R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-09-2006, 09:04 AM   #61
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howard
h a t e r
Yea that's me ;-) ...seriously though, would you go to the expense and effort for an out of town week long race (flights, hotel, food, missed work) not knowing who all is even going to be racing at the event? I haven't seen or heard of any one that is attending this race except for Josh Cyrul and Mike Blackstock, and that only from the event website. When I decide which large events I'm going to spend my cash and time in attending, my major deciding factor is how much fun will I have with all the various people attending ...I dunno maybe I'm just weird that way.
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:33 AM   #62
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshGuy
Yea that's me ;-) ...seriously though, would you go to the expense and effort for an out of town week long race (flights, hotel, food, missed work) not knowing who all is even going to be racing at the event? I haven't seen or heard of any one that is attending this race except for Josh Cyrul and Mike Blackstock, and that only from the event website. When I decide which large events I'm going to spend my cash and time in attending, my major deciding factor is how much fun will I have with all the various people attending ...I dunno maybe I'm just weird that way.
w e i r d o
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:17 AM   #63
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howard
w e i r d o
Calling me a wierdo ...nice avatar there homeboy!!
Old 09-09-2006, 07:43 PM   #64
Tech Initiate

Default WSD Final Registration

Harsh Guy you were never coming.

FAST RC Worlds spokesman Peter Kujawa issued the final registration date for the Inaugural $25,000 World Series for Drivers. No entries will be accepted after the 15th of September. This is the final day for all drivers to register and get their payments in. Mr. Kujawa also wants to remind the drivers that the hotels final day for accepting discounted room reservations is also September 15th. If you plan to compete in the richest race in RC history we urge you to register now. Depending on this final response FAST RCs may set up a driverís waiting list.
TECH CONTROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:25 PM   #65
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TECH CONTROL
Harsh Guy you were never coming.

FAST RC Worlds spokesman Peter Kujawa issued the final registration date for the Inaugural $25,000 World Series for Drivers. No entries will be accepted after the 15th of September. This is the final day for all drivers to register and get their payments in. Mr. Kujawa also wants to remind the drivers that the hotels final day for accepting discounted room reservations is also September 15th. If you plan to compete in the richest race in RC history we urge you to register now. Depending on this final response FAST RCs may set up a driverís waiting list.
I don't know you tech control guy, but you shouldn't speak for other people. Harsh was definitely interested in attending the race. We just prefer to know who's attending.
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:19 PM   #66
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TECH CONTROL
Depending on this final response FAST RCs may set up a driverís waiting list.
Highly unlikely with as welcoming as you have been with potential participants.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:30 AM   #67
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia
I don't know you tech control guy, but you shouldn't speak for other people. Harsh was definitely interested in attending the race. We just prefer to know who's attending.
Yep, actually we had been seriously talking about it, but like I said I have not heard or seen of anyone either by postings on this thread or other threads that are attending the race. I can't really see making the financial and time commitment to travel to a race across country for the possibility of racing at a multiple day club race, even considering the Horizon Hobby gift certificates it would still be a financial outlay. Your race sounds like an interesting concept, but I just don't have all the information needed to make the commitment to attend a large race as there has been with other large races (IIC, Reedy, Nationals, Snowbirds, Indoor Champs, etc, etc, etc).
Old 09-10-2006, 02:54 PM   #68
Tech Initiate

Default You maybe right?

I will concede that there appears to be a very large number of already established Carpet races and the fun of those races fits in with what you guys really want. I apologize but we are truly interested in presenting this to NON RACERS with the Knowledge that this is how you grow the sport. I am sure you will be attending a big race soon...I will be at one also maybe we will meet. I am going to count the non racers there. I will be surveying the number of potential new RTR customers that put their "HEADS ON THE RACE." That is how we will grow this sport NEW blood. We believe that fresh faces will fall in love with the SPORT like you did but we must expose them and TV is not coming till Non-Factory Sponsors get hooked up with this SPORT. Their motto is who sees it and how many? Do they get excited? Is it a growing Sport or stuck? If you were us and lets say Addis has a VP of Marketing that wants to attend a race and see the crowds reaction so his company can sponsor a 6 figure race in a year or so where would you send him to see that race?

Sorry but we are a business that invests into winning ventures and will do it like a business. We never will post names until we get checks or commitments. A hundred plus filled out registrations means nothing without cash behind them. That's the way you do BUSINESS in our circles. I went through all the registrations submitted and never saw yours'. You could have done that to show interest without paying hence the comment about you never coming. I am sorry for that statement. Please forgive me that transgression.

