R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-14-2003, 08:46 PM   #46
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

If you want a challenge here is the (ahem) Circuit de la Comunitat Valencia Ricardo Tormo: http://www.circuitvalencia.com/isum/...ib53iJBthwcWbC
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 11:01 PM   #47
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Challenge???? that would be fast and flowing for RC....LOL

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 11:37 PM   #48
ruf
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ruf

I designed a 3D Mini-Z track with the following elements once:

1) Spa: Eau Rouge
2) Nurburgring: Karrussel
3) Monaco: tunnel

You are totally right. The trick with layouts is to be technical enough to keep the fast guys interested, but easy enough to not intimidate the newbies. Breakage is always a concern as well as the ability to accomodate mod while not being a cakewalk in stock. I personally try to use up all the dead space possible and also create as many passing spots as I can. I would love to have the luxury of a real infield like the Tamiya track! Anyways, we usually mix up an easy track with a hard track alternating to keep people honest. Every layout has a purpose and I'll explain as I go.

Here is my version of the Circuit de Catalunya. Read my earlier post if you want to see my thinking in certain spots.

Here is the original layout I designed for the ROAR Region 3 championships. I wanted to keep everything free-flowing to accomodate mod and challenge the stock guys to maintain their momentum. The central lollipop is a great turn and in a great spot for visilibility. I always try to get a track to have a good "rhythm". It has to feel good to me to drive it in my head as I'm scribbling it down. You can see the adjustments made to tighten things up or open it out a little more. Same thing while we're actually constructing the track, constant adjustment.

Here are the adjustments I made to the layout after some consultation. To avoid first corner pileups in a competitive race like the Regionals, I changed the right side of the track to have a sweeper before the lap counter (on the lower right). IFMAR starts help during qualifying, but a 10-car main can get really ugly as past history has shown us. BTW, ROAR rules state a 10ft minimum lane width. I usually try to stick to this regardless. The lower left and right corners are 12ft away from the baseline of the track in an attempt improve visibility on the stand (radio "fishing"). We switched the layout back to the original idea after a while during club racing.

Now here is a more technical layout that we ran after the Regionals. I'm pinching the track down to 8ft in some areas but they are in places where you typically don't run that wide like mid/low speed exits. We usually have packs charging while we are changing the layout so we can really feel how it drives. The track is green and the groove hasn't built up yet, but you can still get a decent impression of what needs to be changed. The chicane on the lower left took us quite a while to redesign. It was just too intimidating and dangerous. Adding some curves and angles made it much more manageable. It was still a tricky section to drive. The interior chicane was an excellent passing spot. Carry your speed through and sneak under in the double-apex left. The smaller layout is something we're playing around with for our next layout.

Here is the layout that we are currently running. We are in the midst of a "non-Stratus" points series spanning 5 weeks. The cool thing (aside from seeing the different bodies on the track) is that we are running GT1(19T) and GT2(stock) classes together on the track at the same time. Qualifying heats are set by "skill level" to try to alleviate some of the traffic problems. The point was to add some variety along with teaching racers to drive in heavy traffic courteously. Letting faster drivers through ("run your own race, etc.") and clean passes are heavily encouraged. Needless to say, there's LOTS of passing and the track is designed to accomodate that. Passing 19T with a stock motor is lots of fun, but you have to be careful where you do it. Lotus ROCKS! Get a clean run through the chicane and you'll get a good jump on someone in the straight. The only trouble spot is the left-hander in the center of the track that can kick you out on to the straightaway. It's happened twice but its an odd occurrence.

Last edited by ruf; 01-14-2003 at 11:44 PM.
ruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 12:01 AM   #49
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to imataquito Send a message via Yahoo to imataquito

now ..... why cant i find my track design .....
its a multi design track which means u can open up one place and place a baricade on another to change its layout ...
it can either be super technical( motor burning tire shreadding hairpin madness track ) or a smooth flowing track or a mix of both ... guess i lost the pic ....

hehehe sorry guys
imataquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 01:46 AM   #50
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to imataquito Send a message via Yahoo to imataquito

spent some time ( 5mins hehe - lazy bum) sketching out a track .... well it looks ugly but thats catalunya- spain cramped like a sandwitch hehhhheheheheheh

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dcp_0782.jpg (45.0 KB, 119 views)
imataquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 06:45 AM   #51
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

IMHO any track like Cataluya will be a parts breaker. That chicane at the end of a straight is gonna punt cars. Don't get me wrong, I like a challenge, but some people do not. I agree with Ruf, somekinda sweeper for the first corner, pile ups are no fun, especially for a new club, with a bunch of people that just started to race togther.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 07:26 AM   #52
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Go to www.motogp.com and click on circuits and youll find some FINE courses to scale down. Other good places to go are:

Australian V8 Supercars Click on Circuits and follow the links

Formula 1 Official Site again follow the links

If you guys are looking for any other sites to check out LMK
Old 01-15-2003, 07:52 AM   #53
Tech Elite

BJ- I admire your enthusiasm for the supercar tracks, really I do, however does every on ein your club share the same feelings??

The layouts RUF posted are what real RC tracks are supposed to look like, try desiging tracks with all of the elements so you can get a feel for how they work together, when you all build the track drive on them and see how they work together. Then after you get good at designing your own tracks try modelling your tracks after supercar track compacted down.......

Notice Ruf's designs, very minimal dead zones.........

TRy designing your own origional track and you will see what I mean, use these elements (they all don't have to be on one track)

Long straight
Short straight
large sweeper
inside sweeper(usually on the inside of a large sweeper)
1/2 sweeper
open chicane
tight chicane
hard 90
wide 90
loose switchback
tight switchback
wide 45
loose 45

Old 01-15-2003, 01:39 PM   #54
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by IMPACTPLAYR
BJ- I admire your enthusiasm for the supercar tracks, really I do, however does every on ein your club share the same feelings??

The layouts RUF posted are what real RC tracks are supposed to look like, try desiging tracks with all of the elements so you can get a feel for how they work together, when you all build the track drive on them and see how they work together. Then after you get good at designing your own tracks try modelling your tracks after supercar track compacted down.......

Notice Ruf's designs, very minimal dead zones.........

TRy designing your own origional track and you will see what I mean, use these elements (they all don't have to be on one track)

Long straight
Short straight
large sweeper
inside sweeper(usually on the inside of a large sweeper)
1/2 sweeper
open chicane
tight chicane
hard 90
wide 90
loose switchback
tight switchback
wide 45
loose 45
I tend to make original designs, actually. I have a bunch of em in another thread (the link for which I can grab and then post up here). You might like em

Edit: Here is the link in question: http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...&pagenumber=91

Last edited by trackdesigner71; 01-15-2003 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:31 PM   #55
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

WOW, I never thought this thread would generate so much interest !! Clearly we have some talented designers in this sport.For me and my club the time is soon at hand to decide what type of track we'll use. Our PVC is due for delivery this Friday....By next week we'll be cutting pipes. In an effort to narrow things down...i thought I might remind everyone what type of materials we have and what our basic goals are.
1. 2000ft of 2inch white PVC pipe
2. 45degree and 90 degree elbow connectors
3. planning on using metal plow discs for corner dots
4. We plan on running 1/10 touring cars, F1, Tamiya mini's, off-road buggy's/trucks(using portable ramps), Monster truck obstacle course(portable obstacles) and mini-z. All electric.
5. We would like to be able to change the track layout on a regular basis and obviously be able to make quick changes to suit the mini-z/micro cars

We don't have the ability yet to make complex curves.The track area is 57feet wide x 100feet long. We can make it longer but not wider. The drivers stand is seperated from the track area so no special track design needs.
I got a great suggestion regarding the use of flexible pvc...Thanks Spooky....I did find some so we might make use of it.But for now we only have the straight sections of pipe.
Obviously we'll be able to do more when money allows. Thanks again for all your help!!
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 04:03 PM   #56
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

The only thing I would add to the designs above is that RCP has a limited number of available parts - 45deg and 90deg joints, etc.

It makes his life easier to design a track around those types of parts, ie. only use 45 and 90deg bends.

Also it makes his life easier to design the track around pre-fabbed 8 or 10 foot sections. These make good lane widths, and they make putting everything together easier, like using TinkerToys - they can cut the pipes at 8'2" (or 10'2") for the overlap.

Lane widths for ROAR are 10' asphalt and 8' pavement, but they aren't hard and fast - and if you aren't going to run a sanctioned race 8 foot lanes work well - that's about all the room we have at SoCal Raceway, and half the time the guy who makes the track pops a bunch of 6' lanes in there as well. . .

But keeping the pipes a standard length makes his job easier, designing the track around those lengths makes it just that much nicer.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 04:25 PM   #57
ruf
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ruf

We use this black plastic curved piping. It naturally coils up to about 4' diameter and the outer diameter of it just fits inside a regular 2" PVC pipe. It's great for impacts because it flexes well. All the rest of our lengths are standard 8' or 10' unless something special is required. We also have wooden triangles and curves and circles with foam tape on the bottom to help reinforce and anchor sections of the track down.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:25 PM   #58
Tech Elite

Look at your list of supplies

Metal plow disks can be used to make complexed corners and smooth sweepers!!! I have a video from 1994 featuring the 1/12th world championships, and they use disks for a small sweeper....... it was awesome!!!! Wish I could remember the the track they where at!!!!!

Old 01-17-2003, 12:32 AM   #59
Tech Elite

Look at this track!! You guys should model yours after it!!!!

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...threadid=10149

Old 01-17-2003, 11:13 AM   #60
Tech Elite

For Boomer's sake here is one I just whipped up
Attached Images
File Type: bmp track 9.bmp (50.4 KB, 111 views)