R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-09-2008, 10:51 AM   #316
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The CRC front end and the Ae front end feel pretty much the same after you do setup changes to both form what I've found. The ackerman setup of the crc front end is different than the AE front end, so you pretty much need to run the angled servo mounts. The upper arm on the crc front end is also shorter than AE's, and they also make the REALLY long one too... So There are some differences. Dampening setup is a lot different as the tolerence of the front kingpin is not as tight as associated. Just a lot of little stuff
Old 01-09-2008, 11:44 AM   #317
Tech Adept

Larry no problem.....
3rd-dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:01 AM   #318
Tech Adept

Korey-

Thanks for the review on CRC vs AE front ends. Very informative, and sounds what like Jason found as well. Jeff only runs carpet about 3-4 times a year (no permanent carpet track in Florida), so practice/testing time for him is VERY limited. Need to pick others brains to keep up!
Larry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:06 AM   #319
Tech Lord

Is jeff coming out to minnreg this weekend larry? If so i will see if cheston can bring his front end for you to look at.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:36 AM   #320
Tech Adept

Jason-

No, he's got to cover at the shop while one or 2 others go to Minnreg. Thanks anyway, Jason. I'd like to see it at the Birds, though.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:41 AM   #321
Tech Lord

cool
J Concepts
Old 01-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #322
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
Not on our new car. We did testing between both of our cars with identicle setups and i think the CRC front end likes to run with the servo on the angled mounts more than running it flat. It seemed to have a push to it compared to the AE setup. The push wasnt there when the CRC front end ran with the servo on the angled mounts.
Is it possible that moving weight higher in the car (servo angled up, not flat) caused more front end roll, and increased steering?

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #323
Tech Lord

That would be my thought but we found that the AE front end had more steering when running the servo flat. I am thinking that there is too much ackerman loss with the shorter turnbuckle and ballstud locations when running it flat. I havent really gone over it and did a close check on the differences yet though. I will take some measurements so i can see exactly what the difference is. As of now i just think it may be the turnbuckle angle and length difference.
J Concepts
Old 01-10-2008, 03:39 PM   #324
Tech Adept

Quote:
Is it possible that moving weight higher in the car (servo angled up, not flat) caused more front end roll, and increased steering?
Bob, I've been reading your threads with great interest. All the back-to-back testing is amazing. With all your testing, do you run the AE front end with the servo flat?

Also, back when Jeff was running stock weekly in the early '90's, we found that lap #11 (about 2 minutes in) was about the fastest. I suspect it is about the same today. Obviously this is in reference to the teaser in one of your threads.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #325
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Brown View Post
Bob, I've been reading your threads with great interest. All the back-to-back testing is amazing. With all your testing, do you run the AE front end with the servo flat?

Also, back when Jeff was running stock weekly in the early '90's, we found that lap #11 (about 2 minutes in) was about the fastest. I suspect it is about the same today. Obviously this is in reference to the teaser in one of your threads.
All servos mounted flat, and shoe goo'd solid. No chance of movement. I've been using the CRC front end on 3 of my Flexi's and the Gen-x stuff, and the stock front end on the Sp12x.

I'd like to try the AE front again. I've got a few built. Just need time. Doesn't it also slightly widen the car? I'm for that, but I like how the CRC front end keeps the tires outta the lexan. I don't always get the body mounted dead on. Nice to have mm or two of play. And for those occasions you scuff the outside wall on a straight, it's nice to know the body hits before the wheel nuts or tire edge grab.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:04 PM   #326
Tech Elite

Quote:
we found that lap #11 (about 2 minutes in) was about the fastest. I suspect it is about the same today. Obviously this is in reference to the teaser in one of your threads.
For me, I'm happiest when I see the fast lap follow the voltage curve. Say about 3-4 laps in. I think it means more of the package is right, right off the start, as long as it drops correctly as the race progresses. seems, mostly though, for me, it's about lap 7-8. But I'm not as vigilant as need be with damp tires and an average job of wiping them down. I know they'll come in, in a few laps, and The result of fast 20 will not be skewed. does change where the fast lap hits though.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:13 PM   #327
Tech Adept

Bob-

On the 11th lap thing, I used to chalk it up to tire temps/traction, motor HP and battery temp. hitting a sweet spot. Those were black batteries, of course. It would be very interesting to see a voltage curve from an actual run where loads vary a number of times each lap.

You mentioned that you ran the "stock" front end on the Sp12x. Is that the aluminum arm front and, if so, how does it run on carpet? Jeff's first race with the car was Cleveland, and he did not have time to try to dial it in. He went with what he knew from past cars, the AE style. Drew and Toso also ran the AE style front end in Cleveland.

Don't know about the width issue. Maybe tighten up on your body mounting tolerances?
Old 01-10-2008, 05:53 PM   #328
Tech Elite

Honestly, I like the aluminum front end on carpet. Not because it may or may not be the hot ticket, I like the uniqueness of it. Watch the bridge, or mount, it's weak and will bend when you decide to test it's durability.

I tended to restrict the movement of the front end a lot. so I limit droop and up travel, so that the arm moves 1 to 1.25mm total. I got rid of the dampers too. just the spring. I also liked playing with the ackerman on that car, you could feel the differences.

It's the "old school" in me that still digs on Corally. And I like that crud isn't getting into my thrust bearing, and can be on the track practicing and simply swap tires side to side, without tools, I can change front springs with my fingers. Lotta pluses.

Evan, another racer that works here made his own chassis using 12L4 battery trays so he could move the pack front to back. I thought that was good a good idea.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:18 PM   #329
Tech Elite

Quote:
Don't know about the width issue. Maybe tighten up on your body mounting tolerances?
You'd think that would be easy.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:20 PM   #330
oze
Tech Adept

Default axle spacers

Hi guys,
i am looking for spacers for my 12X with US wheels. Currently the rear wheels are 166 mm wide and I want to make it 172. Also, on the front, I want to make it wider (I have the Asso type conversion set on). Is Corally selling these spacers shims? What are the part numbers? Thx.
oze is offline   Reply With Quote