R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-09-2006, 01:21 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

So maybe set-up a super easy to drive track in front of a HomeDepot (any anchor store) with some basher cars. Maybe put in super soft walls of some design that allows cars to run most of the day without maintenance.

Not just hold a race in the public eye-but let the public drive the cars? Hmmm.....

Anyways-heres something from Sunday. I did a race in front of Hobbytown USA here. I heard a son asking his dad while walking away from the track..."Come on dad, we can share a car and race".
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:28 PM   #17
Tech Apprentice

One issue with manufacturers, and especially distributers, is that they will always befriend the sellers of equip, not the end users. For instance, I used to own/operate a fairly larger racing establishment in a metro area. I also have worked for a hobby retail francise (the largest in the country) located in the same city.

As the track owner, I might get a phone call every once in a great while, or receive a door prize or two if we held a big event.

But at the HTU, we would get industry reps in all the time, asking about our business, showing us their new stuff, doin' a dance, shinning our shoes, etc.

Even though the race track is where all the racing equipment that was sold was being used, we saw no manufacturing love. Basically, we were promoting their products for them, for free, and getting the shaft.

Not offering a solution, just throwin that out there.
Sampson Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:37 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

This shop is the second oldest family owned shop in the country.over 60 years in business.in the past we dealt strictly thru distributors.....that is no longer the case and in the past year we have set up wonderful relationships with several companies directly including Corally..RC America...eXpress motorsports....Jaco/SMC...Schumacher...ParmaPse....and we now support racing facilities in Cleveland....Parkersburg,WV....Beaver,Pa...as a starting point in networking and helping the hobby...we will continue to support and promote as best as we can with the continued support we have gotten form our companies including supporting charity events.

Jim
CrashTstDummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:31 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lana
Here is what I found:

The local tracks such as the Gate etc etc. Have a lot of local fast guys that get UNLIMITED amounts of track time. Well, that pretty much sucks for the rest of us that can't do that. Who wants to show up and race against that? Not me!

So I'd say that as a newbie and seeing this and having the odds stacked B4 you even walk in the door would take the wind from my wings and I'd never go back...

Just taking a wild swing in the dark as to why some of the local FAST tracks are seeing less and less turn-outs. And some of the "slower" smaller tracks seeing more and more....

Just a guess from a small time sucky racer with a heart of gold!

LA
I would like to say that the tracks i have been associated with generally change their layouts periodically and i know that at least one always changes the layout a day or two before any big race so the locals dont have the setup for the course much better than many of the outsiders. Places like the Gate are great people to be associated with and they make a great effort to make things competitive for everyone.....tho i admit that almost everyone has their own home track advantage and it is up to the local favorites to help others figure out what it takes to be better on their track.

jim
CrashTstDummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:37 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaball
ray, at our track we offer dude sandwiches to the winners of each class. that seems to keep attendance up. though, it also seems to creep people out.
LOL!!! WTF!!! Ray, we have found the source of your track's problem. Turkish bath houses and R/C don't mix...
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:27 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Make the track more accesable to the drivers that don't have a car I find it odd that you have to drive 100mile to get to a race track.
Can you imagen(sp) parents driving their kids to the track every weekend to let their kids race. If it was 25 miles or so to the local population of racers I think it would be reasonable to take your kid to race meet each weekend.
I am luck I have three track available within 25 miles and within 50 mile another 4. But the area always seems to have a heathly influx of racers.
Due to demo meets being held at fairs etc in the local area and good advertising at the demo meets.
Smoking motor.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:43 PM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking motor..
Make the track more accesable to the drivers that don't have a car I find it odd that you have to drive 100mile to get to a race track.
Can you imagen(sp) parents driving their kids to the track every weekend to let their kids race. If it was 25 miles or so to the local population of racers I think it would be reasonable to take your kid to race meet each weekend.
I am luck I have three track available within 25 miles and within 50 mile another 4. But the area always seems to have a heathly influx of racers.
Due to demo meets being held at fairs etc in the local area and good advertising at the demo meets.
He he, won't thank you enough for all the lifts matey, and i'm not even a newbie, or a kid Agreed kids should be offered lifts from racers in their area, it also helps them making friends and having people to turn to when they need help.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:32 PM   #23
Tech Apprentice

Being a Newbie (been attempting to race for a couple months now), I can say a couple things that made me want to run away after I bought my car:

1. Some of the employees of the lhs. Went in there to ask questions and got looks like why are wasting my time. I know this is not typical for all shops, because I walked into another and got great help from them there. I think that depending on the shop, new drivers may be intimidated.

2. The overwhelming feel of all the tools to get the job done.. Going in and hearing things like, you will over time need to invest in a Tire Lathe, Comm Lathe, etc etc etc.. So many things just to get the job done. Luckily there have been plenty of guys at the track that have been willing to help me when needed with cutting my tires and what not.

3. As many have said, the feeling of you just can't throw the car together and go. All the adjusting to get everything lined up, right springs and shock oil, tire compounds, motor gearing. This is pretty intimidating. Luckily, I have been able to grasp what the experienced drivers have helped me with. I can say the guys at CEFX are very helpful.. Sometimes, I feel like I am taking up too much of their time. I agree, a newbie day or even an occassional "training program" would be helpful to new drivers.

One thing that may be helpful is if the shops/tracks had some sort of sheet or links page on their website which points the new guys to sites where they can get basic information on the aspects of the cars, such as CompetitionX, Superior Hobbies, etc. Or even for that matter, put up their own tips to help the channels grow.

I got back into the hobby after 20 years away, when before all I had was a buggy that I didn't even build. But I am sure having fun learning.
scottwk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:52 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dodo

another reason maybe that they are interested but once they know the price they need to pay to be competitive, they backed off.... maybe not all place/countries have such trend, but at least i know one or two.
dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:13 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwk1
Being a Newbie (been attempting to race for a couple months now), I can say a couple things that made me want to run away after I bought my car:

1. Some of the employees of the lhs. Went in there to ask questions and got looks like why are wasting my time. I know this is not typical for all shops, because I walked into another and got great help from them there. I think that depending on the shop, new drivers may be intimidated.

2. The overwhelming feel of all the tools to get the job done.. Going in and hearing things like, you will over time need to invest in a Tire Lathe, Comm Lathe, etc etc etc.. So many things just to get the job done. Luckily there have been plenty of guys at the track that have been willing to help me when needed with cutting my tires and what not.

3. As many have said, the feeling of you just can't throw the car together and go. All the adjusting to get everything lined up, right springs and shock oil, tire compounds, motor gearing. This is pretty intimidating. Luckily, I have been able to grasp what the experienced drivers have helped me with. I can say the guys at CEFX are very helpful.. Sometimes, I feel like I am taking up too much of their time. I agree, a newbie day or even an occassional "training program" would be helpful to new drivers.

One thing that may be helpful is if the shops/tracks had some sort of sheet or links page on their website which points the new guys to sites where they can get basic information on the aspects of the cars, such as CompetitionX, Superior Hobbies, etc. Or even for that matter, put up their own tips to help the channels grow.

I got back into the hobby after 20 years away, when before all I had was a buggy that I didn't even build. But I am sure having fun learning.
The point you made in line 1 is sometimes true, and unfortuanant. I even experienced a bit of this when I got back into the hobbie after 6-7 years away. It takes time but eventually you find the ones that dont have an ego problem and just ask those that are willing to help. And above all if the same individuals keep giving you a harsh vibe just let them know, one way or another, that YOU ARE A PAYING CUSTOMER... On the other hand do try to do alittle research on your own first, then bring your remaining questions to the LHS, it helps all the way around.

On another point, if we could get some of the bigger manufactures to work with shops that hold races, maybe the "loner-car" for newbs could help in getting more people into the hobbie. I imagine it would be worth it in the long run. It's that first time on a track that gets you hooked, I think alot of manufactures and shops could earn long time customers by just allowing first timers a chance to get out there and run without worrying about so many things all at once.