R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-08-2006, 02:18 PM   #226
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What good is my DPD if I have to use yet another device, like a Reactor 30? If I use a something else to do a fast discharge, those numbers aren't shown in the data on the DPD.

What is faster on the DPD, 30a pulsed or 5a linear? I don't think I can fit this into my racing schedule. Why is it so hard for these manufacturers to discharge at a fast rate! It's quite obvious that the "pulses" are at different rates on the various products out there. 30a pulsed could be such a slow pulse that it takes 24 hours, or so fast that it takes 24 minutes.
James35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:56 PM   #227
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

to be honest i dont pay any attention to any of the numbers when im at the track. Sure when im dumping them after a run ill check to see if there is one cell thats weaker but i save the matching for at home. When your at the track all your bad cell issues should have been taken care of at home.

But i feel your pain, it would have been nice to have a linear 30amp option for quick track dumping.

What blows my mind is that no one seems to be able to put the complete package together when it comes to chargers and dischargers... All the options u really need are out there but it takes 5 different chargers to get them all in one box.

For the DPD here is how it should have been or the next version should be:
-everything it does now(its good and mild on your cells you wont over cycle them with it as is)
ADD THE FOLLOWING:
-dead short mode(for GP and any other cell in the future that may like it
-voltage holding... i see guys asking for it i dont see a need but what the hell...
-30 amp linear (al-la integy zero-30) only stop at your desired 0v to .9v cut off. I want this available as internal and external.
-data screens that do not cycle on there own, give me some time to read it
-USB port to sync to excel sheets
Most of this is software related wich in materials cost nothing. the 30amp liniar would take hardware upgrades but if u look at the low cost of the zero30 it should not really cost much to make the dpd do this stuff

My dream charger:
Rather then list all the options here is what i would add to an already great charger my APS DYNO charger.Most of todays chargers are 80% complete
-20-30 amp discharge
-storage charge....timer charge(so we can add the 500-1000seconds of charge for storage) Hit storage charge and walk away it will stop when u programed it to. IF you wanna get real cute, this mode would first discharge the pack down then charge in the time u want.
-lipo
-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 cell charging
-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 cell discharging
-that pretty much covers what i want

The spintec charger shows potential but again it misses stuff like high discharge rates... i don't think it runs motors either...
Old 12-08-2006, 03:16 PM   #228
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
What blows my mind is that no one seems to be able to put the complete package together when it comes to chargers and dischargers... All the options u really need are out there but it takes 5 different chargers to get them all in one box.
Oh man! No kidding! I feel the same way!

I think many of us would be willing to pay more for the ultimate all in one charger/discharger/equalizer unit. Heck, we are already paying plenty for the multiple units it takes to get the job done.

Here's my list:

Nicad, Nimh, Lipo, Li-Ion
Externally: 1-10 cells
Internally: 1-6 cells
Individual cell charging in a tray like the DPD (not screws)
Individual cell discharging
Discharge to adjustable voltage (0.0v - 1.2V)
After discharge reaches desired voltage: Release or Hold (hold for x amount of seconds)
Backlit
Motor run function
Plenty of battery memory options (10 just doesn't cut it)
Graph display like the ICE
Built in clock (needed for the next feature I just though of)
Race Ready start time. If I want a pack ready to race at 7:00pm, it will auto start the discharge/equalize/charge process to have it ready for me, peaking just before 7:00. It could even slow down the discharge amps to stretch the time if needed. Or it could even do a quick discharge test to fiquire out how much voltage is in the pack, therefore determines when to start the discharging.

Last edited by James35; 12-08-2006 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:36 PM   #229
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to coons88

Quote:
Originally Posted by James35
What is faster on the DPD, 30a pulsed or 5a linear?
I would like to know this also

Quote:
Fully agree!!

Quote:
The spintec charger shows potential but again it misses stuff like high discharge rates... i don't think it runs motors either...
The Spintec does run motors, but the external output blows up when you do it! The Spintec charger is a great product, with LOTS of potential, it has the potential to be the ultimate charger and discharger in one, but at this stage it has a million software and hardware issues.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:05 PM   #230
Tech Master

Exclamation Dischaging woes!!!!

The best thing to do when discharging for me is discharge the night before or early in the morning if you get up early and when you get to the track discharge with the pulse. It may take 5 minutes at the most and I sometimes do it once more and you'll see the cells all finish around the same time and then put it on the charger right away.This works best for me!
The voltage comes back some the night before but not enough to cause a long discharge time!
Or you can buy 3 DPD's! NOT!
Just my 2$
"Tamiya Racer to Infinity and Beyond!"
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:51 AM   #231
mha
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by James359
What is faster on the DPD, 30a pulsed or 5a linear? I don't think I can fit this into my racing schedule. Why is it so hard for these manufacturers to discharge at a fast rate! It's quite obvious that the "pulses" are at different rates on the various products out there. 30a pulsed could be such a slow pulse that it takes 24 hours, or so fast that it takes 24 minutes.
In post #146 I tried to answer the question:

"Repeated the measurement with 30A pulsed discharge to verify the pulse/width ratio and effective (= average) discharge current in stage 1. Result: 1053 mAh in 13:06 (= 786s). 1053*3600/768 = 4823 mA. So assuming it really does 30 A pulses the on/off pulse cycle is 1:5 (1 duty cycle followed by 5 off cycles). When I get hold of a scope I will report the cycle length. I reckon it's in the area of 100-200ms."

So the answer is: It takes roughly the same time as in 5A linear mode.

MHA
mha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:50 PM   #232
Tech Adept

Quote:
I have 2 questions. It's apparent that this does 2 stage discharging. From what I'm reading, the second stage does do individual discharging to the desired cutoff. Does the DPD take this second stage individual discharging into account and adds the results to stage one, giving you the proper math?

Secondly, I use Trinity's R-Minus bullet connectors.

Can this accomodate for the large connectors and still establish good connections with the other cells?
At first I had a problem woith those connectors but now I just squeeze the pack together as I clamp it in place and have no problems now.

I am a newb so I have a dumb question.. is the DPD a equalizer ?
mcgmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 08:31 PM   #233
mjm
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicRC

When I cycle the new "good" packs, I find the same cell (cell 5) is STILL weak in all of the packs! Anyone else have issues with cell 5 always being low capacity-wise? Glad I didn't toss those "bad" cells yet.

I have an issue with cell 5 usually coming up as the stronget cell. My DPD will discharge the whole pack and seem that is hung on discharging cell 5. Sometimes taking 3 hours to show that it is discharged. I have noticed this on a few different packs
Old 12-17-2006, 08:52 PM   #234
Tech Adept

Hello got a stupid question...With the Trinity DPD if I wanted to use this to discharge a pack of IB4200s, would I need to remove my deans or tamiya connector each time I wanted to discharge? All of the pictures I see have no connectors...thanks
jeffbhhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:05 PM   #235
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbhhs
Hello got a stupid question...With the Trinity DPD if I wanted to use this to discharge a pack of IB4200s, would I need to remove my deans or tamiya connector each time I wanted to discharge? All of the pictures I see have no connectors...thanks
I do my 4200s on the DPD with the Deans connectors soldered straight to the cells. Just have to be careful with placement into the DPD and the cells need to be shoe-gooed together.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:53 PM   #236
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)
Default discharge

I usually put in a pack and discharge in the car while driving to the track.

Since it can run on AA,I just put it in the front seat (be careful when u slam on the brake for emergency) or front seat floor with a sheet of paper under it so no dirt will get into the fan.

by the time I get to the track and setup the first pack will be almost done assuming it is not fully charged.
straightaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:11 AM   #237
mha
Tech Initiate

Quote:
I have 2 questions. It's apparent that this does 2 stage discharging. From what I'm reading, the second stage does do individual discharging to the desired cutoff. Does the DPD take this second stage individual discharging into account and adds the results to stage one, giving you the proper math?
Has that been answered already?

Yes it does take stage2 in account. One easy proof is that the results for all cells are different. Would it have stopped after stage 1 (which is a full pack discharge mode) all results would be the same.

Btw, the 30A numbers (i.e. times) the DPD gives are just the result of simple math. It divides the real time used by 6 according to the 5A average discharge current in either of the two modes (5A/30A=>1/6). Mathematically correct, physically not, but good enough.

MHA
mha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:48 PM   #238
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)
Default ctxd2 VS DPD

I borrowed my friend's CTXD2 becasue I needed two dischargers while waiting for my 2nd DPD.

After the CTXd2 stopped at cut off, I put the battery on the DPD, it takes another 10-15 min to discharge to .9V. So which one is accurate?
straightaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:28 PM   #239
Tech Fanatic

They both are. As soon as you stop discharging, a cell's voltage will rebound up to 1.2V. When you put it on the DPD, it brings the pack quickly down until one cell hits your cutoff. Then it slowly (too slowly in my opinion) equalizes the other cells at a measley 1.5 amp discharge. Good for the batteries, but not good when you are in a hurry at the race track.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:56 PM   #240
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightaway
I borrowed my friend's CTXD2 becasue I needed two dischargers while waiting for my 2nd DPD.

After the CTXd2 stopped at cut off, I put the battery on the DPD, it takes another 10-15 min to discharge to .9V. So which one is accurate?
As James says...It doesn't make much difference what discharger you use... there will always be a quick voltage recovery by your cells after discharging. When I have time, I discharge my packs twice successively on my DPD to achieve the best equalization between cells.

Makes the Novak Smart Tray II look pretty good because it maintains .9V in each cell even when normal discharging has ceased.

Bill

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote