Anyone tried the SHV IB 4200 cells?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone tried the SHV IB 4200 cells?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 06:08 AM
Tech Regular

Default Anyone tried the SHV IB 4200 cells?

anyone seen the new IB Super High Voltage SHV 4200 cells?

are they any different to the IB 4200's? or just clever marketing?
Old 06-07-2006, 06:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't have any "official" answer, but my guess would be that the SHV are the newest batch of 4200 cells that have even higher voltage compared to the previous ones.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Yes they are different. I have a pack of SMC 1.233 and IR of 1.5, 432 sec. You will roast motors. You will neet to de-tune the motor if you want it to not fade. CO27's run better with them than a monster based.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

We find we are not gearing as high in Stock and 19T with IB3800 and 4200's and we are running a little less timing in Mods.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:37 PM
Tech Regular

I want to buy IB4200SHV loose cell at rc-mushroom, is it good? i don`t have enough money to buy match pack.

Last edited by nino_pohan; 06-15-2006 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:47 PM
Tech Regular

Default battery care

what is the proper way to treat these new cells after each use?
discharge on a dynapulse/spintec? or discharge tray??
Old 08-08-2006, 09:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What I am doing is discharging as quickly as possible (20a on Supernova) till about 1v per cell then equalising them on a Smart tray to 0.9v per cell.

I prefer to keep IB's above the 0.9v per cell because of IB's past where they did NOT like to be taken down past that point
Old 08-08-2006, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have 6 packs in my cases now but have not gotten a chance to run them yet. I just got them last Friday and assembled them over the weekend. I will cycle them tomorrow to see how they are and get them ready for this weekend. If they are anything like my 38's were I will be extremely happy with them. Mine are from my matcher in my Sig. I have been very happy with every pack I ever bought from RacedayRC.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:06 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dodgeguy
Yes they are different. I have a pack of SMC 1.233 and IR of 1.5, 432 sec. You will roast motors. You will neet to de-tune the motor if you want it to not fade. CO27's run better with them than a monster based.
I wonder how they will be with the new X-Stock Motor

On a second note... about charging and such

Charging-Set the Charger at 5-10mV per pack if your racing outdoors and its warm! I noticed when chargin gmy Hurricane 1.212 3800's that when the charger was set at 10mV per pack. It got alittle to warm, so i set it to 5mV per pack and the temp is perfect. You might be able to set it to 10-15mV when racing indoor carpet or w/e. I was told by numerous people that cooling your pack while charging is a No-No. So until this day, I just chagrge the pack. You want teh pack around 125 degrees when it stops chargin. Its also nice to still have it warm when your ready to race to get the top voltage.

Discharging.... Discharge 20-30 amps after your race and tray it to .9, then let cool totaly if your going to use it again for the Main. (Being said that you race 2 heats and a Main)

If your not going to use the pack again, i would recommend leaving what ever capacity left in teh pack after that race until next week comes around. When next week comes. Discharge it at 20-30 amps, then stick it on the tray and tray it to .9 (I use the smart tray) Then let it totaly kool, put a fan on it to increase the process if your in a hurry. THen Charge at 6 amps with the charger 5-15mV per pack with the outside temp permitting settings.

Storage. I just leave what ever capacity left in teh pack after teh race from the week before.

If your not going to use ur pack for a month or more. I would charge it at 5 amps fully. When you come back from retirement, throw that pack in and run it in practice!

This is how i do all my IB/GP packs. My IB3800's are taking 4400mah!
Old 08-09-2006, 12:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BSchorr
I wonder how they will be with the new X-Stock Motor

On a second note... about charging and such

Charging-Set the Charger at 5-10mV per pack if your racing outdoors and its warm! I noticed when chargin gmy Hurricane 1.212 3800's that when the charger was set at 10mV per pack. It got alittle to warm, so i set it to 5mV per pack and the temp is perfect. You might be able to set it to 10-15mV when racing indoor carpet or w/e. I was told by numerous people that cooling your pack while charging is a No-No. So until this day, I just chagrge the pack. You want teh pack around 125 degrees when it stops chargin. Its also nice to still have it warm when your ready to race to get the top voltage.

Discharging.... Discharge 20-30 amps after your race and tray it to .9, then let cool totaly if your going to use it again for the Main. (Being said that you race 2 heats and a Main)

If your not going to use the pack again, i would recommend leaving what ever capacity left in teh pack after that race until next week comes around. When next week comes. Discharge it at 20-30 amps, then stick it on the tray and tray it to .9 (I use the smart tray) Then let it totaly kool, put a fan on it to increase the process if your in a hurry. THen Charge at 6 amps with the charger 5-15mV per pack with the outside temp permitting settings.

Storage. I just leave what ever capacity left in teh pack after teh race from the week before.

If your not going to use ur pack for a month or more. I would charge it at 5 amps fully. When you come back from retirement, throw that pack in and run it in practice!

Sounds like a good regime.... I really like the leave as much in the pack as possible after the run if you're not going to run it anymore...
Old 08-09-2006, 01:17 AM
Tech Regular

Apparently IB have changed the chemical formula for the SHVs in an attempt to get the cells to hold up longer than the original IB 38/42. However this does come at a slight cost, they take about 5/6 cycles to get going to their full potential. Apparently.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Cooling the cells like having a fan blow on them is really bad. It ends up increasing the IR and reducing the voltage. However, air circulation is ok. Like putting the packs under Much More fan stands with the fans pulling the air above the batteries up and away (not blowing down). This small bit of air moving keeps the batteries slightly cooler on a really hot day with no ill effects.

All IB cells like to be re-run. I ran 1/12th last weekend and for practice I just left the same battery taped in the car for 5 runs. After a run I would dump it at 10A let it cool and recharge it. It just got stronger and stronger.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:16 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BSchorr

After I run I would take the pack down to 5.4 and leave it for weekly racing...If its going to sit for more than a week without being used then put 500 seconds of charge in it.

How many maH you put into a cell is really not a good indication of the runtime of a cell. Usually cells that are lower in runtime or are trayed before charging will take more maH to charge....However if you cycle those on a GFX you will see that the runtime and discharge maH will be a lot lower... Discharge maH is the only thing that matters.

EA
Old 08-09-2006, 07:20 AM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by Ali Graham
Apparently IB have changed the chemical formula for the SHVs in an attempt to get the cells to hold up longer than the original IB 38/42. However this does come at a slight cost, they take about 5/6 cycles to get going to their full potential. Apparently.
You are correct.... When you buy 4200's off the shelf now they should keep getting better and better for 3-5 runs and then level off. They are a lot harder to match now as well as we are putting a lot more cycles on them than before to get the numbers to stabilize.

EA
Old 08-09-2006, 07:21 AM
Team EAM

One other thing is the SHV4200 will peak about 30 degrees HOTTER than a IB3800. Not sure why but most my 38's would peak around 130 degrees at .02. My 42's peak at 160 degrees with .02!!

EA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.