R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-06-2003, 01:08 AM   #31
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

After the recent hype about the unreliability of the GT7, I must admit I went to our championship meeting yesterday with some apprehension.

I needn't have worried. Our GT7s worked a treat - as usual.

In modified son Josh knocked his own lap record by almost .8 of a second and was the only runner in 17 laps. He was also the only runner in the A main using a Novak GT7, and he won both A mains just as he pleased. Incidentally his GT7 is set on the soft mod programme.........deliberately.

In stock I finished 3rd but only because I boobed, clipped a kerb, rolled and had to be marshalled. However again my GT7 did it's job perfectly well. I didn't have the fastest car in the class. I never do, but then I don't cheat, either!

This is just to put other GT7 users minds at rest.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 11:31 AM   #32
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

After reading this thread, because I was considering a GT7, some things come to mind...

1. It is possible for person A to have a completely problem free peice of equipment from a company, while persons B and C have nothing but problems. I seriously doubt that STLNLST and roddude65 got together and conspired to destroy Novaks rep. They had problems with their equipment, and they stated that fact on line. Simple. While Johnbull has had nothing but good things happen with his. What we need to remember is that these two things are not mutually exclusive! They can happen at the same time! In fact it happens all the time with electrical equipment. Whether it be TVs, DVD players, gaming consoles, speedcontrols, recievers, radios...or whatever... For example, I have a Sony PS2 that came out of the first batch of consoles. Mine has never had a problem, ever! But, there are thousands and thousands of people whos first batch consoles had all kinds of problems. Same company, same batch, different results. Does that mean those thousands of people did something wrong with theirs, nope....sh*t just happens that way sometimes, you know.

2. Stating facts has nothing to do with where you live. If you buy a Ford or Chevy and they are defective and cause you to have an accident, should you pretend it didn't happen just so it wont seem that your dogging U.S. products? I don't think so. It doesn't work like that. If you pay for something, and it doesn't work like its supposed to, then its your right to make that fact known. And that has NOTHING to do with where the product is made or where you were born! Period! Patriotism has its place, and ignoring a defective product is not that place. Should Japanese gamers have not mentioned the problems with their SONY PS2 consoles because they're "lucky" to have such a good company in their home country, heck no. If it isn't working, it isn't working!

3. Heres a little tidbit to think about. If nothing ever goes wrong with Novak's products, then why is their service department so well known? Think about it.
-I always hear about how they have all these refurbished speedo's for sale. Where do they come from? THey aren't built brand new as "refurbished". Which means at some point someone had to send them in for repair or replacement.
-I also hear about how great they are with repairing or replacing stuff quickly and efficiently and getting it back to people. If none of their stuff ever breaks, how did they get that good reputation?

So Johnbull, isn't it possible, just possible( ) that while yours has worked perfectly, that others may not be so lucky! Thankfully, my Explorer II I had back in the day, my XXL and XXtra have worked perfectly the entire time I have had them, so I personally have no complaints with Novak. But that doesn't mean other people's complaints aren't legit!
Old 01-06-2003, 12:28 PM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
After reading this thread, because I was considering a GT7, some things come to mind...
Darkseid: So, which ESC have you decided to get??? I'm in the same place that you are; trying to decide.

Performance is important. Very important!!! But what concerns me most is reliability. I'm willing to pay a premium to get an ESC that will last. My Tekin G9 was "rock solid" for years.

I'm leaning towards the Keyence, but I'm concerned about possible repair/replacement.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 12:40 PM   #34
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Geppetto
I'm leaning towards the Keyence, but I'm concerned about possible repair/replacement.
I'm thinking Keyence Zero V Extreme. Anyway I go, I know it's going to be near $200.00 (unless the KO Propo VFS-2000 w/adapter *$240.00), so I really want to make sure, I get the right one for racing, and practicing. And; obviously, if there is a problem, good support is offered.

Last edited by AGR#7; 01-06-2003 at 12:45 PM.
AGR#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 12:40 PM   #35
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

i have a novak gt7 that has been sitting in my pit box for a month because it starting glitching uncontrollably after the 2nd time I used it. I've got a slew of other novak products and the only problems I've had out of any of them were due to user error.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 12:53 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

