R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Club needs help with track design (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/11377-club-needs-help-track-design.html)

Evoracer 01-02-2003 08:37 AM

Club needs help with track design
 
Anybody out there good with track layout ??? Our new club has 2000 ft of 2 inch PVC, (26)90 degree elbows and (14)45 degree elbows. We'd like to have a fairly technical track with 1 good straight for overtaking. For those who know Formula 1, We were thinking about copying the design of the Catalunya track in Spain(Spanish Grand Prix). Before we start cutting, we thought we would enlist the help of somebody who's done it before so we could properly measure things up. Our parking lot is 57ft x 100 ft. Appreciate any help. Thanks, Armando

popsracer 01-02-2003 08:47 AM

Appreciate any help.
 
rcpigz;

Just be carefull with the coupling edges. If they are not smoothed in the direction of travel, they will tear off suspension parts if brushed against. I've seem people use heatguns and torches to radius the PVC to make better looking corners.

Send us a pic when you guys get it finished.

dotjumper 01-02-2003 09:51 AM

Track Info
 
Check out our website www.seidkracing.com We have switched to 2x4's now. We ran 2" pipe for 4 yrs. We held them together with a coupling and a nail on each end of the coupling dropped down through the pipes to be held together, we ground the edges of the couplings so that there was not a rough edge there for the cars to hit. We kept the pipes all 10ft. our track was 185 ft. X 80ft. wide I could get you some layouts on paper they are drawn to scale on grid paper. Let me know for more info. Thanks Eric.B seidkracing

trackdesigner71 01-02-2003 10:32 AM

Re: Club needs help with track design
 

Originally posted by rcpigz
Anybody out there good with track layout ??? Our new club has 2000 ft of 2 inch PVC, (26)90 degree elbows and (14)45 degree elbows. We'd like to have a fairly technical track with 1 good straight for overtaking. For those who know Formula 1, We were thinking about copying the design of the Catalunya track in Spain(Spanish Grand Prix). Before we start cutting, we thought we would enlist the help of somebody who's done it before so we could properly measure things up. Our parking lot is 57ft x 100 ft. Appreciate any help. Thanks, Armando
Is Catalunya the one in Barcelona, because I could whip that up for ya

IMPACTPLAYR 01-02-2003 10:33 AM

The mainthing to remember is to plan the layout as a grid, so that each component fits into a sigle block, so that when laying out the PVC on raceday you don't have to measure and cut while people are waiting impaciently to practice.....

Evoracer 01-02-2003 11:30 AM

Hey TD,
tried to PM you but your mail box is full. Got your messages, Get back to me when you can.

Keep those ideas coming guy's, I'm writing em' down as fast as i can. But I won't whine about it like that Popsracer guy does !!! :ha: :ha: :sneaky:

Is everybody using those metal corner dots?? I can't remember what the official name is....uh,oh,a Popsracer moment!! Where can i get those ?? Does anybody think the plastic ones like "roadomes" or tamiya's will be ok ??

Tres 01-02-2003 01:04 PM

The metal disk are "Plow Disk"

any tractor supply type of place should have them.....

trackdesigner71 01-02-2003 02:26 PM

Hey rcpigz, if you wanna try and PM me go ahead

trackdesigner71 01-02-2003 02:27 PM


Originally posted by rcpigz
Hey TD,
tried to PM you but your mail box is full. Got your messages, Get back to me when you can.

Keep those ideas coming guy's, I'm writing em' down as fast as i can. But I won't whine about it like that Popsracer guy does !!! :ha: :ha: :sneaky:

Is everybody using those metal corner dots?? I can't remember what the official name is....uh,oh,a Popsracer moment!! Where can i get those ?? Does anybody think the plastic ones like "roadomes" or tamiya's will be ok ??

BTW Road Domes are better

BigDogRacing 01-02-2003 02:34 PM

Look here: MSRA club website if you want to see the best way to connect the PVC pipe that I have ever seen.

You basically use a smaller diameter pipe to make a sleeve, with a larger piece in the middle screwed to the smaller one. Then you slip the pipes over the sleeved part and connect them with rubber bungee straps. It makes a seamless connection and the track becomes one large assembly because the straps hold everything together snug.

If you don't understand from the pics or video, PM me and I'll tell you how we did it.

Cyclonus 01-02-2003 03:33 PM

If you want an easy way to smooth the couplings, just buy some sheets of rubber and connect it to the pvc on either end of the coupling. It might be easier if you are gonna be using a large number of couplings than sanding each smooth.

bubbaicm 01-02-2003 03:48 PM

just cut a small peice of pipe w/outside dia. the same as your pipes inside dia. a couple of screws on eather side seamless conections for your track .to remove just take screws out of 1 side make the insert long enough u might get away with puting screws in one side,and slideing on the other side for a friction fit:D

bubbaicm 01-02-2003 03:50 PM


Originally posted by BigDogRacing
Look here: MSRA club website if you want to see the best way to connect the PVC pipe that I have ever seen.

You basically use a smaller diameter pipe to make a sleeve, with a larger piece in the middle screwed to the smaller one. Then you slip the pipes over the sleeved part and connect them with rubber bungee straps. It makes a seamless connection and the track becomes one large assembly because the straps hold everything together snug.

If you don't understand from the pics or video, PM me and I'll tell you how we did it.

what do the bungeee cord s conect to:confused:NEVER MIND:blush: I see said the blind man. looks like the way to go on a parking lot race. we use the dot method of track lay outs.I hate dots!!!!!!!! all those dots flying by your eyes start watering and bluring and don't hit one or your in the bushes:flaming: :ha:

bubbaicm 01-02-2003 04:22 PM

Re: Re: Club needs help with track design
 

Originally posted by trackdesigner71
Is Catalunya the one in Barcelona, because I could whip that up for ya
where do u race your local track?? p-town lynburg?

Evoracer 01-02-2003 08:12 PM

Yeh, But at your age a headache is the least of your worries !!:weird: :D :ha:


All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:09 PM.

Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.3.6
Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net