R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-05-2008, 09:26 AM   #211
Regional Moderator
 
mrrcguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Jonesboro Akansas
Posts: 3,157
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
The question we have to ask is what is in decline? Are new "race" kit sales down? Are RTR sales down, is racing down? What about the new electric air craft and the ease of getting started in planes. You can fly a plane in your front yard, something impossible just 10years ago. You know park flyers are up.

I don't think the RC hobby is in decline I think its focus has shifted. There are super cool cars that are coming out that have been poo-pooed by "racers". Cars from the HPI 5B to the Traxxas slash are not called race cars, and where (at least in the beginning dismissed) by the racing community.

I don't think that RC is in any kind of decline, the RC Racing car market just has more competition then before. I do know one thing, some classes are out of control and if that is not fixed for the most part rc car racing will go the same way as slot cars did in the 70's. It got to be just too much for most people.

I have to agree on this one. I too feel that the RC biz is doing fine. Sure the hobby shops are not doing so hot. Sure tracks are closing like never before. However, in my opinion the industry as a whole is still turning big bucks. I bet if there was a study done on RC internet sales compared to Store Front sales we would see that people are spending huge bucks, they are just going so on-line.

I think that when we see our local shops close and our favorite tracks crumble, it tends to give us the feeling that things are bad. However, I bet if you look in the right places, things are still on the up.

Does this mean the hobby is on the right path? Well, I guess to answer that I would be starting up that same old argument that we see pop up every couple months about buying local, and bla bla nobody listens, bla, bla, bla.

So, whatever.
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:57 AM   #212
Tech Adept
 
K Feath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 160
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrcguy View Post
I have to agree on this one. I too feel that the RC biz is doing fine. Sure the hobby shops are not doing so hot. Sure tracks are closing like never before. However, in my opinion the industry as a whole is still turning big bucks. I bet if there was a study done on RC internet sales compared to Store Front sales we would see that people are spending huge bucks, they are just going so on-line.

I think that when we see our local shops close and our favorite tracks crumble, it tends to give us the feeling that things are bad. However, I bet if you look in the right places, things are still on the up.

Does this mean the hobby is on the right path? Well, I guess to answer that I would be starting up that same old argument that we see pop up every couple months about buying local, and bla bla nobody listens, bla, bla, bla.

So, whatever.
I agree with this statement. The problem (IMO) is as people spend more and more online than in their local hobbyshop, there isn't any money for the hobbyshops to pay for the retail space for the track. I myself, like to hang out at the track and race. For me, its not about if I win or lose, but just going out and hangin' out with friends and putting the stress of the week behind me. And of course, the higher gass prices don't help much either. Just my .02
K Feath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:30 AM   #213
Tech Regular
 
nagatahawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 349
Default

I got out of t/c racing then rc racing in general last September. Last race I took 3rd in a spec class.

There are several reasons for me leaving RC:
1. touring cars - the tire issue. you need a quiver of tires and inserts for every track and temperature range. 4 tires, inserts and rims X every temperature compound and insert combination can get very expensive. for exampel at the tamiya nationals the tires are only good for one run. burn of 75 bucks on toy car tires that only last 5 minutes! I have better things to do with my money! further, other than tamiya the cars dont look like real cars. they look like dayglow jellly beans.

2. The expense to convert to brushless and lipo systems and a new charger. There really is no such a thing as a "stock" brushless motor. they are all much faster than stock brushed.

3. Attitude of rc racers. I also ride mt. bikes, these guys are a tougher, healthier and freindler bunch of guys.

4. the long drive to a decent track. 100 mile to Camarillo, 50 miles to Tamiya, and Tamiys is gone.

5. I started enjoying riding bikes much more than sitting on my but all day just to be able to race 2 maybe 3 times for 5 minutes. not to mention beimg exposed to second hand cigarette smoke and toxic tire compounds.
nagatahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:51 AM   #214
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagatahawk View Post
I got out of t/c racing then rc racing in general last September. Last race I took 3rd in a spec class.

There are several reasons for me leaving RC:
1. touring cars - the tire issue. you need a quiver of tires and inserts for every track and temperature range. 4 tires, inserts and rims X every temperature compound and insert combination can get very expensive. for exampel at the tamiya nationals the tires are only good for one run. burn of 75 bucks on toy car tires that only last 5 minutes! I have better things to do with my money! further, other than tamiya the cars dont look like real cars. they look like dayglow jellly beans.

2. The expense to convert to brushless and lipo systems and a new charger. There really is no such a thing as a "stock" brushless motor. they are all much faster than stock brushed.

3. Attitude of rc racers. I also ride mt. bikes, these guys are a tougher, healthier and freindler bunch of guys.

4. the long drive to a decent track. 100 mile to Camarillo, 50 miles to Tamiya, and Tamiys is gone.

5. I started enjoying riding bikes much more than sitting on my but all day just to be able to race 2 maybe 3 times for 5 minutes. not to mention beimg exposed to second hand cigarette smoke and toxic tire compounds.
Just curious, if you got out of the hobby why do you still get on here? Or do you still bash?
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:35 PM   #215
Tech Elite
 
quietstorm76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,265
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Ok I've been in the hobby for 19 years. This is what pisses me off about the hobby.

How can a company sell a 12th scale for $300? There's hardly any material there, no electronics,no body or tires yet a Tmaxx cost just $100 more for everything. WTF
__________________
Team Shepherd USA:Nugget's Ranch Raceway
Primary Weapon: ?
Secondary Weapon: ?
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:43 PM   #216
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St Louis
Posts: 7,868
Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstorm76 View Post
Ok I've been in the hobby for 19 years. This is what pisses me off about the hobby.

How can a company sell a 12th scale for $300? There's hardly any material there, no electronics,no body or tires yet a Tmaxx cost just $100 more for everything. WTF
Good point. I am sure there is a production number difference between 12 scale and say a Tmax. So cost of production is less in mass quantities.

I see there are a bunch of hands in the profits in this hobby. From manufacture, to distributor to vendor then to the consumer.

I also know of an effect where prices are increased to the point where people stop buying or complain and the Price is then held. Rather than a set percentage of profit margin.
__________________
Please become an organ donor.
www.donatelife.net
Custom decals and Sno-Tee'z, T-Shirts by Sno Camel
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #217
Tech Champion
 
tc3team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 6,151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
Good point. I am sure there is a production number difference between 12 scale and say a Tmax. So cost of production is less in mass quantities.

I see there are a bunch of hands in the profits in this hobby. From manufacture, to distributor to vendor then to the consumer.

I also know of an effect where prices are increased to the point where people stop buying or complain and the Price is then held. Rather than a set percentage of profit margin.
Not forgetting team matched cells, everyone wants their cut. This is an expensive hobby. New blood should be encouraged to get loose cells and save some $.

For club racing, thats all thats needed imho... There is too much advertising and perception you need the best to do well at racing and that sponsored racers kill the hobby... It shouldnt be like that. A lot of new blood is scared away when they hear the cost of the best this and that.

There is a fine balance between introducing new blood into the hobby and seeing them spend too much- this alone I feel is one reason why sedan racing is lacking support in some areas. Its too expensive to compete in.

Sure, tell me im a hypocrite because i'm sponsored. But the fact is, I don't go OTT and insist on getting the latest this and that, I club race. I race to my ability and budget. Further more, I've raced for 13+ years.

Up until now I have been racing with a very much club level car and unmatched cells, the last new motor I got was last year . I have always done my best to be an approchable face at the track too, no matter how my day has gone. I look around at this hobby and see many different people who race.

One guy I keep in touch with over the net who races and asks for my knowledge is deaf, sometimes its just the simple things in life... not blowing your last $ on "toy" car tyres for a hobby

ANY hobby should be something you enjoy doing too. As soon as it becomes a chore thats when its time to take a step back, or quit.

It was the friendly attitude of a club and a basic car that got me racing rc cars when I was 15. The simpler something is, the easier it can be enjoyed.
__________________
Fusion Hobbies / www.horshamrc.org

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:25 PM   #218
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 151
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Damn Hoolahoops! There oughta' be a law!
__________________
Frank Connolly
Thugs Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:57 PM   #219
Tech Elite
 
squarehead's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wheaton, Illinois
Posts: 4,211
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
two years on and not much has changed...
I'd argue that. The overwhelming point in the previous 6-odd pages of this thread are demanding a speed limited, rule restricted, competitive and fun class that isn't dominated by the new-car-of-the week.

The U.S. Vintage Trans Am class seems to be not only keeping current racers racing, but bringing in brand new racers and pulling old racers out of mothballs.



Seems to be working from my point of view.
__________________
Everything depends.
Nothing is always.
Everything is sometimes.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:32 PM   #220
Tech Champion
 
snoopyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tunnel Hill GA
Posts: 5,046
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post
The U.S. Vintage Trans Am class seems to be not only keeping current racers racing, but bringing in brand new racers and pulling old racers out of mothballs.
I know it did for me. I was considering quitting, or going M chassis.

I started racing onroad and just wanting to run TC and was quickly dissapointed. I guess mostly because if your car looked like a car then it wasnt competitive. VTA changed all of that. The 60's racing theme adds a lot of fun for people. I used my old TC to build a VTA car. After just a few races I was ready to knock the Mohawk off the Serpent and dress it in VTA attire.