I know this might be a little off subject but owell. Why do we have so many problems with RC equipment failure period. If its not a motor then a speed control or battery or receiver or servo or radio, it really doesn't seem to matter they all have problems. Some people get lucky and don't have the problems but sooner or later most will. I think as a industry RC ele. equipment pretty much stinks. The failure rate is stagering. This sort of stuff should last much longer than it does. I have seen people buy a new speed control (doesn't matter brand) use if for a couple weeks and then poof. I have seen others with the same one last a very long time. But for some reason they always seem to go poof sooner or later. I just don't get it. Maybe Sony should start making rc stuff................................
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 01:22 PM   #37
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by KINGZJ
I know this might be a little off subject but owell. Why do we have so many problems with RC equipment failure period. If its not a motor then a speed control or battery or receiver or servo or radio, it really doesn't seem to matter they all have problems. Some people get lucky and don't have the problems but sooner or later most will. I think as a industry RC ele. equipment pretty much stinks. The failure rate is stagering. This sort of stuff should last much longer than it does. I have seen people buy a new speed control (doesn't matter brand) use if for a couple weeks and then poof. I have seen others with the same one last a very long time. But for some reason they always seem to go poof sooner or later. I just don't get it. Maybe Sony should start making rc stuff................................
Interesting, isn't it? I have been running the stock LRP Runner from the beginning (not racing, just funsies) - never a problem! And; here I am getting ready to start racing, and I'm hearing all these stories of these expensive ESC's blowing up. I wondering if it's really worth it. I will be really be pissed if I spend $200, and the thing blows up. This is a serious money pit!!!!!!

Certainly; I know what 1:1 racing is about. One engine lasts hopefully 2 hours in F1, etc... etc... But; this isn't quite 1:1.

Last edited by AGR#7; 01-06-2003 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-06-2003, 01:29 PM   #38
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by AGR#7
This is a serious money pit!!!!!!

lightbulb moment? Welcome to the racer's life!
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 01:32 PM   #39
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by patelladragger
lightbulb moment? Welcome to the racer's life!
Indeed! So, what did Novak do to fix the glitching with your GT7. You did mention this to them?

I know I don't have $150 just lying around, to pitch in the pit box. If I spend that kind of money, after 2 runs, or not, that thing better damn well work!!

Last edited by AGR#7; 01-06-2003 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-06-2003, 02:49 PM   #40
Regional Moderator

Geppetto: well I must say that these reports do have me concerned, but I haven't decided yet. I'm used to having a speedo that works without a problem for years. Yep, you guess it, I still use a Tekin! This G10 of mine has out lasted most of my other equipment. But, I'm kinda looking for something new, just for the sake of having something new, you know how that is!

Heres what I've considered:

LRP Quantum Competition- too many reports of blow ups.
Zero V Extreme 2002- too expensive. Cool, but still too expensive
GM V12 xc- Great speedos, but uses Horizonhobbies service.
Mtronics M3- looks cool, good word of mouth about it, reasonable price.
Novak GT7- I thought it was a pretty safe bet until I hit this thread!

I'm kinda leaning toward the V12 xc or the M3, but the GT7 still has my eye....a little.
Old 01-06-2003, 03:08 PM   #41
Tech Regular

I've had a Quantum Competition and a GT7. My Quantum was fine for a whole year until the brake FETs gave up (scary at the end of a straight LOL) and I got a GT7 while my LRP was sent off for repairs. I've had no problems so far, and if anything the GT7 is smoother and just as easily adjustable than the Quantum even though it has more features.

I haven't seen a problem in a whole bunch of GMs (a GM sponsored driver gets them cheap for peeps at my club so there are lots at the meetings)

Mtroniks have great customer service if you live in the UK but the problem is you need it often. I haven't had a M3 but all my other Mtroniks ESCs have failed in some way or caused interference. The M3 is now being sold with a big heatsink b/c people were cooking them. It has very few features.

I would go for the GT7 or GM
LouisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 06:39 PM   #42
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Darkseid- I couldn't have said it better. I didn't feel like typing all of that nor did I really feel like I had to explain my patriotism because I didn't like a rc product. I have one quick question for you.....how much is the Quantum in your area? Around here I've seen them as low as $174.99 (they may be lower) and the Keyence has been anywhere from $179-$199. I've had every speedo on the market and I have my favorite's and one's I hate. It's basically all personal preference from here on out. Each speedo is backed by a warranty. LRP and Novak would probably be the best as the Keyence has too much changing info on where to send it for repairs. Schumacher will take care of any Keyence bought from them and them only. This really sucks should you have a problem with it but it is a good speedo. Please let me know which one you decide on.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:41 PM   #43
Regional Moderator

STLNLST: I really can't say what the locals charge for the Quantum around here. I've never really taken the time to look. Like I said, I've simply heard too much bad stuff about them. A "Lifetime Warrenty" is good and all, but it doesn't help if your missing races while it gets repaired.
Old 01-06-2003, 08:01 PM   #44
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've had been a long time Novak guy. Heck I've probably got a 410 around here some where. I went with a LRP Quantum Pro last year in 1/12th scale and just never got happy with it. When running anything modified I had steering response issues late in the runs. This year I have GT-7's in both my 1/12th and TC 6 cell cars and the response is very liner the directions very user friendly and the experience very positive. I have also had several unit's returned to Novak over the years and I have always received quality service at reasonable prices. I also had problems at Cleveland a couple of years ago and Tyree Philips took the time from his racing to solder in a couple of new components onto the board for me. Heck I can't even see that well. Novak from now on for this boy.
rpoage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 10:53 PM   #45
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

darkseid- LRP's life time warranty is now a limited life time warranty which basically is a regular warranty. I take it as hype to sell your product but that's business.