R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-07-2003, 03:13 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default To Solder or use terminals?????

Hi Steevo Here again,
Just wanted to get some opinions on the following.

I was contemplating using some high quality gold plated female spade terminals on my motors rather than soldering the wires on. It would make changing motors a snap!!
Do you think that there would be a significant amount of lost power to the motor??
I have thought of the fact that the wire could come off in a crash but these terminals have a large prong that clips into the hole in the motor terminal and can only be removed with the use of a small screwdriver.
What do you guys think??

Steevo
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 06:42 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Soldering is the way to go - and also, not all motors have the same size contacts on the endbell.

If you want to have a quick release motor, go for a plug (like a deans) somewhere along the motor cable - I've also seen people fit corally tubes to the motor, and plugs to the motor wires (bit bulky though).
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 08:04 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Interesting question... Ironically, Orion will be releasing a motor that uses a screw clamp type fixture to hold the wires in place. I like that idea, and hope that it catches on.

The problem is that a lot of outdoor tracks don't provide electricity so soldering wires can be a problem.

A better idea (rather than using spade type connects) would be to solder short leads to the motor, then attach a quality connector like a Deans plug. It adds a little more weight, and the wiring doesn't look as clean, however, you can swap motors easily with very little electrical loss.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 08:14 AM   #4
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

A buddy of mine, and a board member HPI 1 uses the slide on connectors on his motors. I always give him a hard time about switching to soldered on leads, but truth be told, I really didn't notice the difference in performance from his no-solder leads to my soldered on leads.

To me, this issue is right up there with how some people swear by hardwiring their packs instead of using connectors. Now I know zero-loss connectors such as Corally and deans are more effiecient than the motor push on connectors, but most regular people probably wouldn't notice any change in performance by using the push on motor leads.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:44 AM   #5
Tech Master

TRUE!!!
Old 01-07-2003, 09:49 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

As with any connector (except the deans, if soldered properly) they wear out and need replaced, just hope you catch this before it pops off in a race!!!!! However for a motor in most cases if the connector becomes unconnected there is usally a problem that needs addressed and could save you alot of money, especially if the speedo comes untaped and is dangling off of the chassis, it is much better for the connector to break the circuit than having the speedo demolished later in the race........

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 01:41 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Default To Solder or use terminals?????

Steevo;

I think that for Stock racing the difference between a soldered connection and top quality plug-in connectors would be negligible.
For Mod because the Amp draw is so much greater, I might be inclined to use only soldered connections. I WAS soldering my Motors in, but have recently installed short leads with a DEANS connector so I can quickly change Motors out without having to bring/borrow a soldering iron to the track. I use EURO plugs on my batteries and this seems to work great with no noticeable loss in performance either.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 02:38 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Thanks guys,
I think the most Important point so far is the one adressing the fact that usually if there is a major problem of some kind the motor wires do become hot causing the solder to soften and the wire to come off therefore breaking the circuit and stopping any serious damage. I had not thought of that and for me it is a good reason to stick with the soldering and use deans connectors a little way up from the motor.
I know that a couple of times in the past the I have had one of the soldered wires come off the motor due to it overheating because of wrong gearing.I would hate to have seen the damage if it had not come loose and I had been able to keep driving!!

Steevo
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 04:58 AM   #9
Tech Elite

I've never had a motor lead de-solder itself - maybe that's because (fingers crossed) I rarely have mechanical problems - I think a lead is more likely to come off because of poor soldering - and a poor solder joint is much more inefficient than any plug.

Example - a friend at the track last night was struggling to get his motor leads on with a 100W (!) iron. I got it on in 5 secs - because I tinned the motor tab (which was virtually dry), and re-shaped the motor wire (which had become fanned out).

Not to say you can't solder though Steevo - just a general point.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 05:41 AM   #10
Tech Master

I'll have to second that... I don't believe that it's possible for a motor (let alone the motor's solder tabs) becoming hot enough to melt solder. That just can't happen if the wire is properly soldered, because the motor will never get that hot! The temperature required for melting solder (not low temp solder) is in the neighborhood of 400 degrees F. If you're motor is getting that hot, I think that the motor would melt before the solder did.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:01 AM   #11
Tech Adept

using spade terminals will not really cause a difference in performance unless you change motor frequently. the constant pulling in and out of the spade terminal will cuase a poorer and poorer contact which will cause a performance drop.

the performance drop is more likely to be a drop in run time rather than actual speed.

If you get a decent solder joint with decent solder the joint should not come undone, i would recommend using some flux to get rid of all the cack on the tabs and then soldering. I only use a 30W iron but use a higher lead content in my solder thus lowering the metling point.

those people who are using 60W irons are IMO overkill, a decent 30W iron, solder and flux will do the same job no sweat.

just my 2 pence worth

sanj
schumacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 09:44 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Arrow Self DE-solering Motors

Guys;

If you are having trouble with your Motor leads de-soldering because of heat, you have a BIG problem with over gearing.

Geppetto;

I actually know someone who had his Car so far over geared that it melted the solder inside the circuit board of his ESC.

sosidge;

Right on! Pre-tin, solder and race.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote