Wiki Posts
Search

New to Touring car thread.. Post ?'s here

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 01:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default New to Touring car thread.. Post ?'s here

Ok guys i was thinking of starting a general newbie thread about touring stuff.. We have a similar oval thread on another site , and the thread is sweet.. It really helped people stop posting the same thread question 50 times..

this thread has a lot of potential to have lots of helpfull info in it.. After a 5 year break, im dabbling with touring cars again.. Man things have changed alot.. Im not looking to win races, just be somewhat competitive while having fun.. here is My first question...

I have my old Mr4 tc with a woven conversion on it.. the car is still mint.. I know it isnt top of the heap, but for now its what i will use.. When i quit TC there wasnt much talk of droop.. sooo

what is droop, or what does it do..
and how do you set droop on a car that doesnt have dropp screws... thanks
Old 05-06-2006, 05:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I've got an old MR4TC Special. Is that what you have with the SSG chassis upgrade?

Btw, I have some MR4TC parts but unfortunately I don't have any of the steel diff outdrives you are looking for.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:09 AM
Tech Addict

Hey burbs. Good idea for the thread.

Ok, droop could also be called downtravel. It limits how far your arms will go down from ride height. I usually set mine at 1.5 to 2mm above my ride height depending on track conditions. So if your ride height is 5mm, then tighten your shock collars enough to give full extension of the suspension and use the droop screws to set the chassis at 6.5mm. Then use the shock collars to set your ride height at 5mm.

As far as adjusting it on a car without droop screws, you could drill a hole in the arms close to the hingepin where it's still over the chassis plate then put a long setscrew in the hole. But, touring cars ran great for years without a droop adjustment so I think you'll be fine with it like it is until you step up to a newer chassis.

Tony
Old 05-06-2006, 06:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Not to be an A$$, but there is a whole forum for new people.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7

The more we can help new people, the more people that stay with the hobby....
Old 05-06-2006, 06:57 AM
Tech Master

I wasnt aware of the rookie zone thing.. I always see alot of the same posts in this forum so i figured this might be a good thread..

Im no rookie tho.. LOL.. I was an accomplished oval racer.. but due to certain things im no longer doing oval.. I did touring for about 3 years when it first boomed..
Old 05-06-2006, 07:07 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Aries326
I've got an old MR4TC Special. Is that what you have with the SSG chassis upgrade?

Btw, I have some MR4TC parts but unfortunately I don't have any of the steel diff outdrives you are looking for.

you hve pm
Old 05-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Tech Adept

You can limit droop in cars without droop screws by putting limiters inside the shock. This is how the TC3 was originally designed. It's a PITA but it does work. Back in the day it was generally thought that TC's ran better without droop, now we know better.