R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-30-2006, 09:58 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Mid to high end controller, reciever for racing

What is a good mid to high end controller, reciever to go for racing?

I m thinking of the specktrum dx3 but confused with the conflicting view on it. Whats your view on a controller, reciever that i should go for?

Cheers
snowb0l
snowb0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:55 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A. Rhodes

Go with the Spektrum system - the price is resonable, controller has the features you are looking for, and already includes DSM If your not looking for top of the line, Spektrum is the way to go, IMO.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:48 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

FTNTC3
But I m hoping to get something that will last me a number of years so I dont have to buy a new controller again soon. Any other recommandations?

Oh what is the difference with the specktrum pro series when comparing to the normal dx3 system.

One last question. on futaba site i saw three different 3pks. one is just a 3pk, then the synthesized, then super synthesized. What are the differences? Thanks for your responses.
Snowb0l
Old 05-31-2006, 10:58 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A. Rhodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowb0l
FTNTC3
But I m hoping to get something that will last me a number of years so I dont have to buy a new controller again soon. Any other recommandations?

Oh what is the difference with the specktrum pro series when comparing to the normal dx3 system.

One last question. on futaba site i saw three different 3pks. one is just a 3pk, then the synthesized, then super synthesized. What are the differences? Thanks for your responses.
Snowb0l
Radio's are always a tough thing to buy. You buy the cheaper model, onyl to upgrade later, and possibly sell the other controller.

The Spektrum system is nice, and is based of a JR model (not sure which one), and has the features you would look for in a mid level radio. It will last as long as you need it to, or until you are ready to upgrade to a pro controller.

The new Pro series that is due out, just lowers the response time.

If you want to go all out and get a high end radio, all the major companies offer excellent choices: Futaba, KO, JR, etc. I would only suggest that if you do buy a high end radio, and you can afford it, get the spektrum for it right away.

As for the Futaba, the 3PK is a awesome controller, and used by some of the top drivers in the world. I would go for the stock 3PK and install a spektrum, but if money is a issue, go with the synthesized model, no crystals to mess with.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:15 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to D Hunt 3

I've seen articles in magizines where you can buy a 3pk not sythesized but with a reciver for 290$. That's a good deal. THen when you get the money you can upgrade with the HRS spektrum.

Good Luck!!!
D Hunt 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:41 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to josh69162

I have the KO Mars, and have had nothing but good luck with it. But truth be told, you are probably better off buying one of the highest end controllers. They generally have the best functionality, easiest use, best performance, and highest resale value. You will really find yourself limited by the DX3's features, which is limited to end point adjustment, and D/R (as far as I know). And besides, you know that after a while, you will want to upgrade. But that's just my opinion, and I know that someone will think of an undeniable reason to opt for the cheaper radio. Whatev...
-Josh
josh69162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:19 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

You guys are saying something like this right?
http://rc-mushroom.com/product_info....ducts_id=10381
http://www.precisionrc.com/nv/car/pr...oduct_id=31803
Old 06-01-2006, 09:11 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Can someone shed some light into this please?
snowb0l
Old 06-01-2006, 10:07 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to pinggoy

i preffer the helios.or the z-1 by jr ...cause its the new version and does not conflict with anything..i mean we all know that spectrum got alittle problem since they are still at the stage of trial and errors. so as of now you can be better off with synth. modules and reciever...that radio is open for spectrum and regular module.. plus its the new one..... the 3pk has been on the rc scene for a while....
pinggoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:28 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'd agree with Josh...

I started off with a Futaba 2PL, then moved onto a JR XS-3.
My world moved on. The XS-3 was such a big jump up in terms for performance. Everything was quicker, more precise, more adjustments.

I recently picked up an secondhand M8 and a spectrum unit to suit.
WOW... the differnece when switching to a high end radio is still evident. I thought the XS-3 was about it in terms of precision and response. The M8 is even better.. I don't forsee an upgrade for a LONG time..

I think if you can afford, go for any of the high end units. They will serve you well.

I've never played with a Helios, but i have with 3PK's. I don't like the styling and the buttons felt flimsy. I expected higher from a Futaba radio. Perhaps a little unfair... But Futaba are the standard in my eyes so it should be rock solid.

I've also had a play with the M11 and it was a little top heavy but it felt more sturdy.

Little things make a difference. Go into a shop and have a play around. Better yet, go to the local races and get some feedback..

CHeers!
AngryAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:43 PM   #11
Tech Adept

I used a JR XS3 for a long time before moving up to the M11 and loved it. Plus its synthesized. I had a friend with the spektrum and it gave him fits, had to send it in and couldnt race for a month. Dont remember exactly what it was doing but this is just my opinion.

Jerry
Old 06-02-2006, 06:10 PM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Hunt 3
I've seen articles in magizines where you can buy a 3pk not sythesized but with a reciver for 290$. That's a good deal. THen when you get the money you can upgrade with the HRS spektrum.

Good Luck!!!
I got my 3PK without a receiver new off ebay from for $190. It was from Hong Kong and came under the Megatech name brand.

Last edited by or8ital; 06-02-2006 at 07:16 PM.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote