R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-05-2006, 01:32 PM   #46
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

I got another one for you. This is something that has been discussed by racing organizations a few times but lacked the technology...but now they do not.

There was/has been talk of having a current limiter handed out at the "big" races for each class. One for stock, one for 19 turn and one for Mod. It would basiclly only allow a set limit of CURRENT to pass from the battery to the motor. This would eliminate how much voltage or runtime a pack had as well as motors. This would be more along the lines of something that MIGHT be talked about and rules written for (although I highly doubt it would pass).

Would this be more along the lines of what you ''think" should happen?

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:47 PM   #47
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
I can tell you as a battery matcher that the "playing field" is NOT as lopsided as you think it is. The difference between my best stuff I see and the lowest stuff is not much!! Ive sold higher stuff than I use at National events!!

Reguardless you will NEVER see a rule that stats you can only use 1 manufactures battery....It will never happen. Racers and manufactures must have choices to choose from. Now once there are several differnt manufactures with Lipo's out and one is better than everyone elses then you will see all the manufactures go to that same source for their batteries (like IB's are now for instance). But you will never see a rule stating that you must only use this battery from this manufacture.... Do you know how high prices would be if that happend?

Remember years ago when Trinity had the exclusive on Sanyo cells? Remember how hard it was to find good cells and then how much more they were? You want those days again?

Lipo's are coming and coming fast...no doubt about that. But a lot of guys on here dont seem to know all the facts about them...Just what they have read in a magazine add or internet websites like this.

EA
In my personal experience and from what I have read through the years - my hope is that RC racing can achieve growth and greater balance in the areas of, cost, maintenance and a more organised form of competitive racing. I do not have confidence that the current overseer's of RC racing (Roar, IFMAR, etc) are capable of/or in a position to take RC racing to this next level. In reading the posts in this thread as well as other threads, many racers who are passionate about this sport are looking for answers and changes too.
Tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:58 PM   #48
Tech Addict

Quote:
I got another one for you. This is something that has been discussed by racing organizations a few times but lacked the technology...but now they do not.

There was/has been talk of having a current limiter handed out at the "big" races for each class. One for stock, one for 19 turn and one for Mod. It would basiclly only allow a set limit of CURRENT to pass from the battery to the motor. This would eliminate how much voltage or runtime a pack had as well as motors. This would be more along the lines of something that MIGHT be talked about and rules written for (although I highly doubt it would pass).

EA
I would be in favor of it, as long as it can take the Battery factor out of all classes of electric organised racing, except the Open Class. I feel we need to keep the open class of racing the way it is. Allow the more talented racers and imaginative motor and battery tuners a place to show their ability and keep RC racing moving forward in new and better motor / battery technology.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:29 PM   #49
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rimer
At the rate battery technology is evolving in general, I don't see things changing whether we run NiCad, NiMh, LiPo, or whatever comes out next year. At the competitive level someone will find a way to extract more performance out of batteries that requires some sort of voodoo (did you get that Dave?). As long as we are RACING, battery companies will try to one-up each other with constantly changing technology.

thanks jack !!!!!!
pony klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:19 PM   #50
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:

EA
Now we are talkin.... Yes, something along these lines... This way the Battery of the week would matter a lot less.... or type.... ;-)

On another post they are talking about how 4 cells would slow things down and make it better on the wallet and newbie... This idea really gets to alot of these issues... So the newbie (and old fart (I'm in this class ) class get a limit less then stock... Classes and limites, all can be figured out later.. The important thing is to find a way to limit or control the voltage to the motor... If you need a little extra weight maybe you toss in the 3800 or if you need to loose a few oz (carpet) then you toss in the Lipo or 2800 or what every you comfortable with...
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:25 PM   #51
Tech Regular

TTT THANKS GUYS
pony klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:59 AM   #52
Tech Fanatic

Kinda funny I see all thse guys talking about batteries making such a huge difference,when most likely these guys wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 1.20 and a 1.22 on the track.This is about the difference between the top and the bottom line cells these days,it's not the batteries that's making us so fast,it's the set ups and the out of control drivers that are in classes over their heads.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:38 AM   #53
Tech Fanatic

What do i want from a battery company?

I want somebody in a IFMAR position to stop legalizing the increase in battery capacity for 5 years, set a limit on average voltage and internal resistance based on standard matching techniques. ROAR only changes their rules after IFMAR does.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
For everybody that thinks that Lipo's and brushless will be great for longer races, how come none of you mention how great it will be for you to turn marshall for these longer races? Go corner marshall for a 45 min nitro main, then let us know how you feel about longer races. Oh yeah, all that money you'll be saving on batteries will have to go for tires, you'll need quick change tires to make those longer races.

ROAR had a nice little rule slowing down battery wars but all the "racers" complained about ROAR and then they started going to non-sanctioned races that allowed the lastest battery technology as soon as it was released. So all the "racers" got what they asked for, even if it wasn't for their own good. Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it!
Scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:41 PM   #54
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

Born-on dating
Old 05-09-2006, 01:53 PM   #55
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony klr
what do you want from a battery company?
batteries
Old 05-09-2006, 02:11 PM   #56
Tech Rookie

A cell wrap that is better at transfering/dissipating heat more evenly rather than fully insulating the cell and keeping all the heat inside.

For those that don't know, let me give you a quick lesson:

excessive heat = bad for battery

Therefore, a cell wrap that lets heat flow out of the cell more easily, will keep the cell cooler and performing better. Just remember, the cell wrap should not be a conductor. I hope I don't have to explain that one.

Now then..... someone please steal my idea... patent it.... and make millions. I will accept a mere kick in the nuts for my idea.
"The Maestro" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:41 PM   #57
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Hi guys this is pony klr now dr voodoo i like the shrink wrap idea il get my atourney on the kick in the nuts thing right away. I think some of us lose site that this is racing and in racing some one is always looking for a edge! is it wright ? i cant answer that but coming from a guy whos been around since the begining it wont change ! those who have always will those who dont wont i know it sound cruel thats not my intent but thats one of the things my company voodoo racing cell s is going to help even the playing field up a little bit! with fantastic packs at factory direct prices no middle man get readdy 6/01/2006 thanks!
DR VOODOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:43 PM   #58
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasagnaCat
Of course... but the difference won't be nearly as great since the lipos don't run flat and/or drop off after a handful of charges like the nimh packs do.
First off, I say bring on the Lipos! I'm not afraid of 'em, but read on:

My Dad flies electric planes, and we run Lipo's in the Xray M18's we race. Here's what I've learned FROM EXPERIENCE. First of all, they do fall off after the first ten or so cycles, they just don't fall off as much as Nimh's, and secondly they can vary rather significantly in performance from pack to pack from the SAME batch and manufacturer.

Also the extremely competitive electric plane racers balance their cells as often as I tray my lipo packs. I can also tell you that it makes NO difference what kinda batteries you run, if you're running cells with a matched discharge curve, they'll out perform cells that behave differently under load. That being said, guess what happens........ MATCHED LIPOS!!! Plus the guy who shows up with newer cells will still have a marginal advantage. I don't know if you guys realize this, but we're racing!! If you wanna keep up with Ferrari, Renault etc. You gotta spend big F-1 style money!! If all ya wanna do is run with Midland and Super Aguri you can spend far less. Set a budget and run where you can afford to run in the grand scheme of things. The guys in the A-main will probably still beat you even if you have the latest, greatest goodies, and racing under budget will give you a good excuse for not making the main.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:57 PM   #59
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
First off, I say bring on the Lipos! I'm not afraid of 'em, but read on:

My Dad flies electric planes, and we run Lipo's in the Xray M18's we race. Here's what I've learned FROM EXPERIENCE. First of all, they do fall off after the first ten or so cycles, they just don't fall off as much as Nimh's, and secondly they can vary rather significantly in performance from pack to pack from the SAME batch and manufacturer.

Also the extremely competitive electric plane racers balance their cells as often as I tray my lipo packs. I can also tell you that it makes NO difference what kinda batteries you run, if you're running cells with a matched discharge curve, they'll out perform cells that behave differently under load. That being said, guess what happens........ MATCHED LIPOS!!! Plus the guy who shows up with newer cells will still have a marginal advantage. I don't know if you guys realize this, but we're racing!! If you wanna keep up with Ferrari, Renault etc. You gotta spend big F-1 style money!! If all ya wanna do is run with Midland and Super Aguri you can spend far less. Set a budget and run where you can afford to run in the grand scheme of things. The guys in the A-main will probably still beat you even if you have the latest, greatest goodies, and racing under budget will give you a good excuse for not making the main.
Thanks for the good information and perspective on the reality of Lipo's. What lipo packs are you using for you m18? Any recommendations on Lipo pack's for the 18 scale car/truck class? If you could PM me your answer I would appreciate hearing your recommendations. Thanks, Tsquare
Old 05-09-2006, 03:29 PM   #60
Tech Fanatic

I'm glad somebody mentioned Roar,they do have a battery rule in place but like was said all they got from it was a bunch of crap from the racers, and the racers went to the birds instead of roar races,there's more to it than that, but that is a large part of it.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote