R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   English Vocabulary and RC/Real cars (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/115588-english-vocabulary-rc-real-cars.html)

rcnewb2004 05-27-2006 05:34 AM

English Vocabulary and RC/Real cars

I am a newb at RC and a newb at teaching... doing a unit in physics high school... and wanted to throw a little extra into the course... but I just discovered that my understanding of the words below are weak... anyone here that can lend a hand? :smile:

(Sorta my effor to promote the hobby)

English Question:
What is a (when people say they mount shocks on their cars..) Shock?

What is a Damper?

What is a Suspension?

What is a Shock Absorber?

Smoking motor.. 05-27-2006 09:56 AM

Easier to explain if you see for your self

http://travel.howstuffworks.com/mountain-bike4.htm

Terminolgy is the same for cars but oil to dampen the suspension.
Read up on it Elvo setup guide also has a lot of useful information.
Cant remember the web addy for the life of me.

andsetinn 05-27-2006 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by rcnewb2004
I am a newb at RC and a newb at teaching... doing a unit in physics high school... and wanted to throw a little extra into the course... but I just discovered that my understanding of the words below are weak... anyone here that can lend a hand? :smile:

English Question:

What is a Damper?

What is a Suspension?

Here is my Friday answer, hikk. :D

When you mount shocks to your car you're messing with the electronics so that every time someone touches it he gets electric shock.
Dampers are stuff you add to the shocks so they're not lethal, you damp the shock.
Shock absorber is the thing you carry around to absorb the shock when you touch your car. You wouldn't want get shocked every time you touched your car. Therefore you need the shock absorber.
Last but not least is the Suspension. It's when turn marshals are suspicious that you've mounted shocks to your car and pretend not to see it when you've rolled it over. In other words they suspend your car until the end of the race.

Arn0 05-27-2006 12:13 PM

You can have the basic with the first docuement and deeper explanation with the second one following that link

As ever, hope that can help!

Skiddins 05-27-2006 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by rcnewb2004

English Question:

What is a Damper?

What is a Suspension?

Shock = Shock absorber
Shock Absorber = Damper (it's correct name!)

The above should always be used in conjunction with springs

Suspension = The term for all the moving parts attached to a chassis whose movement is controlled by the dampers and springs.

The purpose of a damper is to control unwanted spring oscillations (movement), e.g. When a car comes to a stop it would rock back and forwards for a long time without dampers.

DISCLAIMER, I wrote the above without looking at the mentioned sites or looking in a dictionary, so don't blame me :D

Skiddins

pinggoy 05-27-2006 09:37 PM

When you mount shocks to your car you're messing with the electronics so that every time someone touches it he gets electric shock.

Dampers are stuff you add to the shocks so they're not lethal, you damp the shock.

Shock absorber is the thing you carry around to absorb the shock when you touch your car. You wouldn't want get shocked every time you touched your car. Therefore you need the shock absorber.
Last but not least is the Suspension. It's when turn marshals are suspicious that you've mounted shocks to your car and pretend not to see it when you've rolled it over. In other words they suspend your car until the end of the race.

that was a nice one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: