R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   "Klutz" factor in RC driving (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/114934-klutz-factor-rc-driving.html)

imjonah 05-22-2006 09:55 AM

"Klutz" factor in RC driving

After another pathetic performance at the track this weekend;despite my my motor being fast, my battery strong, my car reliable, my car set up correctly, it may be more than just neeeding more practice to over come bad driving habits, it may be I am just a "Klutz"

It struck me, that maybe my bad driving could be improved, but only within the limits set by my own slow reaction time and poor hand eye coordination. I know I have some bad driving habits (taking my fingers off the steering wheel to let the spring recenter the wheel and poor throttle control;ex. entering hairpin turns two fast) which I know more practice would help; but that still leaves the slow reaction time and poor hand eye coordination. 20 mph=29ft a sec; being 1/30th of a second slow initiating a turn, theoretically puts you a foot beyond where you need to be.

Maybe if you could practice RC at home like you can practice free throws by putting a hoop on your garage, then one could eventually lessen the effects of slow reaction time and coordination to some degree; but the maintenance requirements of TC and the distance one often has to drive to find a suitable track to practice on, make this difficult.

Patriiick 05-22-2006 09:58 AM

www.virtualrc.Com

It s nowhere near what a real tc electric would be, but to get rid of bad habits such as the ones you describe, it will do wonders..

Ducati-Rider 05-22-2006 12:04 PM

One Klutz to Another

I can relate to your driving experiences.
Here's what I learned:

Just like golf - don't grip the wheel too tight
Get a faster servo - the best you can affort - It makes up for your slow responses
Adjust trim to about 60% of servo travel - usually have too much travel
Slow down, stay out of the throttle
Hang back at the start - let the pack go - 50% will crash in first lap
Focus on a lap without touching the boards or rails.

I really suck - but it's gotten better with some discipline.
Money buys speed - it doesn't buy good driving.

Jon Kerr 05-22-2006 12:54 PM

Not everyone has the skills of the pros. I sure as hell don't. If you're not destine to run in the top classes, there's nothing wrong with being content on racing in the intermediate or sportsman level classes. Just have fun. If you want to improve, the only thing will help is practice. That VirtualRC game probably would help considerably. Especially with the things you're talking about. Reaction time can be compensated for to an extent with more practice. Just go out and have fun and if you're destined to run sportsman classes, so be it.

joezjr 05-22-2006 12:56 PM

I like to charge as many packs as possible. Bring 3 chargers and a lot of batteries and have them going non stop. Get through about 15 to 20 packs in a row. You will be faster by at least a half a second per lap at the end of that

James35 05-22-2006 02:21 PM

You can monitor and improve your reaction times at my website here:
http://webwonderland.com/reaction/
Feel free to bookmark this, as I have had this link up for 10 years, and plan to keep it up so I can monitor my own reaction times as I grow older.

I also suggest playing computer games to help your hand-eye coordination. Foosball is also awesome for this.
Another tip to help:
When you have something in your left hand (for example), and need to get it in your right hand, don't just pass it over. Throw it over. The item will be in the air for only a few inches, but this will help you hand-eye coordination and reflexes.

POOKYT 05-22-2006 03:30 PM

Jonah--As for the hands off the wheel and click-i-ty thing. Get a buddy next tiem at the track with some electrical tape. hold your radio like you would normally do and have him lightly wrap the tap around your fingers to keep you from letting go of the wheel. After a few runs you will get more used to keeping contact with the wheel on your fingers than letting go. I know it sounds silly but it will work. I have cured several racers of this over the years.

Brant