.00 for a I-pt not any saving for a knock-off I can buy transponders all day for 88.88 local and no wait and also can order from amb at 76.00 a pc in groups of 10 (not a bash just the truth )

this is a great idea if it was affordable in my area
Bobby as I probably said in my return email we've not finalised our multiple order prices and the price I quoted was for just one i-PT. I think you were asking about multiple i-PT's for several cars, (I've replied to so many emails I can't remember what you asked!) anyway you will get a discount price for ordering more than one. The US$ price is based on the UK price of 55 each, the $/ exchange rate is not helping the price for you guys in the US, because we manufacture in the UK our costs do effect the price.

What you said is right "this is a great idea if it was affordable in my area" we can't do much about overseas order prices, shipping costs and the shipping delays etc. What we are offering is not a simple case of sell you an 'off the shelf' product, the first i-PT you order has to be cloned and then it and any subsequent i-PT's have to be custom made for each order, it all takes time which costs money and it's something we can't easily change.

We are offering to replace broken or damaged AMB PT's that would otherwise be useless with cloned i-PT's, and one advantage we're offering is that you can have a working transponder plus as many more as you want on the same ID# as spare PT's or for your other cars. As I've mentioned earlier our limited offer means you can send us your PT we clone it and send you an i-PT on the same ID number for $65 including shipping.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:51 AM   #148
Tech Apprentice

[QUOTE=John Warner] why a "knock-off" would cost as much as an original transponder [QUOTE]

It is not just a 'knock-off' but a bespoke item with improvements over the original and includes their bug booster which is $36 on its own.
The price over here in the UK for a single PT here is $110 and $103 if you buy ten!
Mike Haswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:05 AM   #149
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital
I have to agree with that. 89$'s is too much. Ive never had a problem with my transponder so I wouldnt spend the full cost to get a "knock off".
or8ital and John,

The i-PT is not a "knock off" it is an IMPROVED Personal Transponder!! If it were just a "knock off" it would be a lot cheaper. For example the electronic design is more advanced and includes an advanced voltage regulator circuit that can operate in normal conditions down to 1.5V (AMB PT is 4V) and in conditions when the power dips or drops to 0V (no input) it can keep working for several seconds which means NO MISSED LAPS. The i-PT offers advantages over the existing AMB PT. The reason it costs more is because it costs us more to make than it costs AMB to make theirs. If we could sell the i-PT for less then we would without question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital
Plus didnt another company try this once before and they were successfully sued by AMB? Not sure but I thought I heard that. They were yellow knock-offs?
I believe the company made a complete system that initially was compatible with AMB but after AMB changed their ID number encryption to stop the compatability the challenge was killed off and eventually the difficulty of producing an alternative system to compete against an already established system was their downfall. Lack of sales may have been why they went out of business. The system has to work with all the existing race control software etc, it has to be compatible to be popular and succeed.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:18 AM   #150
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Haswell
It is not just a 'knock-off' but a bespoke item with improvements over the original and includes their bug booster which is $36 on its own.
The price over here in the UK for a single PT here is $110 and $103 if you buy ten!
Thanks Mike you posted while I was writing my reply! As you point out and I think I've explained there are reasons why. We're not trying to charge more, we designed the i-PT to make an improved personal transponder. The reason we designed it was because some people do have missed laps due to power related problems.