I dont think we need more classes to run in because that just dilutes the pool of racers. But if there were to be more classes, a theme and limits should be imposed much like the way the USVTA has developed their class.
__________________
www.battlefieldraceway.com Racing videos at http://www.youtube.com/snoopyrc
snoopyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:29 PM   #221
Tech Master
 
The Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,451
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

My track has suffered just like everyone elses. Our numbers are down and we scramble to keep things going.

In the New England area, all the racers are very friendly and we all help each other. the 4 major carpet tracks (maximus, excitement, madness and 360) keep themselves floating with oval, speed spec / mini cooper, 1/12th and tc.

Personally, I LOVE running tc and 1/12th. It makes me angry when people slam a class because they can't be 'top dog'. This is my one and only complaint because it took me countless hours to get as good as I am now and people walk in the door, buy tons of gear and then quit when they can't be #1 after a month.

It guess that is why spec/cooper classes have gained in popularity because there is less to know in order to be a competitor.



LONG LIVE FOAM TC!
__________________
Sponsors for 2013 - NoVak / Team Scream / liquidrc.com
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:52 PM   #222
wyd
Tech Legend
 
wyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Castle Mamba Max Pro. Feel its power!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 21,142
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd
Default

Since everything is so expensive in general is leaves people with alot less disposable cash for toys. First thing that goes is play toys so R/C and what ever hobby people are into are cut back or they just stop doing them.

Really sucks that it is getting to be all work and no money for play for alot of people. Really is too bad.
__________________
Castle Creations (Since 2005) Just awesome products
Bumps & Jumps RC (Great Indoor facility for offroad and oval)
ST Racing Concepts (STRC)
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:19 PM   #223
Tech Elite
 
rezenclowd3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Solvang, CA
Posts: 2,367
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
Really sucks that it is getting to be all work and no money for play for alot of people. Really is too bad.
At least many of us have been lucky enough to have some disposable income. Many of the worlds inhabitants are not so lucky.
__________________
OOMSGFX.COM (no longer painting, but take a look for fun!), Roadrunners RC Club
"Racing drivers have balls, unfortunately, none of them are crystal" (David Coulthard)
"I believe the average IQ of a NASCAR fan is only marginally above the things that hit the windscreen during the race. "
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:39 AM   #224
Tech Champion
 
tc3team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 6,151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post
I'd argue that. The overwhelming point in the previous 6-odd pages of this thread are demanding a speed limited, rule restricted, competitive and fun class that isn't dominated by the new-car-of-the week.

The U.S. Vintage Trans Am class seems to be not only keeping current racers racing, but bringing in brand new racers and pulling old racers out of mothballs.



Seems to be working from my point of view.
I guess my comment was a bit too loosely based, not much has changed in sedan, its still the money eating class it always was. VTA sounds like a great sub class though.
__________________
Fusion Hobbies / www.horshamrc.org

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:18 AM   #225
Tech Master
 
DJ919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,020
Default

"I don't think that RC is in any kind of decline, the RC Racing car market just has more competition then before. I do know one thing, some classes are out of control and if that is not fixed for the most part rc car racing will go the same way as slot cars did in the 70's. It got to be just too much for most people."

Quoated this from one of the posters above.
I VERY much agree. RC itself it not on the decline. Its a fun hobby/culture that will last for a long time to come. I just started my steps back into RC Racing. I can say that after a five years lay off from organized racing, with all the technology RC has today, its like starting all over again! So much to learn and so many ways to be fast! I'm cool with that because I love learning and I love challenges. Its good to see that racing enthusiasts are recognizing some of the elements that have caused the decline in RC racing itself. Be it out of control classes, CRAZY high priced racing kits. C'mon,,, 5,6,7, 800 bucks for quality 8th scale roller?...I'm a grown a** man with a well paying job, so I can handle these deals, I want to race competively in the popular 8class, so this is expected. None the less, its just crazy... Thank goodness for those who are recognizing and bringing back door to door spec styled racing. Though not designed by intention when it comes to organized racing, the Slash may be the biggest help in bringing RC racing back to its once popular form. Platforms like this set ways of affordable, fair racing were it comes down to a Driver's skills over his wallet. Vintage TA and other forms of spec racing will do it for on-road. This will no doubt bring new interests and help boost the racing scene.
DJ919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leaving R/C Hobby screamer25cc R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 01-25-2006 03:41 PM
LEAVING HOBBY, Everything is for sale!! ghöst R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 09-07-2005 07:44 AM
Leaving hobby sale ghöst R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 18 08-31-2005 12:53 PM
Leaving Hobby....Everything Must Go !!!!! nsgland R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 12 05-03-2005 08:46 AM
For Sale.......Leaving the Hobby Schuie Driver R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 7 10-27-2002 04:37 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:53 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net