Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tub Cyclone `S`

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

i cant wait my car will be here monday and i have to upgrade alot of parts bcause i want a really fast car and i thank all you 4 the upgrade reconmindations
Old 02-22-2007, 12:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by premium_rc
i cant wait my car will be here monday and i have to upgrade alot of parts bcause i want a really fast car and i thank all you 4 the upgrade reconmindations
Same here I will be geting my car here soon, and thanks for the upgrade reconmindations, from the rest of the people here that told me about the upgrades.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I actually use mostly 3 racing upgrades because I can get them a lot cheaper from Hong Kong than I can here in the US. I'm using the 3racing diff halves and like them very much except for the blades that come with it. They are very cheap and don't last very long, but the HB blades can be hard to come by so they will do when needed. I am also using the 3R center pulley shaft with one 3R pulley and one plastic kit pulley. I know why not 2 ... just cause I wanted to try it first and then ordered one from my LHS which they haven't gotten in. Really the only reason I switched is because I wanted more purple and was ordering other stuff anyway. I didn't strip any plastic pulleys until I got the 3R motor mounts... the plastic shim on the center shaft is a little big so when I took it out there was a little slop which I'm sure was my problem. Need to get it shimmed properly.

I also use the 3R uni's and they work good, but not as strong as the HB ones. But for $12.50 US a pair its a lot easier on the wallet to replace.

As far as diffs go there was a guy on here bxpitbull that had a guy that could make up some T1R diffs halves. I know he got them and liked them and I think they were like $31 for 2 sets (F/R). That's about the same price as I got my 3R's. Suppose you could PM him and see if that deal is still possible.

Here's the 3R Parts I use for the drivetrain
CY-08/PU - Aluminium Ball Differential For Hot Bodies Cyclone - Purple Color
CY-10/PU - Supr Gear Adaptor For Hot Bodies Cyclone - Purple Color
CY-14 - Universal Drive Shaft ( Original Hot Bodies ) For Hot Bodies Cyclone
CY-17/PU - Aluminium Belt Pulley For Hot Bodies Cyclone - Purple Color

I have a big race coming up this weekend so maybe I'll remember to take a picture of my ride so you can kinda see what I've done. Doesn't look much like an "S" anymore but its fun knowing that's what it started as.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Default Cyclone upgrades that won't work etc...

I mentioned the center pulleys from a cyclone won't work without upgrading the whole pulley system ... here's a couple other things.

Sway bars - not a perfect fit. I got the Cyclone ones to work on the "S" but the bulkheads are not the same between the two so the fit isn't very good.

The pivot blocks being molded on the "S" do not allow you to set anti-dive/squat because they do not have pivot balls. I did set it once and stressed the chassis and one hit in the rear and the chassis cracked. Don't try these settings without upgrading the pivot blocks.

Can't use the Cyclone shock towers without also upgrading the upper bulkheads.

All I can think of right now.

Also I'll mention that even though I like the "S" a lot I would definitely recommend getting the Black Cyclone from Stormer Hobbies. Right now they are on sale for only $199. Wish it would have been that way a few months ago!
Old 02-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Tech Elite

Whoa $199 for a black cyclone, thats a bargain!!!!

Also for anyone looking to purchase the 3Racing Spur Gear Adaptor if you run a front one-way or spool and a big motor i would suggest getting a spare one.

I had one snap at the holes where the pins go through to hold the centre pulleys. Really annoying as i liked using it
Old 02-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

will the cvd's and shocks from a cyclone work on the sport version.......?
Old 02-23-2007, 09:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by premium_rc
will the cvd's and shocks from a cyclone work on the sport version.......?
Shocks yes... CVD's... I would think they would, but I've never understood the 2 lengths and the ver 1, ver 2, etc... I have seen the WC MIP CVD's and it appears they will work fine. I have not tried them only compared them to what I am using.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

I think the version 2 CVDs have a slightly wider end (sphere) where it meets the diff outdrive (but dont quote me on that).

When i went to put version 2 CVDs into the diff outdrives i found that they were binding a little, but then again i found that the dogbones were binding a little on one side of the diff cup too, and that included on the spare pair of plastic diff outdrives i bought. Although i havent heard of anyone else having similar problems with the dogbones, must be im just picky with build quality.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mangoman
There is a v2 universal and these have a line through them, but i thought they have a bigger ball on the end than the dog bones.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you install a spool you will have to replace the centre pulley system. If you stick with the stock plastic stuff you will strip them when you tag the barriers. If the rear of the car starts sliding out savagely on power you have most likely stripped the centre pulley for the front belt.

You would be better of replacing the dogbones in the front but make sure you get the right universals to suit the spool.
When you say replce the centre pulley system, what exactly do you mean?
Do i need to get alum pulleys?
Old 02-25-2007, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by turtle
When you say replce the centre pulley system, what exactly do you mean?
Do i need to get alum pulleys?
Yes everything will need to be replaced... shaft and pulley's. The plastic pulleys will fairly easily strip especially if you are putting extra stress on them by using a spool or mod motor. If you replace the pulleys with alum then a new center shaft is needed also.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by padailey
Yes everything will need to be replaced... shaft and pulley's. The plastic pulleys will fairly easily strip especially if you are putting extra stress on them by using a spool or mod motor. If you replace the pulleys with alum then a new center shaft is needed also.
What is the part no. of the centre shaft your taling about.
The number for the 16t pulley's is 70725 (or 70726 for one-way) but I cant find the numner for the shaft.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

For diff front and rear you'll need

1 x HB70743 (Direct Layshaft)
1 x HB70711 (Spur Gear Hub)
2 x HB70725 (16T Direct Pulley)

For front one-way you need

1 x HB70714 (Direct Layshaft one-way type)
1 x HB70711 (Spur Gear Hub)
1 x HB70725 (16T Direct Pulley)
1 x HB70726 (16T Pulley for one-way)
Old 02-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

I think the second list should be for centre one-way

The first list should also be used for front one-way and spool

Also i believe you will need to get a grub screw for each:
HB70711 (Spur Gear Hub) and HB70725 (16T Direct Pulley)
Old 02-26-2007, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Your right mangoman... I don't run a one-way so I thought that if you run a front one-way you should also have the one-way on the center. Guess you could have multiple combinations now that I think about it.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mangoman
Also i believe you will need to get a grub screw for each:
HB70711 (Spur Gear Hub) and HB70725 (16T Direct Pulley)
What size grub screw(s) do i need?
Sorry for all the questions, its just I want to order all these peices in one hit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.