R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-02-2006, 06:36 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Battery Questions...

I built a 7 cell pack out of GP3300 packs. I bought two of them and one of the cells fried on one of the packs. I took one off and soldered it onto the other pack. I set it on top for a hump pack for my Rustler. I soldered the positive side of the extra cell to the negative side of the top of the pack using 14 guage wire where the negative wire used to attach at the top of the pack. Then I attached the negative wire from the deans plug to the negative terminal on the extra cell. I charged it and it charged just fine. Then I plugged it into my Dynamite Tazer ESC and it worked fine for about 60 seconds, then my ESC caught on fire! What the hell happened here? This is the way Traxxas said to wire my batteries for 7-cell on their how to section. Should I have soldered the negative on the cell to the positive side at the top of the pack and used the positive on the cell for the red wire to the deans? Does it really matter which way I wire it as long as it stays in series?
86Lude20Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:49 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

It sounds like you wired it up fine, but the ESC wasn't up to the voltage...some will deal with 7 cells, some won't.

You need to look at the specs first...well, you can look at them now, but it won't really help you much.

Look at it this way...now you can get a better one.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:06 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Times for new esc
Old 05-02-2006, 08:14 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
It sounds like you wired it up fine, but the ESC wasn't up to the voltage...some will deal with 7 cells, some won't.
You know...that was the first thing that I looked at because I have the box and manual here and it says that it can handle 8.4V batteries. It says 5-7 cells. So this is where I'm at. I don't want to put this pack into another truck and screw up that ESC too. I have a Novak Rooster but if I screw that one up too, I'll kick my own a$$. I also have an XL1, and a Dynamite Power Pulse. I plugged the batteries into my Tazer and it FLEW for about a minute until the ESC caught fire. I forgot to mention that it is a Traxxas Rustler with a D4 12x3 motor running at 18/84 gearing. Also forgot to mention that the Dynamite Tazer only holds up to a 15 turn motor so maybe it was my screw up. Don't know but maybe I'm just screwed. I don't know what to do from here.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:55 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

you have exceeded the esc limit the best you could use up to 15t, i think it blew because of the motor not the battery also when increasing a cell always get a turn or two higher than the esc specs
Old 05-02-2006, 09:54 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Hey, I just tried the battery pack again on my Stampede with a Novak 410-MXc ESC on it and my Titan 550 motor and this thing does nothing but wheelies with it in there. This Pede is perfect for this pack because the rear end is locked out for mudding and damn will it climb. The Novak 410 ESC will hold up to 10 cells so I'm imagining that my custom made 7 cell GP3300 pack is working. It's holding a charge so that's always a plus. Problem is is that my axles don't have the threaded pins, they have grub screws because the main gear with the axle shafts don't have holes in them. So all I keep getting is my axle on the left side pops right off. Damn damn damn, lol.