R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-09-2003, 12:25 AM   #76
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default What's up with BEC

Ian: what car is that?

I wonder thought why the 7018 designed to be use as BEC will not work with it?

My friend has a Schulze 58CE and he did not have to run a receiver battery!

Heres pix of my new EVO 3..awesome to say the least, better so far than my 414M2

I'm gred very low around 8's and it's still very fast!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg evo3brushless.jpg (28.0 KB, 95 views)
izzyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 01:13 AM   #77
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

izzyracer im jealous.u got an Evo3 already?with a brushless system?any chance u got a dyno test on the system?
it's really ok.im glad u went to get clarification from the Germans.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 01:19 AM   #78
Tech Elite

Default Dyno Test

My Dyno test are my ears and eyes.

lets put it this way, Tamiya's EVO 3's manuals lowest gearing set-up is 96T spur with 34t Pinion at 7.34. I'm using the 96T spur with a 29t pinion and the car looks like an 8 turn to me during my initial runs...it's scary!
Old 01-09-2003, 01:30 AM   #79
Tech Regular

RCPIGZ,

We have been running Brushless for the last year in touring and e-maxx's. They have worked as good as any brushed system with the benefit of extra run time and no motor maintenance.
Sure there is room for improvement with the smoothness of the speed controllers compared with brushed ones, but this all takes time. If you were to compare the very first brushed esc's with today's esc's you'd say the same thing.
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 11:22 PM   #80
Tech Elite

[COLOR=red]Hi guys, I wan't share to you an answer I got from Donnie of www.rumrunnerhobbies.com
They are an awesome bunch of people and are dealers of Brushless setups particularly Lehner.
Pay close attention to what he has to say concerning my Lehner 7018 and 5300.[/

Thank you Mr. Wollard for your help. You were exactly right. I bought a 5 cell "AAA" NIMH battery receiver, pulled out the jumper for BEC and the Lehner worked great.
But why is this my case? Why did they design it with BEC if it can't handle it?

Hi,
The Warrior controller is designed to work fine with any of our motor with BEC activated. But...
Here is the problem. The 5300 is such a high reving motor that upon startup it takes extra "juice" to get it going. The LMT controllers are designed to give you Maximum power to the motor at all times. So, upon startup the controller feeds the motor so much power that it acutally doesnt keep enough to run itself! This is the reason sometimes we get coging!!
From my experiece cogging does not appear all the time, but it does more frequently on cars and with motors that rev above 4500 RPM/Volt.
I have LMT working on the problem now. But top end performance will suffer when this problem is fixed.
Try compairing your LMT controller to one of our compeditors. Hacker, schultz, jeti. You'll see a 5%+ increase in top end speed with the LMT.
I hope this kind-of explains it....
If you have any further questions just let me know!
Thanks,
Donnie
Old 01-10-2003, 02:50 AM   #81
Tech Addict

Default Anyone?

I tried to email Novak for an update of what the production model brushless looks like. They emailed me back saying contact us after the holidays. Still no response...can anyone pull some strings and find out what its going to look like? I preordered one and I would like to know. I would like to know what color the motor is going to be. I hoped for black.
Nightbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 04:04 AM   #82
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to ijnek

hmmm,...
so i would need an extra receiver batt pack...
tat does not sounds veri gd to mi...
anyway,hope that the Novak brushless does not have the same problem also...
ijnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 10:35 PM   #83
Tech Regular

For touring cars i could'nt see the need for a rx pack. They seem to run smooth enough without them.

With monster trucks rx packs do seem to provide better performance.
Old 01-11-2003, 12:25 AM   #84
Tech Elite

Default Receiver woes...It depends!

It really depends on your set-up. Like mine I need it because of the high power output the motor is asking for. Think about it this way..,even more power and run time!
Old 01-11-2003, 12:58 AM   #85
Tech Regular

The reason for using seperate rx packs with brushless is when you use larger number of cells (eg 12 cells) usually the BEC in the speedcontrollers have problems reducing the voltage down properly to 6 volts and supplying enough current.
When you use a seperate rx pack your speed controller has 1 less thing to do and therefore can work more efficiently.
Old 01-11-2003, 06:13 AM   #86
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to ijnek

hmmm,...so r u saying if i run 6 cells,the motor would not experience problem with the BEC or clogging...
ijnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 09:35 AM   #87
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by ijnek
hmmm,...so r u saying if i run 6 cells,the motor would not experience problem with the BEC or clogging...
Hi, it's actually termed cogging, and believe it or not brushed motors get cogging too.
Anyway, it is not true in my case, I ran 6 cell 2400 and it was cogging and worst yet it wont even run....hheheh. But the batt. receiver solved the problem. Again, I think it depends on your electronic set-up.
Old 01-11-2003, 06:46 PM   #88
Tech Regular

Izzyracer,

Yes it does depend on your electronic setup, my e-maxx defintely has more cogging than my touring car. The touring car motor has much more rpm/volt than the e-maxx motor, but the higher torque of the e-maxx motor is what seems to increase the cogging effect. I'm running Hacker and your running Lehner so i guess it's hard to compare.
Old 01-13-2003, 04:52 AM   #89
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to miniman

i got my Basic 4200/Warrior 7018 bec for some time ago, and it has worked very well. I am not using a reciever pack, and I`m running a touring car with 6 cells. You can`t give it full throttle from a stand-still, but when it is rolling just a little, it works very well. Got around 10 minutes from a 3000pack, on carpet. But, my brakes disseappeared after some packs.. In the middle f a run, they went away. Anyone know why this happened? I haven`t gotten them back yet(but I don`t really need them as I am running a oneway..)
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 05:51 AM   #90
Tech Regular

Miniman,

Sounds to me like somethings wrong with your esc.
The brakes should not stop working. I would get it checked out before it stops working all together.