R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-05-2006, 05:06 AM   #121
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

So basicly, the DPD can do the dutied of a Smart Tray and a 0-30 at the same time except that it is a pulse discharge instead of a linear 30a discharge? Am I correct?
Old 09-05-2006, 09:53 AM   #122
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to RoachRacing Send a message via AIM to RoachRacing Send a message via Yahoo to RoachRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandeGixxer
So basicly, the DPD can do the dutied of a Smart Tray and a 0-30 at the same time except that it is a pulse discharge instead of a linear 30a discharge? Am I correct?
You are correct. If you tried to dump a full 3800 or 4200 on a 030 it would fry the 030 and heat cycle the pack. Doing it on the DPD it takes about 50-70 min's to discharge a full pack and the pack gets slightly warm.

Then you can do a linear 5amp discharge before you charge the next time.

Its a great product! only complaints I have are the information after the discharge changes screens too fast. And the color
RoachRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:51 AM   #123
Tech Adept

Does anyone know if you can fit a pack in the DPD with the connectors soldered on top of the cells instead of on a bent battery bar?
vassago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:59 AM   #124
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by vassago
Does anyone know if you can fit a pack in the DPD with the connectors soldered on top of the cells instead of on a bent battery bar?
If you mean like a bullet style connector then yes they will fit.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:01 AM   #125
Tech Adept

Yes, the Corally style tube.

Guess I'm forced to buy one than
vassago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:58 PM   #126
Tech Regular

there is some interesting speculation about how the dpd supposedly works in the last day or two over on this other thread:
other Trinity DPD thread

can anyone confirm or refute the claims/observations?
quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 04:01 PM   #127
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I too am curious as to the feedback from the other thread. Single cell discharge or not?
Jeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 12:17 PM   #128
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Okay I got mine. I still don't understand how it works. Of course it helps to read the instructions, but I didn't.

Many people who saw mine at the track where very curious and interested. They are also looking for it to do what everyone has hoped for: a set it/ forget it way of discharging IB4200s.

However from my experience, it wasn't that. First of all it kept asking me about the battery connection when I set it for internal pulse 30A discharge. It would only do the 30A pulse when connected externally, but not all the way to cut-off. It would stop well before cut-off and I would have to put it in the tray and start a linear discharge to the set cut-off. This would take some time, obviously not convenient.

So I wonder, the 30A pulse discharge, is only done as a whole and not individually? Does it discharge individual cells only with the 5A linear? BTW I was able to do that and it took forever.(5A Linear - individual)
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:59 PM   #129
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Got mine last week. I love it!
I cycled all my 6 before on my reedy quasar pro and sorted the packs 4 for racing and 2 for practice... All is good. Well with the PDP and my excel sheet i found that if i moved cell XYZ to pack 1 and cell ABC to pack 3 that i created 4 better race packs and 2 worse practice packs Basically i now have the best 4 packs(24cells!!!) i own now marked for racing. Took some extra effort rematching cells but i followed up by cycing all 6 again and verified my cell moves...

LOVE:
-cordless, now i can packup and not worry about my smart tray needing power as this thing can continue dumping on the ride home
-small in size
-back lite!
-awsume connections a new industry standard!!
-seems accurate
-helped me really find out how good or bad my backs where cell by cell

HATE:
-back info scrolls away way to fast!! Filling out my excel sheets really tested my typing skillz
-6 cell slots should mean 1,2,3,4,5 or 6 cell discharging
-display doesnt tell u when its 30amp or 5amp discharing when set on pulse
-would be nice to have the ability to choose 30amp liniar like the zero30...

Last edited by Joel Lagace; 10-09-2006 at 09:01 PM. Reason: more
Joel Lagace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 01:15 AM   #130
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

My question is this.... I have a DPD and now what do I do with all this info? How are you guys using the info to tell which cells are bad? On my old packs resistance is all over the place so what do I do. I guess I have a ton of information but no practical way of using that information to get better packs. So please post some suggestions, thanks!
Old 10-28-2006, 02:02 PM   #131
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
If you mean like a bullet style connector then yes they will fit.

EA
I'm running IB4200s and with those tubes soldered perfectly centered on the battery. When I clamp in the pack the DPD connectors dont sit flat anywhere on the tube so it just pushes the battery aside away from the rest of the pack putting strain on the battery bar connecting the cells..

So this means I have to modify the tubes on all of my packs to be further apart to somehow sit in the dpd....

Looks like a real pain.. I may just go back to solder tabs..
mcgmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 02:28 PM   #132
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemic_SluG
My question is this.... I have a DPD and now what do I do with all this info? How are you guys using the info to tell which cells are bad? On my old packs resistance is all over the place so what do I do. I guess I have a ton of information but no practical way of using that information to get better packs. So please post some suggestions, thanks!

Well what i did with the info is put it all on a spread sheet so that i could compare all my packs. I have been running ultra cheap intgy patched packs(i used the terms matched very loosly ) And what i found was that i could shuffle cells around from pack to pack to create 4 killer(good) packs and 2 practice packs. My 6 packs where all of similar age and numbers when new but they did not all perform the same. I had sorted them before using my reedy quasar pro by cycling them at 20 amps and while it sorted out my 6 packs using the PDP allowed me to resort the 36 cells. Now its no replacement for a TURBO matcher and i would not suggest thats why u get this unit, but its good for grading what u own, and verifying that cells are good or bad. My top pack i had was actually not my top pack after i did some re-shufling of the cells..

I race stock so i sorted based on AVG VOLTS and IR, while keeping a close eye on run time as you can match 2 cells wtih the same AVG volts but be way off on run time. But basically used those 3 units.

MCGMARK: The alternative would be to mount the tube to the top of the cells using bent battery bars, it adds to the clutter of your pack though and what i endup doing was go back to hard-wiring my packs as using my cells in trays was much easier with no tubes, as well it made for a cleaner looking race car when the packs got hard wired
Old 10-29-2006, 02:09 PM   #133
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Send a message via MSN to Dasupacat1

Does this thing hold the batts volt. at .9v when it's done like th Novak se dis.?
Dasupacat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 05:00 PM   #134
Tech Elite

no it shuts off, same as the original novak smart tray. Not sure why u would need or want it to hold at .9v since u have to remove the pack to store at some time?
Old 10-29-2006, 05:12 PM   #135
Tech Elite

I think I'm blind here, but can anyone tell me which slot is 1 and which is 6? Thx.
Un-sponsored Shoutout: NexusRacing.com
*** 301 Raceway is my home away from Home ***
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote