R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-03-2003, 02:41 AM   #16
Tech Adept

Anybody know how many products are now available in market and how much are they ??
Anthony Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 09:17 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

mab_man20 is right!

The Brushless motor would run you about $120.00

and the ESC from $130 and up!
check this site!
http://www.finedesignrc.com/cars-trucks.asp

I do not guarantee your experience buying from this site. My friend had a good experience and I did not! (don't ask me what happened, I'm trying to forget about it!)
izzyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 12:37 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mab_man20

The novak system is $234 at tower (ESC and motor), thats a tough deal to beat. Unfortunately it is not out yet so you will have to wait a little while (hopefully a month or so, but it may be more). Novak is taking associated's approach to releasing it: Dont send it out until its perfect!!!
mab_man20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 02:29 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to stoopidbstrd

i think it would be a good idea to wait awhile. maybe like a year or something. the tech in brushless sounds like it's gonna go booming in a couple years when all the newer, much better stuff comes out. hey, who knows, it may be cheaper too.
stoopidbstrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 04:57 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yes it will be cheaper soon.aircraft rc's are already using them and they're relatively cheap bcos everyone's got them.(or vice versa).anyhow in a year or so we'll have more stable systems at better prices......as well as more defined competition rules.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 12:23 AM   #21
Tech Regular

BUT I WANT MINE NOW!!!

Old 01-05-2003, 12:37 AM   #22
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to stoopidbstrd
Thumbs down

me too. but what are you gonna do with such high prices? and i don't even have a job ... or a car .
stoopidbstrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 01:59 AM   #23
Tech Addict

Default Why didn't Novak

invite any major mag reps for the Novak brushless motor testing? I see on their web site they invited some people to test them out, but I have not read much in the rc mags about them. Any release date yet?
Nightbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 03:48 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Default NOVAK DID

they did invite some major mags to test the system:all the reviews came from them!!i think either rcccaraction or wildhobbies were there...cos i read the review from another site that is not NOVAK.

mab_man20:ME TOO!!!!
bcos:i also dont have a job
well guess we'll just have to be patient.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:47 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Concerning the "press test," all the major mags where on hand (Xtreme, RCCA, RCcar, rc world, and a few other people). With the slow press time, i would expect to see write ups about the system in the next two months.

If you think about how expensive it is to get a modified motor and a high end ESC ($55 motor, $150 for ESC, +brushes, +lathe) Its about even and you dont have to spend all that time rebuilding.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:21 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Post My Analysis

Yes brushless motor has been around and it is only now that thr R/C Car industry is finding out...is it to late? No! Is the technology here? Yes! Popular R/C Car company like Novak might not have the technology yet or are just in the early stages but other's have it, like Lehner of Germany. If you want it you can get it and the price is right. Remember the brushless motor is no maintenance which means after you buy the thing, companies will not have ways to make money from it. The motors we have allows the companies to create more market from brushess, comm lathes, to commutator just to keep the motors fast. With brushless, this are all eliminated which means they must sell the thing expensive on hand. The Lehner 5300 I have is light, small, fast, and no maintenance better in every way. You can wait for Novak and Orion or other well known Car R/C Manufacturers but I doubt if they can make it better than what is already available...on second thought, I'm sure they will continue to find ways to make money from it.
Old 01-05-2003, 11:24 PM   #27
Tech Addict

Default izzyracer its....

going to take a company like Novak to launch brushless in the US. I'm sure Novak's system will be as good if not better than the German made brushless motors. As of now, you don't see profiles on lowerend German speedos and the ones that do are very expensive. The profiles are also in German and require a computer. I'll wait for Novak's brushless system. This is the best thing to hit the RC electric market. I imagine they will get better and cheaper in time. Expense is the one thing that got me out of racing and brushless with get me back into racing. My LHS will have a class in a short time. Motor and battery of the week are the most expensive part racing. We should be able to eliminate one big expense now. I imagine big shop owners and brushed motor companies hate it. As for LHS, people will just spend the money on other hobby items. As for the big brushed motor companies, who cares. They have profited for years, on the new motor of the week.

Last edited by Nightbreed; 01-05-2003 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-05-2003, 11:43 PM   #28
Tech Elite

i also agree on the 'motor of the week' thing.and its not exactly maintenance free ..these brushless systems.they cannot run forever as the magnetic field of the magnet(duh) will weaken over time.soon the competitive ppl and makers will trumpet out that u would have to change magnets or something.wear and tear also occurs anyway.BUT i would say the maintenance wont cost as much as brushes and cut cutting.
Old 01-06-2003, 01:45 AM   #29
Tech Addict

Default Thats not all...

you figure brushes, buying a lathe, lathe accessories, motor cleaner, not to mention about one motor per season and maybe two for mod. Brushed motor produce a lot of heat that kills the magnets. Brushless motor don't heat up like brushed and the motor's magnets will last much longer. Then add the number factor with brushed motors. They are so inconsistant and you can only hope you pick one out with good ratings. I personally like spec racing. It makes racing more interesting. Savings? Ya! A lot of saving going on with brushless. Too much to think about. Then there is the tire game. I can't wait to try those new tires that don't require inserts. I read some good stuf about them. Does anyone know what I am talking about?
Old 01-06-2003, 09:09 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Default Tires with no inserts

This might require another thread. The tires have some type of design support on the inside that looks like honeycomb simulating the insert. Something to look forward to!