R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-09-2006, 04:03 PM   #1
Tech Regular
 
aquito's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Oceanside CA
Posts: 264
Default trickle charger....

can someone explain me what it this trickle thing??? I have a 30min charger, when its chaged it goes to trickle...what is trickle?

sorry im a newb lol
aquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:34 PM   #2
Tech Regular
 
PlainOleDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Grvl, SC, USA
Posts: 395
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

"Trickle" is simply a small amount of charge. When the Charger finishes it's cycle, the Charger continues to charge the battery but at a much decreased rate. Most will advise not to allow this trickle charge to occur as it may be good for certain applications but not usually for racing.
I have seen it used extensively in oval racing but that was years ago and I do not know wut the current critiria is.
PlainOleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:29 PM   #3
Tech Elite
 
Joel Lagace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,628
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Never mind worrying about trickle or not to trickle, worry about using that dangerous timer charger. You can not get todays Nihm or Nicad packs charged in 30 minutes at the low amp rate they run at. So your forced to keep cranking the timer and then you enter the danger zone of no peak detection!! 1 or 2 minutes to long and pooof your pack is toast.

Do your self a favour:Get a peak chargers before you spend another dime on this hobby, you will get better runtime,voltage out of your packs and you will protect your health and safety knowing your pack will stop charging when it should, not to mention the safety of your home..

I really think the RC industry and hobby shops should ban the sale and use of those chargers. ITs only a step above pluggin the packs directly to a 12volt car battery.

Sorry for the rant..


Turn off trickle charge if you can, its only usefull on transmitter batteries that require low charge rates
__________________
"Without Rules its just Backyard Bashing!"
www.rcottawa.com
Joel Lagace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:37 PM   #4
Tech Regular
 
aquito's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Oceanside CA
Posts: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
Never mind worrying about trickle or not to trickle, worry about using that dangerous timer charger. You can not get todays Nihm or Nicad packs charged in 30 minutes at the low amp rate they run at. So your forced to keep cranking the timer and then you enter the danger zone of no peak detection!! 1 or 2 minutes to long and pooof your pack is toast.

Do your self a favour:Get a peak chargers before you spend another dime on this hobby, you will get better runtime,voltage out of your packs and you will protect your health and safety knowing your pack will stop charging when it should, not to mention the safety of your home..

I really think the RC industry and hobby shops should ban the sale and use of those chargers. ITs only a step above pluggin the packs directly to a 12volt car battery.

Sorry for the rant..


Turn off trickle charge if you can, its only usefull on transmitter batteries that require low charge rates
dawm nice to know that man...im gonna buy another charger then...do u recommend any?
aquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:03 PM   #5
Tech Regular
 
aquito's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Oceanside CA
Posts: 264
Default

can u recommend a charger/discharger??? up to $ 50.00 ??
aquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:10 PM   #6
Tech Master
 
pinggoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: WBP Florida
Posts: 1,263
Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to pinggoy
Default

Quote:
dawm nice to know that man...im gonna buy another charger then...do u recommend any?
duratrax ice charger.... it would actually display how many mah is in your battery.... for ex.. i got a 3800 battery but it doesnt mean it really has the exact 3800 in it... so when i charge it up sometimes it will say it has 3940 in it...it shows you...
__________________
TAMIYA TRF415 MRE l NOSRAM SPX l BALLISTIC 17.5
TAMIYA TRF416X
www.noicewatches.bigcartel.com
pinggoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:34 PM   #7
Tech Regular
 
aquito's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Oceanside CA
Posts: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinggoy
duratrax ice charger.... it would actually display how many mah is in your battery.... for ex.. i got a 3800 battery but it doesnt mean it really has the exact 3800 in it... so when i charge it up sometimes it will say it has 3940 in it...it shows you...

how about this....is this a good one?? Duratrax Intellipeak

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUF43&P=0
aquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4000maH non-trickle Charger EllTG Electric On-Road 2 01-02-2008 09:36 AM
Duratrax IntelliPeak DC Only Mini Pulse Charger & Towerhobbies charger$25.00(Shipped) xsxracing R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 10-13-2007 03:51 PM
what exactly is trickle ? thahookup Rookie Zone 10 05-15-2006 08:15 PM
Integy 16x7v6 Charger (with 30 amp discharge), Tamiya F201, Astro Flight 109 Charger 403forbidden R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 05-07-2005 08:08 PM
TRICKLE charge tdragon Electric On-Road 2 05-18-2003 04:00 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:18 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net