Tech Apprentice

Yes, It's part of HPI
Old 10-09-2006, 01:20 AM
Tech Regular

anyone got any more pics of this car?
Old 10-09-2006, 10:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Just raced mine for the first time yesterday. First time it touched the track was a qualifier (no practice at all). Ran on carpet, rubber tires, 4300 brushless and lipo (max amps 6000). The suspension was too soft for our track conditions and it was rolling so much that my body was hitting the track and my radio setup was way off. Tried to stiffen it up then my rear diff loosened up... fixed that then my shocks were leaking and my suspension was all wacked! Anyway don't take it as a bad experience because I'm very happy with the car especially considering this was my first kit build. Once I get the initial bugs worked out I think it will be awesome! In fact even with those problems I still managed to run my best run ever on this layout!

Some initial thoughts from the build.... Build overall was easy... yes there are a couple mistakes in the manual but easy enough to figure out that they are mistakes. Make sure you use button head motor screws... anything else and the screw will hit the belt. I also now understand what people are talking about concerning the gear mesh. I suppose you could make the 96 tooth spur work but I would have had to use a 36 tooth pinion or larger to make it mesh which would have made it way over geared. If you are like me and didn't understand the mesh issue its because the motor won't go far enough back to reach the spur. I ended up running a 34/100 gear and it meshed fine. Probably isn't the gearing I'll end up with but it got me through the first day. For those of you like me (I still hit the boards a lot) I was quite happy with the stiffness of the bumper for right out of the box. I'll probably make one myself that is a little bigger and stiffer but most will find it is sufficient.

Anyone reading this that is wondering if they should get one... my advice would be GET IT! Of course like with any car consider the support from your LHS unless you don't mind getting everything online.

anyone got any more pics of this car?
I'll try and get some pics posted this week... but I may wait till I get a new body painted up. My current one has been to the shoo goo body shop a few too many times to take pics of it!

Paul
Old 10-09-2006, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

Oh forgot to ask... I couldn't find anywhere that stated what the spring rate was for the stock springs. Are they 8.2? Also is there a chart anywhere which gives the rate of the HPI springs? All I have is Losi springs and they didn't work real well because they are longer and a little wider than the HPI. It looks like the XRAY and Associated springs would work.. can anyone confirm this?

Ok one question turned into a few!! Sheesh!!

Thanks,

Paul
Old 10-09-2006, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

Sheesh!! I don't know how many times I've looked and finally I find a HPI spring rate chart. http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/in...2-V9-Color.jpg

So ignore that question above? Now just wondering what other manufacturers springs would work.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default I have joined the ranks of belts!

The Pitbull has joined the ranks of belt drive. My Pro 4 got run over (squashed). Luckily, only the body posts, body, the front shock tower and the right front wheel didnt make it. Li-Po, GTB/4.5/spektrum survived! Well, until I decide to dremel and fix the Pro4, I picked up a Cyclone S and will hop-it-up incrementily (yea right). I noticed that people are stripping pulleys, so what should I look out for? I plan on using my shocks from a Pro4 I had for parts (aluminum bodies), so shocks arent a problem. I was running 72/19 48pitch, will that fit in the Cyclone? It came with a 96t (as you fellas know) and if I stayed with 64p, I would have to use a 25t pinion, will that fit? Any info you folks can relay will be appreciated....
Old 10-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
It came with a 96t (as you fellas know) and if I stayed with 64p, I would have to use a 25t pinion, will that fit?
No chance a 25t (64P) pinion will reach the 96t spur. I tried a 34t and it barely touched the spur. Haven't tried 48P but my guess is a 72/19 probably will not mesh either.

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
I noticed that people are stripping pulleys, so what should I look out for?
I haven't stripped any yet but I could see how that might happen especially if you are going to run a 4.5. Nothing really to look out for they just aren't real solid. Look back a little on this thread for the parts needed or 3racing has some coming specifically for the "S" if you can wait.

From the 3 racing site
Product Descriptions:
For the gear ratio, we provide 16T, 17T and 18T for you to choose from. You can adjust the ratio depends on your own need.
I'm new to the 2 belt system so what does changing the center gear have on the overall ratio? Would you have to change both pulleys? or would you ever have a different pulley connected to the front vs the rear? Seems to me you would have to change both but what do I know.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 10-09-2006, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

So, if the internals are the same, I now have to come up with a different gear ratio. Whats the largest 48p you can run on the Cyclone? I saw the Cyclone stuff on 3racing. They will get some of my pesos for sure.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Tech Regular

i use an 81t but it needed a very small amount of clearancing
Old 10-09-2006, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (94%+)

i run a cyclone an my gearing with 56 mm foams i ran 100/40 for 19t i have finished my sons cyclone s ill snap a few pics here in a minute i am very curious to seee how it runs
Old 10-09-2006, 03:35 PM
Tech Adept

Can anyone verify this is correct. Looking at the owners manual of the cyclone it uses a 70726 and a 70725. Below it shows 2 70725. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by moot
here is a section of a post taken from another forum:

In order to fix this onto the layshaft though, you will need to get the same layshaft as the higher end Cyclones, which also means you will need to get a new spur gear adapter (also aluminium) in order to do the modification. What you will need is:

1 x HB70743 (Direct Layshaft)
1 x HB70711 (Spur Gear Hub)
2 x HB70725 (16T Direct Pulley)

I would also recommend getting the Spur Gear Support Plate (Carbon) which will help keep your spur gear running true. The part number for that one is HB70733.

That should resolve the belt pulley issues as its the same as what is run on the Original Cyclone, as well as the Surikarn and Hara Edition Cyclones
Old 10-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Tech Master

#HB70726 - CENTRE ONE-WAY (16T)

The Cyclone S does not come standard with a center one-way. Use 2 70725's with 70743 center shaft... or 1 70725 and 1 70726 with 70714 center layshaft for one-way if you want to change to that type set up.

Last edited by padailey; 10-09-2006 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:17 PM
Tech Adept

Actually my question was to verify that those are the correct parts to replace the pulley setup on the cyclone s.

And I found out that the parts mentioned are the correct parts needed.

However, if you want to use the one way pulley you'll need a different layshaft and the pulley 70726.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:28 PM
Tech Master

Yep I noticed that I hadn't answered your question.. so I edited my post above but you already had the answer!! Day late and a dollar short!!
Old 10-09-2006, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Hey guys the with the initial setup the belts seem tight, therefore the whole drivetrain is a little tight. I'm assuming this will loosen up some but how long should I run it that way. Also it looks like the parts are there for a plastic belt tensioner. Although using one doesn't seem necessary now has anyone tried it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.