Everyone told us that the carpet indoor was the first group to go after. We believed - so we did. We run our business like a business. Our mission is to grown the SPORT. That is the fundamental reason for our events. If the event can't grow the SPORT don't do it! Don't embarrass the drivers or sponsors. Make it a class event where all partnerships are respected. The Spectators, The Drivers and the New Sponsors as well as the industry supporters.

If you have any positive suggestions on how to put the Sport you love before thousands or so new families please give us your advice. We never turn down good advice. Also pass it on to the other people running races as that will make RC's grow faster. Thanks for the input to date and I look forward to your future entries.

Have a great day
Old 09-10-2006, 06:24 PM   #69
Tech Apprentice

I too am very interested in growing the sport. Those of you who know me (Aaron Skillman - Indianapolis, IN) know that I put a lot of thought into that very subject.

But here's the fundamental flaw:

You believe external (non-hobby) sponsors are needed to help grow the sport. I agree with that. But sponsorship isn't philanthapy. These companies will want exposure for their organization in return for their dollars, as would any sane marketing man. But when they arrive at the event to check on their investment, you don't want to show them a few goofs goofing around on a track. You want them to see crowds of people cheering on ultra fast r/c racers, and many of them.

Thats why I believe you need you need to seperate your focus into two factors: 1) Hitting the streets to promote your event to the general public, and 2) providing an event that is fun and entertaining, but also traditional, for the purposes of getting current racers to attend. I really don't see anything wrong with the standards and practices of current r/c events, in the sense that the public would enjoy whats going on.

To sum up: I think your efforts to bring r/c to the common citizen are not too bad, but what exactly are you going to show them when they get there?
Sampson Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 06:26 PM   #70
Tech Apprentice

Thats "Philanthropy", of course.
Sampson Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 06:37 PM   #71
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Ok Racers heres the start.. If your running post your Name and class here . This might give us a better idea of whom is coming that we all know from the other National level races we attend.. I'm still up in the air for this event and plan to decide this wed. I also would like to see whom is planning on attending this event from this RC Tech fourm's..

Team Associated-Express Motorsports-Trinity-Reflex Racing-A Main Hobbies-ProtekRC
John Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:26 PM   #72
Tech Elite

I have talked to several factory drivers, and the word is "we don't want anyone to know we are going, or they will go and it will make it that much harder to win...".

Official software of: ROAR Nationals, IIC, Cactus Classic, Indoor Champs, Reedy Race and Trackside Hobbies in Brookfield, WI!
RC Scoring Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:28 PM   #73
Tech Adept

This race sounds interesting!
Mike Dumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:12 PM   #74
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tag
Ok Racers heres the start.. If your running post your Name and class here . This might give us a better idea of whom is coming that we all know from the other National level races we attend.. I'm still up in the air for this event and plan to decide this wed. I also would like to see whom is planning on attending this event from this RC Tech fourm's..
Great idea!!!
Old 09-10-2006, 10:24 PM   #75
Tech Initiate

Default Great Posts Thank you

Mr. Simpson I thank you for the reply and valued opinions. My only concern is who will fund "taking it to the street". I very much like the idea and if we took 500K and traveled the country for 12 months, got the top racers to put on exhibitions and all the manufacturers sent reps to show the public how it all works then it just might succeed. Derek at Xtreme already suggested this and I hope it happens. He just has to get all the factory players at the top of the food chain to do it together for the GOOD of RC's.

Our plan is to put it at a site where over 15 million FAMILIES come in yearly and put it at locations where they are assembled and can view it. Point in case, on Friday night of the WSD we have a RC Drivers Appreciation Night set up at a location where 3 to 4 thousand people (mostly family units) will view a small race in Nitro and Electric by the Super Stars of the RC Racing who are competing in the WSD. Now these families are from all over the world not just Florida or Vegas or California or Cleveland. So in fact the street comes to us. Now picture a series of 5 races, all divisions, ending up with a 5 day 100k final at a location that has 5 thousand different world wide families passing thru daily. Now that is TAKING IT TO THE STREET!

Finally as to SANE advertisers...well a few associates of mine on Madison Ave once told me...we missed out on skateboarding when it was insane to get behind it. Then we missed out on snowboarding because it was insane. If you see another insane sport out there please bring it to us. How did Mountain Dew see the sanity while others saw only risk? A quarter of million invested by small businesses' on a chance is a big risk but believe me to others it is a drop in the bucket to be in at the beginning of the next big breakthough SPORT. But the industry has to show potential and the public has to be interested. PUT the event where the people are! Don't go running around looking for them when they will walk right up to watch you race. KISS My researched opinion. Thank you