Wiki Posts
Search

Wings and Spoilers

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Wings and Spoilers

Recently I did a science project to figure out what wing on my touring car had the best lap times. I learned that from the varibles that the 200mm wing gave my tc3 the best rear traction and lap times. I also tested the stock wing, the after market 190 and 200 millimeter rear wings by protofrom and no wing. Hear are my results...
Wing Average lap time
200mm 10.90
190mm (stock) 11.67
190mm 11.56
none 11.96
Old 05-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

seems pretty normal results

but as the wing becomes more of an higher angle itll might help out in downforce but when it get too much itll just create drag (the air resistance)
Old 05-07-2006, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by anthony390
seems pretty normal results

but as the wing becomes more of an higher angle itll might help out in downforce but when it get too much itll just create drag (the air resistance)
Exactly. Thats why on low traction off-road tracks, racers keep some lexan left over. From getting my results I want to try to test more wings for fun. What are other brands I could try?
Old 05-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I don't believe it is legal to run the wing wider than the body.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

you should also test the differences of a forwrd and rear mounted wing. So, move the wing foward and backward on the mount and see if that thlps out at all. You may also want to try some stabilizers along the top and rear window of the body. those being paralell lexan strips down the center of the body to keep the car going straight...while it's going straight...

cool project though.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Tech Addict

One thing i notice doing a project like that, is you drive a different line each lap. Also you accelerate and decellerate at different points. You would have to do the same thing at the same exact time at the same speed to really get the correct results.
But good idea for a project. Maybe do something else r/c orriented.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TL_XXX-S_racer
One thing i notice doing a project like that, is you drive a different line each lap. Also you accelerate and decellerate at different points. You would have to do the same thing at the same exact time at the same speed to really get the correct results.
But good idea for a project. Maybe do something else r/c orriented.
Well, i got a 110% from my science teacher on it. But one other thing... I crashed a ton with all the other wings and not at all with the 200mm. And I always drive using the stock 190mm wing. Later for fun I put new tires and moter on and left the 200mm wing on and broke my 10.2 second record. I ran a 9.66 second lap.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KarpetRacer93
Well, i got a 110% from my science teacher on it. But one other thing... I crashed a ton with all the other wings and not at all with the 200mm. And I always drive using the stock 190mm wing. Later for fun I put new tires and moter on and left the 200mm wing on and broke my 10.2 second record. I ran a 9.66 second lap.
Moving the wing forward and backwards will effect steering and rear traction. Try it out and let us know your results.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tsquare
Moving the wing forward and backwards will effect steering and rear traction. Try it out and let us know your results.
I will try it. Just next season because my track is closed till september.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:38 AM
Tech Master

Xenon type A/B straight High downforce/less corner rotation
Yokomo GW3.1 straight
Xenon Type A/B curved
Yokmo GW3.1 curved
Flap Type-RW
Flap Type-R/Xenon type C/D (curved lump)
Xenon type C/D (square lump)
may i know which wing will be suite for carpet used? which length of the wing will suite for carpet? 190mm, 185mm, or 175mm? thanks
Old 05-10-2006, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KarpetRacer93

Dude...there is no way an additional 1cm of Lexan wing kept you from crashing compared to other wings.

What you just experienced was the Placebo effect, in which your mind said that the 200mm wing should be more stable and thus you subconciously drove better.

Besides that, at the speeds our cars are traveling compared to their size, the aerodynamics involved are questionable at best.

As of now, you're crossing over into the Voodoo and snakeoil side of R/C touring, a place where people SWEAR up and down that they can "feel the difference" between a Mazda 6 and a Nemesis.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:02 AM
Tech Addict

Hey soviet, probably is a placebo (although i have my doubts )... I'm sure my F-430 body goes better with the spoiler than without.... at lest you have more drag... so Karpet, that's why you're not crashing too much with the wing, you have to be harder on your brakes!!!
Old 05-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Tech Addict

Default ROAR Legal Wing

I was kind of surprised how small your wing has to be to pass ROAR technical inspection. It is considerably smaller than the "stock" wing most people use.

Also the no part of the wing can be above the roof line.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Soviet
Dude...there is no way an additional 1cm of Lexan wing kept you from crashing compared to other wings.

What you just experienced was the Placebo effect, in which your mind said that the 200mm wing should be more stable and thus you subconciously drove better.

Besides that, at the speeds our cars are traveling compared to their size, the aerodynamics involved are questionable at best.

As of now, you're crossing over into the Voodoo and snakeoil side of R/C touring, a place where people SWEAR up and down that they can "feel the difference" between a Mazda 6 and a Nemesis.
Funny thing is that I ran 20 laps and took the best 10 in a row and relized all of my 200mm were good while 10% of the other wings lap times had times over 13 seconds. I think that the placebo effect could be an explainaton because my hypothesis was the 200mm wing. But still, has anyone here tryed this experiment? Because touring cars are not just about fast motors and cars but aerodynamics too. Thats why I chose to experiment with it.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Soviet, I worked with an aerospace engineer at one time and brought up the theory that some in the RC community have expressed regarding aero having minimal effects on a scale this small.

His response was: 'just the fact that the scale is smaller does not change the way that aero forces act on an object. Aerodynamic forces quadruple everytime air speed is doubled, this should be an indication of what kinds of effects that will be 'felt' with different shapes used on these cars. Don't forget that as the physical size of the cars are scaled down, the size of the molecules of air do not change size...'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.