Wiki Posts
Search

Cleaning comm.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 05:57 AM
Tech Adept

Default Cleaning comm.

Hi,

recently, I blew a Nosram motor (well, it died on me). I have this cloth at home that I use to polish jewellery, can I use it to clean the commutator on motors too, or would that be a bad idea? After cleaning the Nosram motor with the cloth, the comm was all nice and shiny, all the black stuff went away.

TIA
Old 05-17-2006, 06:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You got rid of the dirt but you will eventually need to cut that comm. Did it look like there was a groove forming in the middle of the comm after you cleaned it?
Old 05-17-2006, 06:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Proper thing to do is to cut the com, replace the brushes and springs. If you dont' have a lathe take your com to the local race track or hobby store and I'm sure someone will cut it for you just ask around, it may cost you a small fee but most racers will do it for free. Get yourself some motor spray spray the whole thing clean, and re lube the berings/bushings with the proper oil. Hope this helps.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

recently, I blew a Nosram motor (well, it died on me). I have this cloth at home that I use to polish jewellery, can I use it to clean the commutator on motors too, or would that be a bad idea? After cleaning the Nosram motor with the cloth, the comm was all nice and shiny, all the black stuff went away.

you said you blew your motor ...?? or died on you..probably your brushes is already on its last life ...and time to change it and cut your comm.... i just run my motor for about 6-7 runs after that i lathe the comm... for better preformance...
Old 05-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D_o_S
Hi,

TIA
You need to make sure the comm is not groved - the purpose for cutting a comm is to make the suface, even and straight so the brush face can make complete and smooth contact with the comm surface. Good Luck
Old 05-17-2006, 10:48 AM
Tech Adept

Ok, you're not understanding me.

I know that cutting the comm is the only way to go, and my friend will do it for me.

The question is, can I use the towel to polish up the comm, or should I leave it? With the towel, I removed all the soot (or whatever it is), so instead of looking black, the comm looked orange/copper colour.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D_o_S
Ok, you're not understanding me.

I know that cutting the comm is the only way to go, and my friend will do it for me.

The question is, can I use the towel to polish up the comm, or should I leave it? With the towel, I removed all the soot (or whatever it is), so instead of looking black, the comm looked orange/copper colour.
Cleaning the comm will not make any real difference improvement on performance.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

I suppose you could, but if you're going to cut the com anyway, it will clean it automatically. If you are meaning you want to clean it with this between cuts, you'd probably be better off not. I'm not familiar with what you are using, but if it has any chemical in it, it probably will hinder performance.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

cleaning the comm is alright ..there is even a tool for that .. you can clean the comm once or twice... but if you feel your motor is already decreasing its speed then comm cleanning isnt the best way to do... for example... just got a new motor, run it 3 time, check the motor you saw that it has marks from the brushed so you clean it up with you polished but for the 6th and 7th run you can still clean it but if you feel like your car runs like it carries 1000 lbs of weight then its time to cut the comm... if your a racer.. you will always set an estimated run before cutting your comm or cleaning it....