Wiki Posts
Search

trinity DPD digital pro discharger!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlueR1
i use them bulltet plugs aswell, however i use a L-bar and then put the female tube on top. Its just much easier to hold the cell in place, and get better readings
ditto. i use a similar "L-bar" .. or just bend a battery bar

i also have female tubes that are soldered onto the batteries exactly like the picture. you can still use it on the DPD. some times it doesn't make a good connection. just check to make sure it detects all cells before you start discharging.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I recently have purchased a DPD, and it seems to be VERY slow when discharging at 5amp linear in the tray. I just discharged a IB4200 and it took 1hour and 7min to take 2058mah out of the highest charged cell. This seems very slow, is there something wrong?
Old 12-02-2006, 02:08 AM
mha
Tech Initiate

conns88: have a look at posts #145 and #146 in this thread. I tried to explain how it works and why it takes quite a while to discharge a whole pack.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

if you have 1 cell that has substantially less run-time, the the discharge process for the other cells will take much longer
Old 12-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've been using a unit for less than a month now but notice that the screen tends to fade half way thru a pack (to the point where it can't be read).

Have tried using fully peak AA and fresh alkalines but problem still persists. Has anyone experienced the same problem?

Rgds
Old 12-04-2006, 10:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default Wish it had a slot for a memory card

I've been using the DPD for a few months now and it sure would be nice if it had a slot for some form of memory card (CF, SD, whatever is cheapest). That way, the saved results could be written to the card and you could then load in your PC and trend the numbers. Trying to get the numbers from the screen is cumbersome. I've resorted to taking digital photos of the screen just so I can compare numbers. Anybody come up with a better solution?
Old 12-04-2006, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Hey thats a great idea! Its terribly cumbersome for sure. I don't pay too much to the data on at the track but when i setup the old charger and DPD for some cylcing data ill be using the digi cam to help with the data, im not a fast typer and converting the data to excel sheets is a painful process
Old 12-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ng17
I've been using a unit for less than a month now but notice that the screen tends to fade half way thru a pack (to the point where it can't be read).

Have tried using fully peak AA and fresh alkalines but problem still persists. Has anyone experienced the same problem?

Rgds

only happen when my aa's are flat
Old 12-08-2006, 06:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 135 (100%+)
I've been using my DPD for some time now, mostly on 6-cell IB3600's, GP3300's, and GP3700's. When I first started using it, I thought it was great. I identified the weakest cells (by capacity) in my four GP3300 packs and built three "good" packs out of four so-so packs. So far, so good.

When I cycle the new "good" packs, I find the same cell (cell 5) is STILL weak in all of the packs! Anyone else have issues with cell 5 always being low capacity-wise? Glad I didn't toss those "bad" cells yet.

I also have problems with battery connections now, for some reason. If I try a few times, it will finally work. This unit seemed to be OK in the beginning, but I don't know if I trust it now. Wonder how the Integy Digital-90 will be (if they ever release it).
Old 12-08-2006, 06:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I was told to lightly sand the pins on the dpd, this helped with connections issues on mine. I haven't used it enough times to notice of cell 5 is always, low, but will check this weekend.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 135 (100%+)

I'll try that. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm a little frustrated at my new DPD. 30 amp pulsed discharging sounds fast, but it takes FOREVER! I was really hoping that this so called "Dyna Pro Digital Discharger" would actually provide a decent discharging service. This DPD is more like a smart equalizing tray, not a discharger.

As a race director, I have little time to work on my car, and need to be efficient as possible, and the ability to walk away. The DPD does offer the ability to walk away, I don't have to worry about over discharging. But it's too friggin slow to discharge. Then after it is done with the 30 amp pulsed discharging, the equalizing seems like it takes way too long as well.

I come to the track with three 4200 packs (each with 600 seconds charge in them). I have an ICE charger. I arrive 1+ hour early. We have approximately 1 hour between races. What would you guys suggest I do to equalize and charge on time? Do I need yet another charger or discharge device to make this happen on time? Please advise, what is your routine?
Old 12-08-2006, 11:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default found the same

I found the same to be true, just took a little too long for it to do the job...I usually make it 1 hour before race start. I found that I needed to equalize with my Rayspeed to start the charging process in time.

The DPD is great when using at home during the week or if you get to the track a few hours early.

The number it does display were close and did show me which were the weak cell in my packs.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by James35
I'm a little frustrated at my new DPD. 30 amp pulsed discharging sounds fast, but it takes FOREVER! I was really hoping that this so called "Dyna Pro Digital Discharger" would actually provide a decent discharging service. This DPD is more like a smart equalizing tray, not a discharger.

As a race director, I have little time to work on my car, and need to be efficient as possible, and the ability to walk away. The DPD does offer the ability to walk away, I don't have to worry about over discharging. But it's too friggin slow to discharge. Then after it is done with the 30 amp pulsed discharging, the equalizing seems like it takes way too long as well.

I come to the track with three 4200 packs (each with 600 seconds charge in them). I have an ICE charger. I arrive 1+ hour early. We have approximately 1 hour between races. What would you guys suggest I do to equalize and charge on time? Do I need yet another charger or discharge device to make this happen on time? Please advise, what is your routine?
Use a reactor 30 until it shuts off. Then use the PDP at the 5 amp linear. Then you can charge.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Yep it takes an hour plus on a full charge to complete a cycle, reseach on the forums not trinity let me know of this before i bought it. i knew what i was getting into..

What i would recomend for a quicker discharge is to use the external option as the unit will dump in pulse mode till the whole pack hits 5.4v not each cell. The slow time comes after the first internal cell is done.. then u wait in liniar mode..

As for connections, you have to make sure u have good solder joints and clean battery bars as well as clean terminals on the unit...... Your batteries get just as dirty as the rest of your car.. keep that in mind..

I have done the cycle rematch cycle job a few times now and i cannot say that one slot comes up more often then others... I was able to identify and then recofirm over and over a IB cell that had self dishcarged... It still is usable but its down big time on run time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.