R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Brushless motor maintenance (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/114735-brushless-motor-maintenance.html)

uniquexme 05-20-2006 08:48 PM

Brushless motor maintenance

guys, currently m running Tamiya Super stock motor TZ (23T) on my Yokomo Drift car. However, upon checking on the maintenance on brushed motor, it seems too much for me, not as easy as popping in the new set of brush, but to cut the comm, replace brush spring, reset timing...etc. so i was wondering if anyone here with brushless motor? it is as like Novak said VIRTUALLY MAINTANENCE FREE? would u need to open up the motor can itself? is there any parts that needs replacement?

here are some questions :
- would it be difficult to drift with brushless
- which series of Novak brushless 4.5R or 5.5R or that SS5800 is better?
- would brushless be able to outrun GP cars
- do we need to cool the motor as like brushed motor after each pack? or just continue to run like nitro
- other than Novak, is there any other brand?

thedudeaturdoor 05-20-2006 09:04 PM

the 4.5 is wayyy too much, but other than that, BL is the way to go, but u can allways turn down ur throtle input

i would say the 6.5, unless u plan on racing (grip)
and a BL 4.5R Would out run any other car, and be on the track longer, and most of the time the motor is super cool, we have run allmost allday on my Step-dads HV-MAXX (wich is 14. somehting volts) and there is Reedy, but they Neo 4 star is not as fast as the 4.5r

uniquexme 05-20-2006 09:15 PM

yeah, i m so tired of brushed motor, have to let them rest for a while b4 u pop in the next battery pack. i will consider that 6.5R then, but i have just changed my ESC to novak GTS. well need to sell it off 1st. :eek:

D_o_S 05-21-2006 01:18 AM

I think a good 6x1 or 7x2 would outrun a brushless...

You can drift no problemo with brushless AFAIK

I'd go for the 4.5, you can always adjust the EPA on you radio to make it go slower... if you get anything else, as soon as you see someone with a 4.5, you'll want it very badly... = more money spent.

Drewdc90 05-21-2006 01:39 AM

Well I was racing against a really good 7 turn last meeting and my 5.5 had no trouble keeping up with it. I wonder what my 4.5 would have been like.

NOOB-SMOKE 05-21-2006 02:48 AM

motors

I was wondering if i could run a lrp sphere competion speedy with a 4.5 novak motor. will it work fine or will it blow the speedy or motor.
Has any one tried it, whats everyone's thoughts.
CHEERS!! :)

burbs 05-21-2006 04:06 AM

if you want something a little closer to the 23t motor get the 4300.. All novak motors will work with any novak or lrp brushless speedo..The 4300 is aprox a 19 turn speed.. The maintinace is minimal.. occasionally you will have the replace a bearing, or a rotor.. Its as simple as opening the can and swapping the parts.. no com , no springs ect..

$ cell brushless oval is huge in the midwest.. Most guys have been running there motors for about a year with no maintinance.. ^ cell may be a little more ruff then 4 cell but still very minimal.. parts are also very cheap for replacing.. You can buy a 4300 setup with speedo for around 160 bucks online.. it comes with the ss speedo wich works just as well as any other, its just a bit larger..

AngryAsian 05-21-2006 04:16 AM

Definately try the 4300, 5800 or the 6.5

anything above it is WAAAAAAAy too much. Actually, i ran a5800 for dori for a long long time and it had more than enough power for any situation. In fact, with that much power, if you can balance your car well, and are have a heavy trigger finger then abs and pvc platic tires start to burn! .. they absolutely STINK!!..

to be honest, even the 6.5 is WAAAAy overkill.

I'm running a 5.5R now, and it' a bit too much for dori. YOu never get above 1/4 throttle so it's quite touchy to control. Get the lower models and you won't regret it...

thedudeaturdoor 05-21-2006 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by NOOB-SMOKE
I was wondering if i could run a lrp sphere competion speedy with a 4.5 novak motor. will it work fine or will it blow the speedy or motor.
Has any one tried it, whats everyone's thoughts.
CHEERS!! :)

i dont think the sensor plugs are the same, but its supposed to work, i would just get a NEO 4 Star, its like a 6 or 5 turn equ.

NOOB-SMOKE 05-21-2006 05:13 AM

motors

I have the lrp 4 star motor, is that the same as the neo reedy 4 star.
Also the plugs are the same from speedy to speedy.

JanisK 05-21-2006 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by thedudeaturdoor
i dont think the sensor plugs are the same, but its supposed to work, i would just get a NEO 4 Star, its like a 6 or 5 turn equ.

sensor plugs are exatcly the same for lrp/reedy and novak

RcCzarOfOld 05-21-2006 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by D_o_S
I think a good 6x1 or 7x2 would outrun a brushless...

I don't think that's quite true. On about a 150 foot straight, my 5.5R was motoring right past the nitro cars today. Another guy in the class was runnin a NEO 1 4 star and was doing the same thing. I think a 6 single or 7 single would have had a very hard time outdoing that type of performance. Plus, at the end of the heat, it was still exactly the same.

Tony

uniquexme 05-24-2006 04:31 AM

guys, may i ask how long can a 3600 or 3800 last per run on brushless? i heard that its about 5mins, is it true? i bet it is coz more speed needs more energy from the battery.

btw, now than i realise there is no way EP can outrun GP. in GP engine, u have those normal engine, which is around USD200+, but those that are tuned by some guy, like RBV12 Tuned Rody, its gonna cost about USD400, which is much more powerful and faster than the normal factory engine. so EP motor, pls dun go and chase nitro, pls, its embarrassed.

ickvanovs 05-24-2006 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by AngryAsian
Definately try the 4300, 5800 or the 6.5

anything above it is WAAAAAAAy too much. Actually, i ran a5800 for dori for a long long time and it had more than enough power for any situation. In fact, with that much power, if you can balance your car well, and are have a heavy trigger finger then abs and pvc platic tires start to burn! .. they absolutely STINK!!..

to be honest, even the 6.5 is WAAAAy overkill.

I'm running a 5.5R now, and it' a bit too much for dori. YOu never get above 1/4 throttle so it's quite touchy to control. Get the lower models and you won't regret it...

hmm i thought everyone just gonna buy the fastest available...

Got Xray? 05-24-2006 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by ickvanovs
hmm i thought everyone just gonna buy the fastest available...

yeah but hes talking about drifting,where more power is usually worse.