R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-06-2003, 04:53 PM   #1
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball
Arrow dry diffs???

what can expect if i run my diffs dry? accelerated wear? poor performance? what about with different diff balls? what would be the best combo if i want to run dry?

tell me everything!
thanks.

oh, not the thrust assembly, just the main diff.
seaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 04:58 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Probably accelerated wear, but I've never really run my diffs dry so I wouldn't know!
Lab-driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 07:36 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Default what can expect if i run my diffs dry?

seaball;

What you are suggesting is Metal to Metal parts moving in contact with each other and with no lubrication. What do you think would happen to your Full Size Car with no Oil/Lube in the Differential? Probably not a pretty sight. I even put lube on my outdrives where the Dog-Bones meet and rub.

Last edited by popsracer; 01-06-2003 at 07:40 PM.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 08:46 PM   #4
Tech Elite

well, pops, to be honest, i know what typically happens when metal/metal rubs. though the diff balls experiece an infintesimally small slip as they roll, i'll assume it's negligeable. i think the diff will still last an acceptably long time. i might be wrong though. how does dirt and debris affect the unlubed diff versus lubed. i was looking for someone who may have tried it. i'm working on a hybrid car in my head, and it may consist of open shaft drive. in which case i'd prefer to use as little lube in the diffs as possible. i guess i can get away with some.

any other opinions or tales?

thanks guys.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:08 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

I see where your going seaball as the lube is attracting debris, my best suggestion is to use as little lube as possible or use a thicker lube so that it doesn't fling out around all over the diff to attract debris. Team Losi's brown diff grease is some pretty thick stuff and will not fling out around the diff. You can also invest in another car where either the drive train is sealed(Team Losi XXXS, AE TC3) or the diffs have diffs cover's to prevent debris from entering the diff(X-Ray T1, Schumacher Mission). Good luck and I hope this helped.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 11:53 AM   #6
Tech Elite

actually yes, it was very helpful. i'll try that brown losi stuff. i guess the idea you fellas are trying to convey is that minimal grease is still necessary to keep things operating normally. i'll figure it out. thanks!
Old 01-07-2003, 01:30 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Default diff grease

seaball;

There is also the consideration that the grease is a Friction modifier and is nesessary for the diffs to operate properly. There are a couple of companies that make Seal plates that help keep the dirt/dust out of the diffs. I think Integy is one of them.

My thinking on MOST new ideas is that if WE can think of it then probably someone else has already. AND, then why is it not being used in production my more companies (patents excepted).
Old 01-08-2003, 06:05 AM   #8
Tech Adept

the main job of the lubricant is to reduce heat which is the number one enemy of wear. heat is caused by the friction.

if you get rid of friction by using teflon then that should work? and teflon doesn't tend to attract dirt so you could try soaking the diff balls in teflon?!?

I personally use Molykote 671 in my diffs and it is easily better than the AE diff lube (which is severely overpriced) and doesn't break down at high temperature either.

just my 2 penceworth

sanj
schumacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 07:12 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Chris- You gotta run a little lube. Your diff gets rough fast if you don't! I wouldn't worry about your diff attracting dirt because it's relitively sealed, but don't run lube on your outdrives like someone else said. Dirt going in the diff gets trapped on the lube at the outside edges of the ring before it gets down towards where the balls ride.... You gotta be careful with the teflon lube and the other lubes that 'schumacher' is talking about because you'll have to run your diff tighter to avoid slipping. I've got a new car all drawn up in CAD I'll have to show you. What're you working on? You been running up at NORCAR?
pimpedaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 09:05 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Default Outdrive lube

Guys;

All you need is a drop or two of SOME kind of lube to significantly reduce the wear on the outdrives. I prefer a Teflon based lube as it seems to work good with the least amount of mess.
The argument of dirt & dust being attracted to the lube and causing MORE wear is ridiculous. After many years of using this method on my R/C cars and trucks. I can tell you that it ABSOLUTELY is better than running the joints dry.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:14 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

they make cvd boot I've see at my lhs i've run these in offroad with cv joints packedwith grease with great sucess.....Bubba
bubbaicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 09:22 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Default cvd boot

bubbaicm;

I see that we think alike on a lot of things. To bad the CVD Boots are not cheaper than $8 a pair.
I learned the outdrive trick when running my HPI cars. Got tired of replacing worn outdrives every couple of weeks. Once I started lubing them, I could go until the entire diff was completely worn out (over 6 months).
Old 01-08-2003, 09:35 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by schumacher
the main job of the lubricant is to reduce heat which is the number one enemy of wear. heat is caused by the friction.
sanj
The lubricants reduces FRICTION. Friction is what causes heat build-up and wear. The special Silicone lubes used in ball diffs is designed to keep the balls TURNING instead of slipping. The black grease used on the Trust bearing is a High Pressure Moly type grease.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:01 AM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
The lubricants reduces FRICTION. Friction is what causes heat build-up and wear. The special Silicone lubes used in ball diffs is designed to keep the balls TURNING instead of slipping. The black grease used on the Trust bearing is a High Pressure Moly type grease.
radio shack sells a tube of siliconelube with teflon this is big enouf for your whole racn career of building diffs. .............Bubba
bubbaicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 10:12 AM   #15
Tech Elite

hey jeff,
good to hear from ya. yeah, i've been racing with norcar. i love carpet racing!!!!! i never thought i would. i am looking forward to racing on rubber tires though for the summer. what about you? school keeping you pretty busy? i'd like to see that new chassis you're working on. i've got a corally c4.1 laying around that i was gonna build up. only i figured i'd get creative and modify the drivetrain to a shaft drive. on these tight carpet layouts the shaft really seems to prevail as the high grip induces more drag durring the turns. i'm just curious to see. the C4.1 pivot ball setup is heavy, but slopless and nearly indestructable. so far it's all just in my head. we'll see, as i'm still working to improve my current ride. the rclab 7even. it's a fun car, but i can still get more cornerspeed. that's priority #1 right now.
later,
chris.
btw-what do you lube your tc3 gears with?