R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-15-2006, 02:14 PM   #1
JL
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Motor Fan Interference

Guys,

I've been running a fan on my motor fan for a while now and it's been great except that it seems to be causing a glitch all of a sudden. The only change that I have made to my whole set up is that I now use an atlas (blue can) 19t motor rather than a reedy quad mag and IB3800s rather than GP3300s.

I've tried putting a cap into the receiver, an extra schottky on the motor, changing motor capacitors, moving wires and electrics around with no effect whatsoever. The glitch only occurs on a couple of points on the track. 1 spot is just as I get full steering lock on a big banking whilst going full throttle and the other spot is where I'm flicking the wheel left to right under fairly smooth neutral power. It's not the stuttery kinda interference but more like a sudden 1 off full lock to the opposite direction with full power off the track kinda twitch!

I removed the motor fan - glitch completely gone.

I would really like to run the fan again but has anyone had this problem and found a solution?

My gear?
Tc3
KO2343 servo
Airtronics/Sanwa RX311 (40mhz FM)
Novak GTX
Much More 30mm 5v fan running directly off the batteries
Airtronics/Sanwa M11

The fan is mounted on a Reedy style heatsink, ie heatsink over the motor can and the fan sticking out so that it's over the endbell.

I'd appreciate any insights.

Thanks,
Jason
JL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:23 PM   #2
JL
Tech Adept

... whoops, forgot to mention. I also run a PT off the receiver.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:04 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

How close is your fan mounted to the transponder? Wires touching other wires can cause strange things to happen.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:14 PM   #4
Tech Master

Are you running a Cool-Can-Fan. I don't think they will cause any glitching, you might want to try them out.
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
Tech Adept

sometimes interference happens when metal parts tough eauch other. dontask mywhy but it just is. try touching a metal part onyour chassis with a metal screwdriver your holding in your hand.
the same thing could behappening with your fan continiously touching your motor casued by vibrations fromyour motor or sudden changes you make with your car, like the ones you stated... you could try mounting it more Firmly to your motor to be sure its fixed. i know most cooling ribs fit perfectly onto your motor but with a slightly damaged motorsticker it could be just be the weak link...
for the same reason I've seen people putting their lead balance wieghts in shrinkwrap before they mount it with double sided tape, actually strange cause the tape isolates both from toughing yet they still do.

try mouning your ribs firmly with glastape

Mark

Last edited by Markiempje; 10-21-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Markiempje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:53 PM   #6
Tech Addict

I had glitching problems on my cooling fan until I put a cap on the power leads of the fan at the receiver. Then, no trouble at all.
cbrfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:14 AM   #7
JL
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
How close is your fan mounted to the transponder? Wires touching other wires can cause strange things to happen.
Thanks for the reply Jon,

My PT is on my from bumper, the motor fan is mounted on a heatsink with the fan over the endbell of my tc3, so in other words pretty much opposite ends of the car. As far as wires touching wires everything is away from the receiver and I've got a capacitor on the receiver anyway.

The best guess that I can come up with is that there's some sort of voltage spike. Perhaps putting some sort of capacitor/diode across the fan wires would help? It's just a coiled motor that powers the fan right?
Old 05-16-2006, 11:39 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

They're usually small simple brushless motors in the fans. I had a similar glitch a few weeks ago and it ended up being that the PT wire was able to move a little as the car cornered. When the car was on a hard right hand turn, the PT wire would hit the antenna and the car would glitch. I re routed the wire away from the antenna and no more glitch. SO maybe the fan wires are moving and hitting something.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:40 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The Atlas blue can motor needs to have caps soldered onto it, did you overlook this?
Old 05-16-2006, 12:47 PM   #10
Tech Adept

The banked sweeper going onto the straight is common for glitches at Stonehaven, Whether its high current draw as you push left thumb full????? next time i am up give me a shout and i,ll have a look at car and gear.

Cheers Bryan
Bryan D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:49 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Glitch caused a crash

I had the same problem, coming out of a sweeper into the straight at full speed and the car just went straight into the gutter, smashing my left front suspension clean off, pissed me off as I had the same glitch at a different track the weekend before - I took the fan off my Orion and the glitch is gone! what a pain in the ass!
junn is offline   Reply With Quote