R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-22-2006, 07:05 PM   #331
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by edseb
Oh and in a previous thread, you mentioned that it will come with one-way and dual ball diffs, but you never said anything about spool... or did I miss it? Anyway, if it works great on asphalt, chances are 90% of the time drivers will prefer a spool. Will a spool by available or is it converted from diff or one-way like Xray, etc.?

yes I did state that it would have a 2 diff's a oneway and a spool and a center oneway. It might have been here or in pm

Selling HPI F10 Front Knuckles and Complete Rear Axles W/Diffs Ball and Gear.
W/12mm TC Hubs & W/14mm F1 Hubs Good for std bearing Pans cars. STD Bearings!
eBay item number: 200947192161,200947193175,200947187493
Marty Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:14 PM   #332
Tech Master

Quote:
Oh and more questions (I've been following this thread and figured it was time to jump in):
Will the front and rear CVDs use blades? If so metal ones? In the RDX, the use of a spool puts a lot of strain on the outdrives and so they developed removable steel pins to be able to insert steel blades. The XRay uses plastic, but they wear out every few runs when running a mod motor.
What caster blocks will be available?
What about a fan mount for the motor? Almost all drivers use a fan in hot areas.
Chassis weights? Corally and XRay have them incorporated in to the design of the car, and in some cases have them recessed in to the chassis to lower CG. Can't go to any big races these days without having to add weight to be legal.
Thanks in advance.
ok this is a Prototype! in testing we will find what we need I got to run the V1 of this car and I had raced it 6 times (busy making cars and such) and it could hold its owen with the RDX Xray FK05 Pro4 and MI2 I did win one out of 6 and now Jonn is testing the car now in a v1.5 of this design.
Nothing is final here you make good points as for the use blades and inserts we are thinking of doing the same as FabLab with there car and use the xray type.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:27 PM   #333
Tech Master

Quote:
more...
Will you be able to change the height of the diffs to adjust roll center?
How bout kick up and anti squat? I saw the hinge pin bracket, but will you have others available, and how do they affect these traits, in one degree increments? or do you use various shims? Are shims provided? If shims, is that the way to adjust toe in/out, and arm sweep? What about car width? Will it be only handled at the hinge pins with shims or different width wheel hexes? Also, what about adjusting toe-in in the rear with the hubs? I prefer to use adjustments at the hub or combination with hinge pins so that the hinge pin doesn't affect wheel base measurements or car width.

sorry, I wouldn't ask so much if I wasn't intrigued.
right now you can adjust it with shims and toe is adjustable just like most cars with the steering links as for arm sweep it is adjusted with the ball pivot
width we will look at and the same for the rear.

again all good points. THIS IS A PROTOTYPE!! Still and the design is not final.

and if I was to do everything that people wanted one would it all work?? I am not sure that is why we test, but I am sure that the price would be 569.00 and not 369.00 so we will look into most of this and test it and make the best car we can again we are not Tamiya HPI Corally XRAY so we have a small budget, (my pocket) and we will make the best car we can and what if it only had some of these things you ask about and if it were to go on to wim a few races would it be less of a car because of that?

Old 06-22-2006, 07:35 PM   #334
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF415boy
Don't know if anyone has pointed that out, but do you realize that on that front motor setup your car will go backwards ?
first that was a cut and past just to show people what we were thinking of.

Next I stated we were making a New motor/spur mount so it will have the same shap and mounting holes on the to and bottom so it would have just flipped from it currant location to the front and the servo would have been on the other side. ok

I explined it in a pm to a person and he couldn't grasp what I was telling him and I can not put a pic in a pm so I cut and pasted that setup!

But after alot of PM's for some well known people they have told me they have did it and it will not work out to good!

and after going over it with my drivers we are not going to do it!
and of that one!

Old 06-22-2006, 08:21 PM   #335
Tech Master

ok done with round 10 only 5 more to go.

look the car is a prototype and it is not final and MLP will give you as much as we can and a competitive car ok you tell me would you pay for a car that has it all and the price would be very high or would you pay the price of the car knowing what we made we won with and keep the price the same, Plus all of these points are good ones not that we never looked at them but do we (MLP) need to make a car like that and can we fund it and hope to sell it will it work? having alll of the best in one car would it work? or is there other people that feel there are other things that would be better we can do the what about this till the end of time.

If I can win with this car than you can win with this car. we will keep testing and changing things we feel the car need ok we will do our best to give you the best of what we feel you will need to win.

We do not have people driving our cars like Atsushi Hara Marc Rheinard Mike Blackstock and Jeff Brown or the rest , or a budget for people like that.

I think we need to step back and look at the big picture here.

there is not one car out there that gives you everything you would want what works for one will not work for everyone and what wins for one will not win for everyone

So I will say this agian and maybe it will get to everyone out there.

Can you see and Interact and watch a car go form prototype to production and have some what of a say so in it? NO! (I think I kmow why now)
J/K we welcome your thoughts.

SO lets all see what the testing tells us and see what is what as they say.

Thank you

Old 06-22-2006, 09:56 PM   #336
Tech Master

So just so you all understand what we are doing here (thinking it might have not been the way to go now) Was to give you an Idea on what we (MLP) were doing and more or less asking for your input on the build kinda like OCC of rc car making. you would get to see the car as we test it race it run it and change it.

The drive setup will stay the same! (new motor mount is in the works) I am told other companies have tried this and that and it didn't work.

You can try 1000 times to get it work but you only need to find that one way to make it work (kind of a reword on a move line ok I do not need 100 post and pms and emails on it) Most of you know a lot of people have pm'ed me emailed me with most of the same stuff as you see here we know what we are doing and looking for in a car.

Once again I will tell you that we will have a base and when you order our car it is bulit for you. just like our F201 and F206F1 we will put as much of what you want on it with in that price frame,

There will be no hopups we will give you all you need to Win with.

here one person said to me "I do not want the battery hold downs and the next said I want the battery hold downs but I want them like the Xray can you do that, I said yes to both we can do that".

The next person (a woman) wanted only 5 slots on one side and 3 on the other I told her we can do that as well she wanted thick top plate and posts like the XRAY I told here we could do that as well.

I even had a Question on making it with the XRAY diff's and suspension and yes I could do that but the price would go up. and I would rather not but if you want to pay for it we might.

One guy wanted TRF Shocks the next wanted Xray Shocks I even had a guy that wanted Hot bodies Shocks.

see here at MLP we will try to give you what you want in a car but the Base of the car the Design will remain the same.

the next was he wanted Tamiya suspension and TRF Shocks !The Car comes with HPI Designed suspension (arms) and Mounting (pivot blocks) that we make. Yes I can do that we can do anything I make the cars not HPI Tamiya Corally and so on.

we set out to make the best car we can, and over a 1000 emails and 500 pm's What should we do?

we are now moving far way from what we set out to do and moving into making Hybrids of other cars Well every car is a Hybrid of the last in this sport

So we make them one at a time! the way you want it for the most part we do not want to change the Base of the car. and we will not.

So you tell me should MLP keep it design and just add the parts you want to it and sell you a car that has other companies parts on it. like arms steering blocks diffs and so on.
So you get the car you want?
Would you pay the price for it?

To build the best car in the world that had everything you could think of on it and a few things you didn't think of would you pay the price for it.?

what if a car like this went out and won it all ~around the world and over and over would you pay the High! price of it?

Ok so the Kid on my block here (his father passed away in Iraq) and dose not have much money right now and he runs a old RS4 PRO II his father got him
we cut him new carbon fiber chassis plates his father had asked if I could do this for him and we did it.
will he be able to pay the price of it? I do not think so.

How do we know what a car like that would do. can you the person running in parking lots and warehouses and indoor avg carpet or asphalt tracks tell me what a car like that could do could you even buy one? or would we make a car that was so adjustable ajust us right off the track and could it all be the car that would take you to the worlds and win it?

or is there something more like racing that is why we do it even the best car in the world can not win it all every time so we all have a chance to win a race and if we have a chance then we will make the cars!

SO we will make cars ! Cars made by racers and for racers!

it will have what you need to win with!!!

Thank you for you time!

And to bring this to an end (sorry it was so long)

See we will build your car for you!!!!! with in reason and the price frame.

Last edited by Marty Peterson; 06-23-2006 at 06:00 AM.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:07 PM   #337
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Peterson
right now you can adjust it with shims and toe is adjustable just like most cars with the steering links as for arm sweep it is adjusted with the ball pivot
width we will look at and the same for the rear.

again all good points. THIS IS A PROTOTYPE!! Still and the design is not final.

and if I was to do everything that people wanted one would it all work?? I am not sure that is why we test, but I am sure that the price would be 569.00 and not 369.00 so we will look into most of this and test it and make the best car we can again we are not Tamiya HPI Corally XRAY so we have a small budget, (my pocket) and we will make the best car we can and what if it only had some of these things you ask about and if it were to go on to wim a few races would it be less of a car because of that?
Yeah, I know the car is a prototype, but this is a forum for discussion and that is all I'm doing; just bringing up food for thought. Also, the reason I mentioned the Assasin was that it had lots of features, but in practical purposes they were never used. I know you have some budget limitations, that is why I am pointing things like that out so that you can think about where the money could be spent. In my eyes, having the ability to move the motor around isn't as important. I'm sure in testing you'll quickly find the optimum place to place things like the motor and stick with it. I know you are still going through a lot of trial and error, but coming on this forum you might find some things that could save you lots of time and money, that's all. Just like the long arms for the Assasin and RDX, it ended up being kind of a waste since every one uses the short arms and Corally probably lost money on molds and effort. I think you are doing something I wish I had the balls to do, that's why I'm throwing in my two cents. You are right though, every design has its pros and cons and I don't think any one has it perfect, that's why there is such a selection of cars out there.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:13 PM   #338
Tech Elite

Oops, my typing didn't beat yours, so I saw yours after mine. Anyway, my thoughts are just suggestions and I know some won't get used. Anyway, I'm doing this because I like the effort put out by a small company like yours. Go for it.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:34 PM   #339
Tech Master

No Carl Hyndman I understand what you are doing and it all helps

I know I left a lot un said with the car Reason Testing will tell us what we need to do and for the arms short is better, from what I am told but I kept running my Full carbon fiber PRO 3 till this year and winning at times with it.

Kind of a die hard

see the avg-racer can deal with ajusting things but I have seen guys adjust them self right off the track and even saw a gut take an RDX and he put it under his truck tire and ran it over as he left the track crazy thing that went on that day I want to just make a car that can run up front and have a chance to win. and keep it easy to work on and adjust.

the car is down to the 2 motor setups I like it and we will keep it to change back and forth is easy.

Thanks for all your input!

Old 06-22-2006, 11:05 PM   #340
Tech Master

Quote:
Oops, my typing didn't beat yours, so I saw yours after mine. Anyway, my thoughts are just suggestions and I know some won't get used. Anyway, I'm doing this because I like the effort put out by a small company like yours. Go for it.

Thanks I am real good at tossing money into the wrong stuff but man I think I am doing better Now and any help is worth it.

Here let me ask you all this if a racer is racing and making the A mains but never gets to that top spot always 3rd and 4th and getting the new hot car every time on comes out and he still can not make it to that top spot. is it the driver? is it the car? is it the setup and so on Now you put him in your own design car and he moves on to 2nd and the next time on to win what changed here him the car what.

I for one would say it was all of it.

along with him thinking he could win! when I am in the pits I hear people all the time I might get 3 or so I might win I hope I make the A mian.
and so on the first rule of racing is not "you must frist be able to finish in order to win" It is Thinking and knowing you will win! this is a must, and in thinking like this will make you a better driver, and when you do not win ask your self why but never dought your self for if you do that you have just lost!

ask A.J. Allmendinger the next time you see him
Thank you.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:14 PM   #341
Tech Elite

I think you are right about the confidence thing, but many times it can be the car. I see it a lot and saw it most recently at the ROAR Nationals a couple of weeks ago. During practice and qualifying it was obvious that certain cars were better and there were lots of good drivers. I for one ain't the best, but I'm consistent enough to look at lap times and see a reflection in time that changes make. Even to everyone there, it was obvious Billy Easton's car was the best. Did he win, no, but at least his car wasn't to blaim. I for one, don't like it when my car isn't up to par, and will try to make changes until I feel it just comes down to driving and my car isn't holding me back. If my car is better than I can drive, so be it, and that's how I like it. Hara's car wasn't the best and he won. There were other guys that drove flawless, but there cars held them back, that's to me is the worst situation.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:27 PM   #342
Tech Elite

BTW, you are selling to a pretty educated market, and that is where your car should be. Most of the guys that will buy a car like yours will appreciate the ability to adjust more. Yeah, we can tune ourselves out, but the customer you are selling to should have some grip on set up already; you are not selling to the guy walking in to a hobby shop and throwing down their cash for a RTR. Whether you like it or not, you are competing against the high end cars and you need to offer something your competitors aren't. Yeah it's nice to have something to drive that other guys don't have, but it needs to work and show results. I think you have that potential, but you'll need to offer something unique to make your "boutique" car sellable. I don't want to scare you, but look at the new Alex Racing Stinger. It's a boutique car and the thing looks like it's ready to put the company under. You on the other hand have some potential and have better design than other small companies like Kawada, Ova, TOP, RCLab, Robotronics, etc. (well maybe some of these aren't that small). Also, until the RDX came out, Corally was pretty small in the states.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:33 PM   #343
Tech Master

Look I know who you are and if your car is not working right it is the setup!
I could go to 100 of the races you go to and never win but when I am there I know I can and could have a chance to win.

most of us run local not at mayjor events.

I would say I guess I was just getting to 2 things car set up and a persons thinking when I started to race R/C for the first few times I just wanted to run and not damaged my car or be in the way of someone else.

Then after my first time (Nitro 1/8 2WD) I found my way into the A Main and starting 10th after the first lap I was 3rd and after the first pit stop for fuel I was 2nd, it was a blast I would finish there and after that I did my share of winning but I never once thought I couldn't win.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:37 PM   #344
Tech Elite

Point taken. Where was I going with this?
Old 06-22-2006, 11:44 PM   #345
Tech Master

Quote:
BTW, you are selling to a pretty educated market, and that is where your car should be. Most of the guys that will buy a car like yours will appreciate the ability to adjust more. Yeah, we can tune ourselves out, but the customer you are selling to should have some grip on set up already; you are not selling to the guy walking in to a hobby shop and throwing down their cash for a RTR. Whether you like it or not, you are competing against the high end cars and you need to offer something your competitors aren't. Yeah it's nice to have something to drive that other guys don't have, but it needs to work and show results. I think you have that potential, but you'll need to offer something unique to make your "boutique" car sellable. I don't want to scare you, but look at the new Alex Racing Stinger. It's a boutique car and the thing looks like it's ready to put the company under. You on the other hand have some potential and have better design than other small companies like Kawada, Ova, TOP, RCLab, Robotronics, etc. (well maybe some of these aren't that small). Also, until the RDX came out, Corally was pretty small in the states.

Thank you

I was talking about making a car that has every adjustment one could think of and a few more we didn't think of would it be a better car? would it Win?
or would the high end price be woth it?
Maybe your right maybe we should do it all and see what comes of it.
But if we do not get it right the first time, It would be the end of MLP!

Something to think about. and can make every thing that was said here all of it, but would you pay for a car that had all of this and it worked?

would the price be worth it for you if you could fine tune a chassis within a hair of its setup? what would you pay for a car that could give you all of that?

I am not sayin' that we are going to come out with a car less then what is out there we will just do it the way we can, I would love to see MLP as world Champion one day and I know it will be!

I can tell you our car will have the same stuff as most other cars and after testing we will fill in the gaps. ok