R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-18-2007, 03:21 AM   #256
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

[QUOTE=NitroHead;3983625]Question:

Is there some ritual to follow when mounting the rear tires???
Diff side tire is ok... other side... wobbly..

diff side is bad for me anyone have an answer
lavaandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:45 AM   #257
Tech Master

I have the same problem, albeit with a differant car. It seems that the 'triangular' type of clamping hubs do make the wheel wobble alittle. The CRC 'round' type has always been great, no probs with the wheel at all. The only thing I do is to take the pinion off, do the three wheel bolts up, spin the wheel and then adjust the tension of the bolts to make the wheel sit as true as possible. When you are done, don't forget to put the pinion back on though!! All the best, Chris.
wingman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:38 AM   #258
Tech Adept

Something else to watch for, too. I believe some of the first kits came with button head wheel mounting screws. The head was just a little too big in diameter to properly fit at least some U.S. style wheels. The kits now come with cap screws with smaller head diameter.

Also be sure the mounting screws do not extend through the diff side hub. The instructions for the kit mention this as a possibility on some wheel styles. You may have to shorten the screws slightly (or use shims if you can find the right size).
Larry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:21 AM   #259
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman2 View Post
I have the same problem, albeit with a differant car. It seems that the 'triangular' type of clamping hubs do make the wheel wobble alittle. The CRC 'round' type has always been great, no probs with the wheel at all. The only thing I do is to take the pinion off, do the three wheel bolts up, spin the wheel and then adjust the tension of the bolts to make the wheel sit as true as possible. When you are done, don't forget to put the pinion back on though!! All the best, Chris.
Thanks for your input Wingman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Brown View Post
Something else to watch for, too. I believe some of the first kits came with button head wheel mounting screws. The head was just a little too big in diameter to properly fit at least some U.S. style wheels. The kits now come with cap screws with smaller head diameter.

Also be sure the mounting screws do not extend through the diff side hub. The instructions for the kit mention this as a possibility on some wheel styles. You may have to shorten the screws slightly (or use shims if you can find the right size).
Great Larry, that must be the problem, I do have one of the first kits released.

Now where do I get the Ti mounting screws?
Old 12-18-2007, 08:56 AM   #260
Tech Adept

NitroHead-

The kit wheel screws are steel, I believe. At least ours were. You can call Jeff Brown at CorallyUSA to see if they have any in stock. The size you need is 2.5mm x 6mm, socket head cap screws.

If they don't have them, try www.fastenerexpress.com.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:59 AM   #261
Tech Adept

Oops, wrong url. Try www.fastener-express.com.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #262
Tech Adept

Hi Guys,

perhaps someone can help me.

Im driving a 12X and i want to know, if the CRC Pro Strut Front end and the Dura-Shock from the Gen-X fits on the Corally?.

And another Prob. My diffnut is loosing after some runs. Ive tried to assemple it with a littlebit of superglue on the threaded shaft, but this wont work for a long time.
Does anybody used a alloy nut instead the carbon one what is in the kit?
Any ideas?

Mike
3rd-dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:50 AM   #263
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

Guys, there are at least 2 different versions of the hubs. The early ones use M3 screws and have titanium screws which have been modified fairly heavily (both of mine are this type). The later ones use 2.5mm steel screws.

The problem is that 3mm is basically the size of the holes, so the holes need to be in exactly the correct position. Parma and GRP/TRC are fine. However, Jaco's are off, so they don't fit. You might get away with opening up the holes in the wheels to say 3.5mm, i'm not sure though. Now with them being smaller, the hole being off is ok - same as it is on US cars - 4-40 is basically 2.5mm.

There are also at least 2 different US spec axles. Newer ones have more offset between the bearings and the back of the diff. Some cars came with a spacer on there that was removable, and early kits like mine came with nothing.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:37 PM   #264
Tech Adept

MattW-

Thanks for the info, it's more complicated than I thought. Guess NitroHead should verify what he has first.

3rd-dan-

From the little I've read the CRC front end should bolt right on. I KNOW the Assoc. front end does. Dura-shock should fit as well, maybe with a little adjustment of the ballcup length. The IRS shock does fit.

For your diff nut question, I can tell you that the newer kits in the U.S. have a delrin or other tough plastic nut, not the carbon nut. Maybe you can get one of those? I still used CA on the threads to keep it tight. No issues in 7 days of practice and racing.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:44 PM   #265
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The CRC Front end fits, I've been messing around with one recently. So far wth good results. The Dura Shock fits as well, but I still prefer the Hot bodies shock... BUUUUUTTTER smooth. The stock shock is great too, I never had any problems with it, just a little harder to maintain.

-Korey
Old 12-18-2007, 09:22 PM   #266
Tech Fanatic

OK...

Found an old set of parmas and a set of crc pro cuts.

Parmas fit perfect, CRC's slightly off but they fit.

I'm also using the CRC Pro Strut front end. Lets see how it goes.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:06 PM   #267
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey Harbke View Post
The CRC Front end fits, I've been messing around with one recently. So far wth good results. The Dura Shock fits as well, but I still prefer the Hot bodies shock... BUUUUUTTTER smooth. The stock shock is great too, I never had any problems with it, just a little harder to maintain.

-Korey

Did you change any thing in oil when you changed between the Dura Shock to the Hot Bodies shock? Thanks Korey.
Johnny Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:07 AM   #268
Tech Champion

Nah, oil is the same. I did have to shorten the shock some by cutting the shaft though.

-Korey
Old 12-19-2007, 09:52 AM   #269
Tech Adept

@ all
thanks for the answers.
I think i will get one of the CRC Front End and i will test the Dura-Shock. My cousin bought the GenX yesterday. first i will "borrow" the parts from him to test it.
@LarryBrown.
I will look for those delrin nut.
3rd-dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:51 AM   #270
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd-dan View Post
@ all
thanks for the answers.
I think i will get one of the CRC Front End and i will test the Dura-Shock. My cousin bought the GenX yesterday. first i will "borrow" the parts from him to test it.
@LarryBrown.
I will look for those delrin nut.
Hahaha... I like that... "borrow" hehehe.