R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-09-2006, 05:17 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It's ironic that Adrian started this thread. Adrian, how's it going, long time no talk!

We were a gas exclusive club that consisted of less than 2 dozen members. Economy wasn't going well and racers were quitting due to cost. To save the club, we did a bold and ballsy move.... We hosted 2004 Electric Nationals!

At that point we had nothing to lose but it was a lot of work and a lot of money involved. With less than 10 helpers total we hosted this week long event. We promoted it as going back to grass root racing... parking lot! A lot of people, I mean a lot weren't happy but the old timers enjoyed it a lot since that's where they started from. Whether it was a successful event, really have to talk to the racers. The factory guys or guys that travel a lot absolutely loved it, then you have the usual whiners and magazine journalists that complained. We had morning new crew showed up, radio broadcast so it attracted quite a few spectators

Anyway, the r/c scene was dying in our area, and because of the event it came back alive, not as well as the golden days, but we picked up quite a few new racers the same season and built on it the following year and every ear it had gotten better and better. We even added electric classes permanently on our races ever since.

Hosting a Nats is a pretty extreme tool to promote r/c racing in your area. It's a lot of work but it was well worth it for everyone that helped that week and for r/c racing in our area.

On a side note, big thanks again to Schumacher/Take Off and AE/Reedy for all the support for the event. We can never thank them enough!

Dom
Old 08-23-2006, 08:15 AM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I need a little help from you... Does anyone have a example of a flyer that announces a race?

Not the entry form, but a flyer you can leave posted at a business.

We are putting on a race here in Jackson, and one of the major sponsers would like a something they can post on their web site. The company is Bass Pro Shop, so this would get us great coverage, but all I have is the entry form, which people coming to watch are not going to care about what the classes are or hotel information.
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:38 AM   #33
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Here is a simply flyer we used for our series last year...
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost

Last edited by TimPotter; 07-16-2008 at 08:08 PM.
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:44 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPotter
Here is a simply flyer we used for our series last year...
Thanks this gives me some ideas....

Here is the entry form I currently have, but I need to get the hotels on here that are going to provide special rates for the people that are traveling in for this race. We have a good chance of making this into a Series running at the different Bass Pro Shop locations in different states...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pro Bass_Entry Form.pdf (215.8 KB, 190 views)
Old 08-23-2006, 08:57 AM   #35
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Here is another flyer I "Borrowed" the design queues from. I think it was the Nats a couple of years ago.. has some mistakes in it, but you get the idea.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost

Last edited by TimPotter; 07-16-2008 at 08:08 PM.
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:00 AM   #36
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjoy25
Most important tool would be bikini girls selling booze .
Just like the "19th hole" of a golf course lol,I always wondered how we could make r/c a little more entertaining...

Gold star awarded!

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:19 AM   #37
Tech Elite

While are running an on-road race, we will be showcasing Off-road and air R/C at this event at the breaks. The Bass Pro Shop that we are running at has no less then 200 to 300 cars in the parking lot on Saturday. So a lot of good newbies looking around... Oh yes, the girls also..
Old 08-24-2006, 12:14 PM   #38
Tech Elite

What do you get when you hold a R/C event in the parking lot of a Store that gets 10,000 customers a day?

I don't know either but in Novermber we will find out.... This location of Bass Pro Shop has 10,000 customer a day on an average. Do you think we will get some R/C exposure?

I will sure to update you here on how it goes.

Any R/C companies willing to help with the prizes, let me know...
Old 08-25-2006, 05:41 AM   #39
Tech Initiate

Default Club promotion

Hi

This isn't so much tools for promotion as a collection of things that we've tried and know works, it should translate OK to your side of the Atlantic

www.brca.org/BRCA/library/Club_Manual.pdf

Pages 59 to 64, cover club promotion.

Hope it helps.
JimSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:54 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Well the race is in the books, and it was a huge success, from both the racer's and Bass Pro's view. On Saturday, we had people watch 3 deep all around the track. We had plans, boats and off road demos. It was an R/C Event, and the racers really did not even notice all other activates going on.

We broke some of the ROAR rules (I hope ROAR is listening to this...), we allow LiPo in Mod class (next time it will be allowed in all classes, with the new 4200 the voltage issues is out the window), we allowed Novak's 13.5 BL motor, we grouped the A mains all together and ran them last, we resorted after each and every round. The track layout was a driver’s track, you could not purchase a win on this layout.

Not one person had anything bad to say about the race, layout, or the location. Let me repeat that, yes, it is true, not ONE person had anything bad to say. In fact both the racers and Bass Pro are asking “when is the next race”. Not to bad for person with only one year in the hobby. I think the key items, we had factory drivers show up, we gave an Xray 007 to last main in Stock (Stock Novice) Many thanks to RC America for making this happen. I think holding on to history is hurting people when they are trying to promote racing. Break the rules, run the race in a way that would make a normal and reasonable person want to come back. Have fun, be fair and forget about running it to the T with the ROAR Rules.

Bottom line we sold a lot of tires for the local hobby shops (I’m not with a hobby shop, just a racer that wanted to give back a little), kits (6 RRR kits sold and 8 Xray kits sold in the first week after the race). I believe that racers need to run the race, not hobby shops, sorry I’m know this is a general statement (not all LHS fall into this area), but the LHS are in it for the money, the racers are in it for racing, this is a big difference and it shows in how some of the races are ran.

We put this race together in 2 months, from the time we dreamed it up to race day.
Entries – 80, from a no name in the hobby, in a town that is not known for it’s R/C racing
People came from Canada, New York to run in this race.
Classes – Stock Sedan, 19T Sedan, Mod Sedan, Nitro Sportsmen and Nitro Expert (we had Mini on the list, but no entries).

I hope this helps you out and we will do this race again.