R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-16-2006, 02:38 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Where to get receiver antenna wire?

Where to get receiver antenna wire.

I am wondering where to get receiver antenna wire. I know it must be out there but where. I just canít seem to find any. Please donít give me the ďany wire will workĒ. I am only looking for an exact replacement for the stock wire that comes on the receiver from the factory.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:46 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mark G

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinR

I am wondering where to get receiver antenna wire. I know it must be out there but where. I just canít seem to find any. Please donít give me the ďany wire will workĒ. I am only looking for an exact replacement for the stock wire that comes on the receiver from the factory.

Thanks for the help.

I would try to email your receiver company first. I think that would be you best bet.
Mark G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:57 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

try Tower Hobbies:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXERH8&P=7

or KO website
if you want the black antenna

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:08 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

to match up the wire you currently have you need to measure the thickness of the wire and the number of strands. The strand count isn't a big deal but if yo uwant exact then you can count it. THen go to your local electrical shop and tell them what you need. Its usually like 1mm circut board wire or something like that. I've replaced hundreds of receiver wires like that without a problem.
hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:04 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The futaba wire that is posted is what you want. I've replaced a few novak wires with the futaba stuff and it has worked well. You just need to cut the length of the wire the same as the original. I think the Novak wire was 17 inches.
Scrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinR

Thanks for the help.
Not sure of the receiver brand you're looking for, but I carry factory replacement KO leads, http://www.rcinfusion.com/ProductLis...?CategoryID=14 part way down the page.
Regards,
Rob
RC Infusion.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:33 AM   #7
Tech Addict

First you should try your LHS. If that doesn't work you should follow Hawkers dirctions.
You don't need to cut the wire to exact length, longer is better. The "receiver tuned by antenna wire length" myth is one of the oldest myths in the RC business, originally made up to prevent kids from cutting the antenna wire too short.
andsetinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:05 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

agreed on that myth, howver there is one that proves me wrong everytime!

Have you ever rewired the standard receiver on a HPI savage RTR?

If you are out on the length by + or - about 5mm, the stupid receiver hiccups all day long, no range, then massive range, all sorts of issues. The first few we did we sent back on warranty as we coudln't belive that it was the wire, but after about the 4th one I was experimenting, and if u matched the wire up per its exact length it seemed to be ok...*shrugs* go figure.
hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:41 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

If Charlie from Novak tells you to cut the wire to a specific length, there is good reason.

Last edited by Scrad; 05-17-2006 at 09:28 AM.
Scrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:43 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Err.....

i thought there was a decent scientific basis for having a certain length antenna. Is it not to tune in to the best length you can find to match with the wavelength of the particular frequency that you're running at?..

Actually, as far as i'm aware.. there is alot of complex stuff that goes into antenna design. Length is one of the most important factors!!

Antennas a la wikipedia!
AngryAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:26 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryAsian
Err.....

i thought there was a decent scientific basis for having a certain length antenna. Is it not to tune in to the best length you can find to match with the wavelength of the particular frequency that you're running at?..

Actually, as far as i'm aware.. there is alot of complex stuff that goes into antenna design. Length is one of the most important factors!!

Antennas a la wikipedia!
Of course I could be wrong but please explain to me :
Why do 27 MHz and 75 MHz receivers have the same length of antenna wire? They shouldn't if they were tuned to frequency by length. At 75 MHz, the length of the radio wave is 4 meters, at 27 MHz its 11.11 meters. Both are way longer than the antenna wire in our receivers.
Why do the airplane guys double up the antenna wire (buy replacement antenna wire and solder it to the end of existing one) to get extra range?

Antenna length does matter. But it's just one very small part of the whole radio "thingy" , signal to noise ratio and signal amplification are more important. Receivers are built differently from one another. What holds true for one doesn't for the next manufacturer.

Last edited by andsetinn; 05-18-2006 at 03:40 AM.
andsetinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:54 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

JR sell pelacement wire as well its balck in color used it once on my Novak switch receiver never had a problem
josh short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:18 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The antenna design must make use of the frequencies wavelength. Yup. that's correct.

However, no-one actually uses a wavelength long antenna as it would be huge, so we use a multiple of the wavelength. Eg. 1/8, 1/16 of the length etc.. That's why rc antenna are short.

To makes things more complicated, depending on the reciever design, it may have a booster circuit in it to help with gaining reception to the intended wavelength. So you might have two recievers with antenna length x, but different frequencies.. One has a booster, one does not.

To further complicate things, you need to match the impedance and gain of the antenna for its intended use. Also, the orientation of the dipole/dipoles...As for length again, i think the length of the antenna is a multiple of the wavelength minus a little.. can't remember the technical reason why...

So. it's not a simple case of any antenna will do. Unless you have an intimate knowledge of the circuit design it's best to stick with the manufacturers length.

I won't pretend to actually understand the technical aspects behind antenna design.. but it's not as simple as it first looks. Otherwise all recievers would theoretically work the same.

But experience tells us that the nice high end FM rx does perform much better than the entry level unit.
AngryAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:06 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thanks for help guys. The Tower Hobbies link was just what I was looking for.

Feel free to continue discussion.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:15 AM   #15
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

if you want black/gray antenna wire
you can order them from the KO website

82136 Antenna Lead Gray for 75MHz Receiver $2.00
Repalcement gray antenna for 75MHz receivers.

82132 Antenna Lead Black for 27MHz Receiver $2.00
Replacement black antenna for 27MHz receivers.

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote