Community
Wiki Posts
Search

drift setup for a tc4???

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 10:16 PM
Tech Regular

Default drift setup for a tc4???

does anyone has a nice drift setup for a tc4??? ive heard that putting the car cambers on zero is good...but what else??
Old 05-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

go to the official drift thread and ill help you out there
Old 05-08-2006, 08:15 PM
Tech Initiate

yeah, i ran the factory tc4 at the (hawaii)maui car show and won both comps with it. built to the book and added a front one way. was running a novak gtb 6.5, cheap futaba servo, and ko radio stuffs. tires were abs worn down to about 2 mm. the car's handling looks different from my other ones and most everyone elses in that it looks like a go kart drifting for some reason. it looks very precise.

b
Old 05-08-2006, 08:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bdrift
yeah, i ran the factory tc4 at the (hawaii)maui car show and won both comps with it. built to the book and added a front one way. was running a novak gtb 6.5, cheap futaba servo, and ko radio stuffs. tires were abs worn down to about 2 mm. the car's handling looks different from my other ones and most everyone elses in that it looks like a go kart drifting for some reason. it looks very precise.

b

You used the stock racing settings for drifting and it worked out well for you?
Old 05-08-2006, 09:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Aries326
yup. bought the kit from calstarjig on this forum and i put it together as per the manual. honestly it really works extremely well. it is weird looking though as i said when it drifts. i have many many cars that i mess with and see but the way it moves is different. i think it is the way the car exits turns. it looks as if on exits(still drifting, never in grip) i shoot out just as if i had rubber tires on the front pulling the rear with it.

the springs are stock. used the oil that came with it. the only thing is the ride height. i gotta check, but it should be what the manual says, its the worn abs that makes the car low.

b

my fav car is my xray t1m. i have the northcraft cartoon r34 skyline body. car is twitchy though. running a one way pully and lrp sphere/neo brushless combo.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aries326
honestly with abs EVERYTHING drifts... you can tune the car to get it to drift easier, or longer, or make nicer arcs or whatever, but all you need is ABS "tires"... thats what bothers me about drifting... right now its mainly cars spinning tires and "hovering", it'll be MUCH cooler once technology allows for "grip-drifting" where you have some speed behind it and it takes a smooth throttle and steering wheel to do it right...
Old 05-09-2006, 01:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by AM03GT
honestly with abs EVERYTHING drifts... you can tune the car to get it to drift easier, or longer, or make nicer arcs or whatever, but all you need is ABS "tires"... thats what bothers me about drifting... right now its mainly cars spinning tires and "hovering", it'll be MUCH cooler once technology allows for "grip-drifting" where you have some speed behind it and it takes a smooth throttle and steering wheel to do it right...
yes, but to a certain point. all depends how worn down your abs is. when it is new they suck. they slide and hover as you said, but when they are worn in to about 1.5mm they are good and you get speed. also, the challenge is to hit the clipping points while sliding and spinning tires and link it all up while trying to overtake, block or run away from your tsuiso battle opponent. oh yeah, not all black ABS is equal. but that is another story.

abs tires are widely used because they are a standard and kinda are consistent when worn in. otherwise if one guy is on tamiyas and the other is on yok's rings you got 2 drastically different speeds going. not all LHS carry the same tires and it is expensive to buy tires to try out where as for $4.79 on sale right now at home depot you got a 10foot length of tires that should last you and your friends a couple months.

if you want grip drifting try the full rubber drift tires (maybe the hpi's) and that should do it. but you'll also heat up the esc/motor even on brushless, pop out the shaft(did that 2 times), slam into things harder, kill batteries, and of course have to buy tires.....i used to do that on old sorex 40's.

b
Old 05-10-2006, 06:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Wow, that's good. My TC3 doesn't shoot out of turns. It seems to go in a slide and I'm at the mercy of how far my momentum takes me before I can get some grip again and continue. That's why I've tried drifting at a slower pace. Maybe I should try putting this back to stock settings but leave my suspension the way it is - nice and soft. Yokomo black in fronts and Yokoom Blues in rear. Even in the transitions, it doesn't really "snap" back. I'm not sure if it is because I'm trying to do it with too much speed or its just the setup. Maybe loosen the front diff a bit more? Maybe I just need more practice? lol...

Originally Posted by bdrift
yup. bought the kit from calstarjig on this forum and i put it together as per the manual. honestly it really works extremely well. it is weird looking though as i said when it drifts. i have many many cars that i mess with and see but the way it moves is different. i think it is the way the car exits turns. it looks as if on exits(still drifting, never in grip) i shoot out just as if i had rubber tires on the front pulling the rear with it.

the springs are stock. used the oil that came with it. the only thing is the ride height. i gotta check, but it should be what the manual says, its the worn abs that makes the car low.

b

my fav car is my xray t1m. i have the northcraft cartoon r34 skyline body. car is twitchy though. running a one way pully and lrp sphere/neo brushless combo.

Last edited by Aries326; 05-10-2006 at 06:34 AM.