R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-06-2003, 10:32 AM   #31
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mab_man20

All last season I used the Medial Pro medium compound on a very hot parkinglot and they held up very well. THey are pritty light and they dont deform or baloon at all!!

I would reccomend these tires to other people. They are destributed by General Silicon.
mab_man20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 02:24 PM   #32
Tech Addict

Default thanks.

I can't wait to give them a try.
Nightbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 02:49 PM   #33
Tech Apprentice

Default Novak Testing @ SoCal

I happened to be at SoCal on one of the days that Novak was there testing about 2 months ago. A friend has the Hacker brushless and its almost impossible to drive because the ESC is more like an on/off switch, you get 70-80% of the throttle with 1/4 pull on the trigger.

The Novak system is very smooth but they were having trouble with motor pulsing (cogging) coming out of turns. They said that the reason it has taken so long to release the motor is because of the cogging and the work they put into making the throttle linear.

The magnets in the Novak brushless are 'rare earth' magnets and are suppose to hold their strength much longer than the magnets in current r/c motors.
dalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 07:07 PM   #34
Tech Addict

Default Thanks for the info dalem.

Novak is horrible about updating their web site. I still would like to see what the production model looks like. It would be great is you could upgrade to cobalt magnets if you wanted for street bashing.
Old 01-06-2003, 08:42 PM   #35
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Re: izzyracer its....

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightbreed
going to take a company like Novak to launch brushless in the US.
This is the type of attitude that really pisses me off, Americans think it cant be any good unless it is made in America. The german companies have been at this a long time, they have already jumped the sensored technology as this was not applicable, its just like rc cars, unless you have a Losi or an associated it must be crap.

My hacker is on order, will be here tommorrow, we have been testing a Hacker master car sport speedie and a 6 turn motor, and on a number of tracks it seems equivalent to a 8 turn brushed car in both top end and torque, with about a minute more runtime up your sleeve.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:58 PM   #36
Tech Addict

Default Beseroe bad statement, take a look around.

For one thing most Americans don't beleive that! Everyone knows its a world economy. Not much is made just here or there. OR even that an American made it. I think several of Novaks design crew is of Arabic desent. (or not, does it really matter)

I for one don't prefer "American" cars. I drive a Toyota and my wife drives a Honda. I won't drive anything else. Perhaps most America cars are made in the US, but many of the parts are not. I for one love Japan's philosophy about automobiles. I also drive a Yamaha V-Star 650 classic and I won't buy a Harley. Personally, I like a great product at a great price and I don't care who made it.

As for most products, its about advertising. It will take a company like Novak because they they have great marketing. I can think of a list of products that are just "OK." How about Boz speakers, Harley, Viking cues to name a few. I never prefered Novak products in the past. I prefer GM prodcuts and I have had five speedos. I always thought they were way ahead of the rest.

As for a RC chassis, I won't buy anything but an American products. Like Losi and AE. Why? They happen to make great RC products. Value and quality. I hate Japans philosophy on the RC market. Hacker finally got a distributor here in the US. I for one have never tried a Hacker, so I can say much. Seems recently Novak has taken a philosophy I like and that is don't release a product until its perfect. I hope they have succeeded. What if they have succeeded for sensored brushless Beseroe? Do Germans think their products are better? Does Novak dominate in Europe? I don't think so, maybe because its main stream. Think about it.

Last edited by Nightbreed; 01-07-2003 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:36 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Just curious. What exactly is the "Japanese philosophy"on rc??
Personally, I think we owe a lot to Tamiya for their efforts early in the history of rc. Their financial capabilities allowed them to bring quality and technical knowledge to a segment of the hobby world that ,at that point, was comprised of some custom builders handcrafting cars. Absolutely nothing wrong with handcrafting but....Just like any good Ferrari...the price would be high and could you imagine the delivery time. As a representation of Tamiya's acceptance and importance,one has only to look at the collector segment of our sport. Some of the highest valued ,most sought after cars are Tamiya's. As a small retailer with hopes of opening a shop, i can only praise their offerings. They make the sport much more accessible for newcomers. As a racer, i've been frustrated with their emphasis on retail level cars but with the success of the 414M2, they have renewed their specialty racing efforts . One last point..How many other manufacturers,Japanese or otherwise, offer a company sponsored race series designed to allow people of all skill levels the oppurtunity to enjoy this sport and share a wealth of information that often escapes newbie racers who might otherwise get frustrated and give up. Now what was that about the "Japanese philosophy"??
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 12:28 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Cogging

How can I eliminate it? Lehner 5300 Brushless Motor and Lehner 7018 ESC
izzyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 01:26 AM   #39
Tech Addict

Default Well you pretty much said it rcpigz.

I never said they had nothing to contribute to RC. Where do you get off. As a racer, I never prefered retail level kits. They are also very high priced for what you get, and back to what I said. Value and quality. HPI lacks value for the racer and Tamiya was more about realism. There is nothing wrong with that.

To me Japanese philosophy is about retail low level rc and not about a race worthy chassis. Quick buck thinking you might say. Don't get me wrong everyone needs a starter kit, but you might as well get a race worthy chassis while your at it. What is really frustrating to someone new in RC is a entry level kit that won't handle well. TC3=value, quality, race worthy chassis for only $149.00. Not bad. The overwhelming price of racing is what kills the sport. Junk at a high price. Low cost brushless motors and premounted tires that don't require inserts should help some. Now, if only the batteries would come down in price. By the way rcpigz, what does a 414m2 cost? Just my 2-cents.

Last edited by Nightbreed; 01-07-2003 at 01:30 AM.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:31 AM   #40
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mab_man20

Just to elaborate on what rcpigz said.

Have you heard of a touring car? Its a four wheel drive car and lots of people have them.

Do you know who made the first one?

Yup, thats right Tamiya.

Again, what about that "japanese philosophy?"

Also HPI is the other company that runs a great company race program for people all over the world, allowing seasoned racers and father son teams to compete for a trip to Japan!
mab_man20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 01:41 AM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Actually if u think about competitiveness i dont think japanese cars are that bad.they have a different mindset when it comes to racing.Americans prefer all out-everybody type of racing but japanese prefer controlled type ..like manufacturer races.the fact that TC3&Losi can win so many races is bcos it always competes in USA and frankly HPI and tamiya isn't that american.So they stay back in Japan.they always win there right?
Who's to say TC3 handles perfectly?for the $149 kit i think it wont out race a TA04S.
This is also my 0.02.
BTW we are getting off topic.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 01:45 AM   #42
Tech Addict

Default Ok...

man-O-man what is your point? My point, I personally think the US took an idea and made a better product. Yes they have contributed. Is it a big deal about what I think. HPI promotes races to sell their product. If you want to say efforts to, "promote the hobby" so be it.. Its all the same to me.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:53 AM   #43
Tech Addict

Default lee82gx, I agree with you.

I just don't prefer the way those companies operate. I don't like parts trees and HPI is slow to release upgrades in the US. I had a Pro 2 and 3. The fact I had to do so much to get it to my liking soured me. and many others. Along with the rest of what I said. Just a difference in philosophy.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:54 AM   #44
Tech Regular

O.k. back to the topic, I think the German (Read: Boat and Plane based) companies have used just as much "hype" as Novak, just that Novak probably paid about 20 times as much for it's publicity.

Someone said it above, it doesn't matter where the product comes from, it matters how good the product works. I believed the hype on sensorless controllers until I tried one, and didn't like the throttle control. Not to say they can't make it work better in future (maybe other brands already have ?) but I reckon the Novak system is starting to sound a lot less like a marketing gimmick and a lot more like the real deal.

Remember, mostly the other companies who have had "15 Years Experience with Brushless" have had that experience in high speed applications, and are trying to transfer their product to another market. Novak are developing from the ground up for cars. I don't think you can underestimate that in terms of delivering a total package that delivers the benefits of brushless without having to put up with the little disadvantages. In the end, it's the little things that make the difference, and you can ill afford to dismiss those little things as "trivial"
sleek the elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 07:50 AM   #45
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I heard cogging is still a najor problem with brushless motors and even until recently it hasnt been widely used bcos of this....it's been used in boats and planes with great effect simply bcos they go one way-constant acceleration and thus dont require the ESC to work too much on the sensing thing.whereas in cars we have to corner like hell and acceleration/deceleration like this makes it difficult to control the rate of current change to the motors...this is where Novak comes in.like what
sleek the elite
said they r designing it specifically for cars and thismakes it much more aplicable for us.not some take-from-there-shove-it-here-system.Who's to help it if they're a BIG company and can afford to spend a lot on promo's?

PS.if there are those of u who are having cogging problems ....try disabling the BEC and installing a receiver pack.this is just a suggestion i heard from a pioneer user.no guarantees.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote