Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Modified Motor brushes

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2001, 06:41 AM
Tech Regular

Default Modified Motor brushes

What are the best modified motor brushes available?

I'm currently running a Team Orion Chrome Modified 9x3 and I will need to change brushes soon.
Old 10-26-2001, 11:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I use the Reedy Quasar brushes, they seem to have the best dyno readings and works great in mod motors especially down to the 6 turn area without discoloration.
Old 10-26-2001, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I agree, I've had great luck with the Quasars, plenty of power and they're not too harsh on the comm.

Trips
Old 10-26-2001, 08:58 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

I will have to bear that in mind next time I'm in the States. Unfortunately, Reedy brushes are not too common in Hong Kong.

The 'choice' brush for power and comm life is the GM 03 brushes. I can easily get 20 runs on a 11 turn and then the comm will clean up on the first pass on the lathe. There are brushes which give more power but they are quite harsh on the comm!
Old 10-27-2001, 08:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

DTM- All of the old sponsored driver's out here use to run the GM 5% brush and got GREAT wear out of them with good power. Since GM brushes are still around where you are located I would try those. People out here in Sacramento would kill for some of those GM brushes....
Old 10-27-2001, 08:51 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

haha... next time I'm in the States I'll bring along some GM brushes to trade for some Reedy brushes!!! There are plenty of GM brushes in Hong Kong. If you really want to get hold of some you should be about to get some from 'Control Centre', check out their forum!

PS. I don't have any connections with them!
Old 10-27-2001, 03:19 PM
Tech Master

Got to be honest and say that i haven't been all that impressed when I have tried Quasars. They don't seem to like big amounts of timing. I have run them in touring (12 turn limit) and off road and ahve to say that i think they do damage the comm and don't produce as much power as some. Orion's new 41015 isn't any kinder to comms, but does seem to have more power. Generally i run Corally brushes. Seem to have a good balence of power vs Wear.
Old 10-27-2001, 06:52 PM
Tech Champion

I second for the GM brushes, they are long living and comm friendly. I wont run anyother brushes unless I cannot get the GM brushes again !!

The asso brushes are great in terms of speed but it kills comm.
Old 10-28-2001, 12:27 AM
Regional Moderator

What kind of GM Brushes do you guys running?? Racing (03), Racing Team (02) or Champion (05). I prefer use Racing brushes for practice (20-30 packs), Racing Team if you don't want to change brush for all the 3 finals (6-10, no more than 3 packs if using lower than 9T), and Champion brushes for bigger event (1-3 packs). This GM brushes work well on any motor..... only needs to re-adjust the timing.
Old 10-28-2001, 12:35 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by daniz24
What kind of GM Brushes do you guys running?? Racing (03), Racing Team (02) or Champion (05). I prefer use Racing brushes for practice (20-30 packs), Racing Team if you don't want to change brush for all the 3 finals (6-10, no more than 3 packs if using lower than 9T), and Champion brushes for bigger event (1-3 packs). This GM brushes work well on any motor..... only needs to re-adjust the timing.
either 03 or 05
Old 10-28-2001, 03:23 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by MattW
Got to be honest and say that i haven't been all that impressed when I have tried Quasars. They don't seem to like big amounts of timing. I have run them in touring (12 turn limit) and off road and ahve to say that i think they do damage the comm and don't produce as much power as some. Orion's new 41015 isn't any kinder to comms, but does seem to have more power. Generally i run Corally brushes. Seem to have a good balence of power vs Wear.
MattW: Which Corally brushes do you run? Do you know what type come with the Pro Series motors? These appear to be ok, a little heavier on the comm than the GM03 but still acceptable.
Old 10-28-2001, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

I have been running the Universal. This is the brush that corally put in the motors when they are new. I am fairly sure that the brush that they give you as spares is the "Silver".
Old 10-28-2001, 09:40 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

Thanks MattW!