R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-06-2006, 09:44 AM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raptor
I've recently purchased a used R/C car, and really enjoy it. But its a Yinrun, and therefore isn't modifiable (or even repairable). I did paint and install a new body (an HPI Ford GT). Now I'm seriously considering getting a real kit.

Requirements:

1/10
Electric
On-road
I do not intend to race it (at least right now), but will take it to the local track.
I want to be able to upgrade it, and tweak it.
Moderately priced, not expensive.

Any suggestions on companies and chassis (I intend to use custom painted bodies from the start)?

Thanx,
Troy
I would recommend the following:

Tamiya TA05 - Hands down, the best car for the money and fully upgradable

Spektrum DSX2 Radio & Receiver - I would go straight to Spektrum, the convienence is teriffic and this set even comes with a metal gear servo.

There is a great selection of inexpensive ESC's to choose from, if your not racing, get one with reverse. Some Tamiya kits come with their standard esc which is good to start with.

As far as chargers and batteries, get the best charger you can afford in you budget, preferabley one that can also discharge (10A min), batteries get the best deal you can find, these, stick pack can be more reasonable - do not waste your money on mathched packs until you get serious about racing, and even then only when you move up into more competitive classes.

Good Luck
Tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:11 AM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to dogenia Send a message via Yahoo to dogenia
Default Beginner car

Uhm guys with all due respect but why spend the money on a Tamiya when in a matter of months you'll be looking around for another car again and you allready spent a bundle getting there in the first place.

I'd recommend getting a used Xray FK04 or FK05 and going from there.
I know parts are not as easy to get everywhere but I definitely think you'll get more bang for the buck and the car will grow with you untill y'r at a level where you may have to start looking for something more competitive?

Don
Old 06-06-2006, 10:30 AM   #18
Tech Initiate

I'm back. HobbyTown here does not stock Tamiya parts at all (although they can order them). So while looking at TC4's (the next most popular selection here), I realized I really wanted off-road. I will use it mostly while camping or on the street by my house. So I bought a RC10T4 RTR because the box said it was based on the TC4, and HobbyTown stocks about every part for it (so they say).

I also got a pair of Peak Racing PowerMAX 2400 mAh batteries and a Duratrax Piranah Peak Power charger.

Thank you everyone for your opinions and guidance.
Troy
The_Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:35 AM   #19
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raptor
I'm back. HobbyTown here does not stock Tamiya parts at all (although they can order them). So while looking at TC4's (the next most popular selection here), I realized I really wanted off-road. I will use it mostly while camping or on the street by my house. So I bought a RC10T4 RTR because the box said it was based on the TC4, and HobbyTown stocks about every part for it (so they say).

I also got a pair of Peak Racing PowerMAX 2400 mAh batteries and a Duratrax Piranah Peak Power charger.

Thank you everyone for your opinions and guidance.
Troy

Right On !
Great choice. !!!
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote