R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-24-2006, 05:21 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Exclamation ATTENTION Carisma owners!!

I have a club of 12 in upstate New York that races the Carisma 1/14 cars. We have been having a terrible time getting replacement parts and option parts made by Carisma for these cars. Example: The Ford GT bodyset and wheelset havenot ever been availble since the car was available back in March. That car is only sold in red however on the box it shows it being available in white, blue, yellow, silver, and black. This same problem holds true for several of their cars.
Carsima has a website which is: matoys.com and I have sent them several emails over the past month trying to figure out why we here in the USA can't get ALL of the parts for these cars. Also I found out that there is a bunch more such as a Corvette, a Mitsubishi and Ford focus rally car, and others that we don't get here.
MA Toys/Carisma responded and implied that the USA distributor which is Horizon Hobbies is at fault.
So I have sent several emails to Horizon customer service on this and they claim to be looking into it with their purchasers.
I am asking ALL Carisma owners and racers across the country to email Horizon and demand that they fix this problem and carry the FULL line of Carisma 1/14 cars and parts. The more of us that do this the better the chance they will listen and do what we want.
So please get out there and start sending those emails to Horizon.
Thank you

Last edited by Team Lotus; 05-24-2006 at 05:47 AM.
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:50 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Sorry to burst your bubble, but your club is trying to use a toy-grade car in a hobby-grade environment.

Best bet is to dump the Carismas and use something like a Tamiya TT-01 instead, at least they are designed to be repaired and the parts are widely available.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:18 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

They may not be the top of the line, but the Carisma 1/14th scales are great little cars! I started a little class for them where I used to work and it was a big hit! They are inexpensive ($100 for everything!), durable, fairly quick, look like static models, and handle extremely well on carpet. I have a 1/14th scale Carisma F1 car that has been modded with a few homemade parts and a Mamba motor and, to be honest, it's one of my favorite cars to run on carpet (I have tons of 1/10th scale racing stuff too ). So, just because it isn't considered a "racing" car doesn't mean it can't be raced. Remember, the first auto race came after the second automobile was built! lol
RCevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:01 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Exclamation

RCevolution thank you for your reply. How many people do you have racing Carisma cars? Are you having the same issues as us with parts being unavailable? I have the McLaren MP4-19 "Kimi" car and I love it, However I can't get the replacement McLaren body for it.
Would you and your friends PLEASE send emails to Horizon Hobbies and tell then to start carrying everything that Carisma offers for these cars as well as the new models that Carisma now makes. It would be a great help if you did. Thank you
Old 05-25-2006, 01:54 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Are you sure they even make replacement parts ?
They kinda look like the old Nikko / Tyco R/C cars of old that one you broke it, it was done unless you could rig a tamiya part onto it.
erock1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:13 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Yes, they do make replacement and hopup parts for them. I do not know how many people are still racing them as I now have another job and no longer work at the hobby shop, but there were about 8+ people when I left...mind you this was a beginner class. They really are some great, fun and inexpensive cars that perfom better than they look. Perfect cars for someone who wants to play. I will email Horizon as I think it would be a shame these little cars got dropped.

Realize that you don't need $2000 dollars worth of stuff to have fun racing with this hobby. There are PLENTY of people out there who just want to have some fun with a few buddies and not LIVE r/c racing. These types of cars are great for the hobby, don't put them down.
RCevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:48 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Exclamation

RCevolution you hit the nail on the head; I could'nt have said it any better. My club is roughly 50% kids and adults, and they were looking to run a simple, inexpensive scale looking class and from the magazine reviews on the Carisma I felt that this car was a good choice. They look like diecast models, the bodies are beautiful! They also offer graphite chassis, ball diff, full bearings, aluminum threaded oil shock, aluminum heatsink motormount, and racing slick tires with moulded inserts as option parts.
So they can be upgraded to a more "serious" level if that is what you want. Our club has adopted many of these upgrades.
However we need for people to email Horizon Hobbies customer service and demand that they service these cars better and keep parts in stock as well as offer the full lineup of the M14 and F14 series.
So please send those emails and if you know anyone with a Carisma encourage them to do the same.
Thank you
Old 05-26-2006, 08:52 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Lotus
If you cant get the parts, there is always the 1/18th scalers. Like the Mini-t's etc. That is a good low cost class as well (well as long as you dont allow Unlimited modifications/upgrades).

We ran a Mini-t class where all you could add was oil filled shocks, the sport stock motor, aftermarket turnbuckles and foam tires.

We had a good time with it. Ran 2 heats of oval, and ran 2 heats of onroad with some small jumps.
erock1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:58 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice

just out of curiosity, have you considered mini zs? i mean older (MR01) ones can be had around $50 used. Lots of options, 1/28 sized, very detailed etc.
RandomTask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:35 AM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kwikvdub

I race Mini-Z's on Sat. when I can't do any outdoor racing do to weather or when I don't have the cash to travel.

The place I go to is awesome and it touches up on your skill. You can never get enough of racing.

Check this place out and it's always crowded on Saturdays. ( Check out the photo Gallery ) http://www.actionrcspeedway.com/

Hope this helps. Good Luck with your Race program. ............... Whatever you choose, we all win!

TQRacing / 360 v2 RC Raceway / Team Downgrade Designs
Kwikvdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:17 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Exclamation

Thank you all for replying, however we as a club have already purchased and are racing the Carismas; we can't just dump them and throw away all that money and start over with a different car. The Carisma is a good car, the problem is parts support from Horizon. I/we need people to email Horizon and get on their case about this.
I have heard that Horizon does'nt keep enough of anything in stock for even the major brands as well. Sounds like a poorly run distributor if you ask me.
So PLEASE email Horizon!!
Old 05-27-2006, 10:35 AM   #12
Tech Master

have you tried pooling all your resources with the club members and ordering direct or from over seas? if horizon don't feel its worth the investment then they are not going to dump cash flow into dead stock. email the manufacture and ask for an overseas distributor, contact them and place one large order for all of your club. we sometimes do this for the tamiya stuff because its hard to find in western canada. just a thought, good luck
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:04 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Exclamation

kerry, we are working on that idea of dealing direct with the manufacturer. I am still waiting for a reply from them.
I will look into the idea of an overseas distributor as well.
Thank you for your help.
However, if Horizon as the US distributor is going to advertise the Carisma cars in the magazines and continue to offer them here, then they have a responsibilty to carry the full line, not just what they deem necessary.
I have to believe if all you racers out there were having problems getting Associated or Losi cars and parts from Horizon, you guys would be all over them about it! The same should be true no matter what the brand. If you offer it for sale, then you must support it!!!
Please email Horizon even if you don't have a Carisma car.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:43 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Exclamation

I just want to thank all that have replied so far to this thread. I sincerely hope that most of you will email Horizon Hobbies. Carisma is not a big name here in the USA, and you may think that this does not affect you personally, but remember if they offer poor service for one brand, what's to stop them from doing the same with other more mainstream, popular brands in the future! Your favorite car/brand could be next! Do you want someone else deciding for you what is worth selling, or do you want to have a say in the process? Think about it!
Old 05-31-2006, 05:59 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Exclamation

Please read my reply of May 29th!!! I believe it affects everybody who races rc cars.