R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-08-2006, 10:27 AM   #61
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm going to be running the RP30's w/ new rims this weekend for the 1st. I never had a problem breaking rims before. So hope I don't this time.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:40 AM   #62
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
Fred - Thanks for the kind words. Say Hi to Debbie at Rain City for me!
Old 06-08-2006, 10:51 AM   #63
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag88
Sorry for the flame but after spending $76.32 for two sets of tires and then having to re-glue them leaves me a bit frustrated especially when my 27's are near perfect. Again my apologies.
I understand...just shoot me an email and I will take care of your bad tires for you.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:56 AM   #64
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to pucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo
Adrian....

My LHS just received an order about 4 weeks ago of RP's and they are all the old style. They crack way to easy. Have you guys finnished flushing out the old ones from your stock yet? I can't find any of the new kind. Do you know of a place I can get them from? Other then Sheldons, that is.
If you don't mind Mail order My LHS thas them. Check out the link on my sig. Fast track is dedicated to the racers and are always on top of the new trends.
pucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 05:01 AM   #65
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to pucho

Quote:
Thats pretty sketchy. We have never imported anything that looked like that.
certain distributor in Canada uses a BBS style rim like that but theirs are FLO Yello.
pucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:12 AM   #66
Tech Fanatic

Default iic tires

Hey Adrian,

Interesting thread and some great info on rubber tires here. In terms of the grip level at iic last year, I would have to say we don't need tires with more grip. Traction rolling was a problem even with the CS27. As the weekend progressed drivers were able to change their setups to combat the traction rolling. The CS27 tire was perfect and remained consistent the entire event. I only used one set of tire for 19T and two sets for mod.

Either way, I am sure it will be another great event this year.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:07 AM   #67
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

I found last night on a track about 100* the Sorrex 28 worked really well. The tire had about a good 10 runs on it. I do not know what the lap times were. But it keept the car on the track with traction.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:36 PM   #68
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default RP36s

After the Asphalt Nats at Speedworld, I had 6 sets of one run (OK one set had two runs) RP36 tires in my box to think about using up...in cooler Northern California. Looks like I will be racing out in the Central Valley (90-100 F) with track temps above 115 F for awhile. Love these RP-36s until the sun goes down. I have been baking in Tire Tweak so far; but, will have to try the Hybrid Dip.

Thanks for all the tips Adrian.

Bill

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:50 PM   #69
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

So, forgive me here since I'm a bit of a rubber tire noob, but what happens when a rubber tire goes bad? Do you have less traction, and that's why they slow down? Is it noticeable, like the car suddenly gets very loose, or the tires heat up more quickly, or is it something more subtle?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:38 AM   #70
Tech Adept

They do get a little looser all round, you can see the wear also, plus you only realise how bad they are when you go and put on a new set of boots
LEE UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:31 AM   #71
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
So, forgive me here since I'm a bit of a rubber tire noob, but what happens when a rubber tire goes bad? Do you have less traction, and that's why they slow down? Is it noticeable, like the car suddenly gets very loose, or the tires heat up more quickly, or is it something more subtle?
The best analogy I can give is the feeling before your rubber warms up. Or the feelings of a car on a dusty track. Bad tires just don't hook up as well as a good set.

Your first lap or two always feel a little "off", then all of a sudden the tires are clean and warm and voila. The car rips into the turns and jumps out cleanly and quickly.

Bad tires feel like your cold tires...

They understeer when you throw a car into a chicane, and feel loose when you power out. Steering inputs become a bit shabby and the car moves around more, requiring more small corrections.

I also find the car tends to "hook" into corners more because you put more lock on going into a corner because of the initial understeer.

As for heat.. (Wish we had some here.. it's bloody freezing), the tire really starts to slide more and more. Almost like it's greasy..
And overheated tire is like driving a drift car!
AngryAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:45 AM   #72
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Also depends on how well the track surface is prepared. If you have a really well prepared surface, you may be able to get away with running worn tires and still achieve nirvana.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:39 AM   #73
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
You are correct in your opinion.

The CS (Control Standard) series are designed to run consistently for as many runs as possible. This is a huge advantage for a tire used for spec tire races.

The RP (Racing Physics) series are designed to be an all out racing tire. Fast lap times were a more important design criteria than tire life. RP tires are usually 1-2/10ths per lap faster than a similar compound CS tire.

Tire life - CS27

Stock or 19T : 6-10 runs before falling off
Open Mod: 4-6 runs

Tire life - RP30

Stock or 19T : 4-8 runs before falling off
Open Mod: 2-4 runs

The better you car setup the longer your tires will stay fast. Cars that are really working well slide less and this reduces tire wear.

The best traction compounds are:

CS tires:

Cold 0-75 deg F track surface : Paragon Ground Effects
Warm 65-120 deg F: 50/50 Mix of Paragon FXII and Trinity Tire Tweak
Hot 100-160 deg F: Tire Tweak

RP tires:

Cold 0-75 deg F track surface : Paragon Ground Effects
Warm 65-120 deg F: Hybrid Dip baked 20min with tire warmers
Hot 100-160 deg F: Hybrid Dip

Excellent post. Thank you!
Old 07-09-2006, 03:34 PM   #74
Tech Master

Well, I have finally had the opportunity to test the old and new rim with the CS22s on back to back. This was at TORC today and I ran the old style rim for the first two qualifiers, the new style for the last qual and 1st final, and the old style again for the 2nd final.

On the old style rims, bearing in mind the track was very dusty and getting better at each run, I shaved off 5/10th off my best lap between the first and the second round. The car felt safe and the rear end without being as planted as usual due to track conditions, was easily kept under control.

3rd qualifier and on the new rims (and a new set of tyres obviously) after 3 laps the back end started snapping out especially in low speed corners. I only improved by 3/100s even though my fastest lap was 3/10 quicker, due to inconsistency (and a bit of backmarkers, but i had those in the previous rounds too).

1st final I decide to keep the new style, with stiffer springs on front to try and calm the car down. The rear end is still very loose and laptimes are 2/10th slower than in the previous run.

2nd final, on tyres that are on their 3rd run (old style rims), i get my back end back under control and poof the laptimes are back, same best lap than in the 3rd qualifying actually, which was done on a new set.

So my conclusion is the following : I don't know how you can tell the new rims are quicker, for me they simply are NOT, and the tyres last even less than before. I'm quite not pleased as I liked the CS22s and now, I don't see myself using them again, unless I find a set on the old style rims like today.

As for the rims cracking, I never had an issue, as a matter of fact my only issue was with the rim being very thick and rubbing on the wishbones , which hasn't been solved by the new rims.

Of course this is my personal experience, but I've heard the same stories by other drivers here in the UK...
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:42 PM   #75
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
At our request Take Off changes the rim material from ABS to High Impact Nylon. The new rim is made from a new mold that was resized to take into account the greater shrinkage of nylon while cooling. We have measured the new rims and dimensionally they are identical to the old ABS rim. The are just as round and straight as the old rim.

We had the material changed due to complaints of ABS rims cracking during crashes. You can beat the new rims with a hammer and they wont break.

The nylon rims are also 1-2/10ths per lap faster than the old rims
AdrianM, my Take Off tires dont fit on the front of the RDX with the new rims. The Speedmind rims that used to be used fit fine. Whats up with these new thicker rims. Any recommendations on getting them to fit on the RDX?
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote