R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-02-2003, 09:19 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Default rcpigz;

If I remember correctly, YOU are not that far away in age. But at My age the memory is the first to go. Maybe that's why I'm so grumpy ?

Really, I would like to see some pics or your track when you guys get done with it. I can up some of ours if your interested.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 09:44 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Just a note guy's. I made a couple of jokes directed at Popsracer and I just want to clarify that I have nothing against him what so ever. The jokes were meant to be funny but apparently were taken as insulting toward him. My apologies. Popsracer has offered his advice on a number of questions and I value that advice. Sorry to all.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 10:07 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

I just finished drawing up Circuit de Catalunya on a grid. The grid is 30x17. You can translate that appropriately to your intended track size rcpigz.
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 10:15 PM   #19
Tech Elite

TD,
Cool !! So now what?? I've never translated something from paper to real life.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:47 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Hey Folks,
I kinda touched on this but I need more info.......Corner dots !!
I've only be exposed to the metal "plow discs" and they obviously work. But i just went to the tractor supply store and they want about 7-8 bucks a piece. We need a few of them. Does anybody have any experience with the plastic ones?? I looked at roaddomes website but they really don't describe their "non skid" design . Are they and all the plastic ones useless?? Does everybody buy there plow discs new or do you find used ones ? This isn't exactly farm country....Anybody have some they want to sell cheap ?? Thanks
Old 01-03-2003, 09:02 AM   #21
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by rcpigz
Hey Folks,
I kinda touched on this but I need more info.......Corner dots !!
I've only be exposed to the metal "plow discs" and they obviously work. But i just went to the tractor supply store and they want about 7-8 bucks a piece. We need a few of them. Does anybody have any experience with the plastic ones?? I looked at roaddomes website but they really don't describe their "non skid" design . Are they and all the plastic ones useless?? Does everybody buy there plow discs new or do you find used ones ? This isn't exactly farm country....Anybody have some they want to sell cheap ?? Thanks
we meaning Debbie's R/CWorld have and do use all three types of dot the plow discs don't u know any farmers u probly can get some used ones ffrom them and clean them up paint them . we also use the plastic dots with no nonskid these are moved quite readly when a car hits them the plastic dots with the nonskid works the best these do not slide but are crowned more than the other plastic dots. don't run over these or u will be in the bushes hope this helps u out ..................Bubba
bubbaicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 11:19 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Check the craft store some carry a liquid rubber something ? it is like a plaster you mix up and pour into a mold, this should work very well, and the added bonus that you could make your mold to include an area to entrap the pipes so that they are supported and don't get moved......

BTW: your lucky my plow disks cost $12 a piece!!!!!

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 12:07 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Default liquid rubber something plow discs

rcpigz;

The benefit of the plow disc's is their weight helps keep the track in place. I think that I like the DIY Rubber disc Idea best. They should be fairly heavy too and much easier on the bottom of the chassis. You could use the lid from a small round trash can for the mold. But I wonder if the overall cost would be any cheaper than the metal plow disc's.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 02:16 PM   #24
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

rcp - go to a farmer and ask for some of his old used ones. They wear out on a fairly regular basis and they have to be replaced. As soon as they are replaced they are PERFECT for RC. . .the edges are worn down just a bit making them lay very flat.

TD's idea of the road domes is good for playaround temporary thing in a parking lot that only has a couple of people driving. In other words they suck for serious racing. They move around a LOT. I've got a bunch. Shoot, even the farmer discs will move if you hit them right. . .

Easy way to eliminate the sharp edges of the couplings. . .if you don't have a female end on the pipe already, make one, then file down the leading edge and then always plug in the male end from "downstream" - that make sense?

Also, a good idea is to cut all of your standard pieces into about 8' lengths (usual size of a lane) - makes setup easier. And if you can take some 2 3/4 pieces and get them bent to 30, 45, 60 and 75 deg, then, along with your 90's, you've got a TON of flexibility - you can make sweepers, easy radius'd turns, chicanes, yada.

I got your PM and would love to talk more. Any designs you want. . .
Old 01-13-2003, 07:52 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

rcpigz, I'll have that design posted for ya by noon tomorrow
Old 01-13-2003, 08:15 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Hey Pigz,
We also used some 2" PVC flex pipe.man it works great.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 08:25 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by rcpigz
TD,
Cool !! So now what?? I've never translated something from paper to real life.
Well, eack block Id say is scaled to about 4 feet in real life. take the 30 and the 17, multiply them by 4 and then use those numbers to build the border section. lanes are gonna be about 5-7 ft wide.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:40 PM   #28
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer
TD's idea of the road domes is good for playaround temporary thing in a parking lot that only has a couple of people driving. In other words they suck for serious racing. They move around a LOT. I've got a bunch. Shoot, even the farmer discs will move if you hit them right. . .
Road Domes work well on carpet! I know from experiance.. They don't move... they just like putting a car in it's roof. TSR6 tested. TSR6 approved.

-Troy
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 10:53 PM   #29
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

ROFL. . .cool!
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 10:30 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Thank you for you patience, here is my rendition of the Circuit de Catalunya
Attached Images
File Type: bmp catalunya.bmp (49.7 KB, 262 views)