R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-30-2002, 12:34 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default Quarsar questions

I'm thinking of getting a Reedy Quarsar charger. But I need a charger that will be able to charge 4 cell battary packs. Can the Quarsar do that? I know the Quarsar Pro can. I would rather get the Quarsar cuz it's cheaper but, if the Quarsar Pro is worth the extra 70 bucks, I'll probaly get the pro.
racerdx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 12:47 PM   #2
Tech Elite

racerdx6;

I have the Quasar Pro and it can charge 1-8 cells. Try the Assoc/Reedy website for the specs on the standard Quasar.

Integy has some good chargers that will work with 4 cells and are reasonably priced and both brands are made by the same company.

Last edited by popsracer; 12-30-2002 at 12:50 PM.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 04:29 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Post Charger

Pops

I also am considering new charger. Leaning towards QUASAR PRO or INTEGY 16X7 PRO. I have checked the specs out on both. Integy has 5 yr. warranty. Ready has 90 days.(BOOOO.) Otherwise they are very similar. Any other suggestions.?????
OLD FART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 05:13 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Default Chargers

OLD FART;

I've had my Integy 16-2 Pro for over 3 years and it has never given me a problem. Both chargers are AC/DC so I can use them at home or at the track.
ALOT of guys are using both brands of chargers at the track out here and I've never heard any complaints about either.
The Novak Millenium Pro is also very popular but needs a PS for AC hook-up. If your racing in Stock electric, then I would get a charger that will charge at least at 5 amps.
Old 12-30-2002, 06:21 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default QUASAR Pro question

Hi got a quasar pro and it does it's job really well

but. . . .

why is it that after charging it somehow turns itself off??

and I have to unplug and plug it to activate it again??

sometimes I have to repeat unplugging and plugging it to restore the power.

and also sometimes while doing the set up procedure it dies on me but when the charging mode/discharge mode/cycling mode starts it does not turn off by itself!

Why is this happening?

its fairly new, and out of the box its 220V already have not used it with a PS.

Can you help me guys?

should have gotten the New Eagle Racing Charger!!!

Last edited by lem2; 12-30-2002 at 06:29 PM.
lem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 07:30 PM   #6
Tech Adept

I would lean towards the Integy 16x7 Pro because of the longer warranty and the fact that the Quasar Pro is VERY loud. It chimes very loudly when a charge is finished, and it won't stop until you press a button. It may not seem like a problem, but trust me, it will eventually drive you nuts However, somebody told me that it is that loud because Mike Reedy is nearly deaf (So there is a reason) Anyway, I just happen to like Integy quality.
skibum989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 07:43 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Default Strange indeed

Guys;

I have never had either of the problems that you both described.

Lem2;

Sounds like a warranty issue to me.

skibum989;

My Quasar will beep for about 5 seconds when it's done, that's all. Yes it is loud too. Great for charging at the track.

Do you know that Eagal Racing builds both the Reedy and the Integy chargers. The software is also identical in both chargers.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:58 PM   #8
Tech Adept

right now i have a MRC 959 charger that does great for my micro packs but when i move up i will need a better one. how much are the obove chargers?how do they compare to a Novak Millennium or Millennium pro?
Thanks
blue micro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 09:54 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Has anyone had any problems before with the Quasar? I don't wanna get a charger that pisses me off . What problems have people had with the Quarsar?
blue micro, Quarsar- $109, Quarsar pro $180, not sure about the Integy chargers or the novak chargers. The Quarsar and the Quarsar Pro and ac/dc compatible. The milennium (not sure on spelling) is only a dc charger, so you will need a power supply .
Where can I find info on the Integy chargers, they sound like there good chargers, what problems have people had with the Integy chargers? Has anyone owned both? If so, which one did you like more?
Old 12-30-2002, 10:23 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

I just searched google and found a site that had information on the Integy chargers. I think I'll probaly get an Integy instead of a Quarsar (mostly cuz what Ive heard from people and the extra warrenty), but I still want input on which one people like most. But now Im also considering the Integy 16x4 along with the 16x7. Is the 16x7 worth the extra 45 bucks? The 16x4 looks like it would work for me just fine. Who has had expierance with these chargers? What do you think?

Last edited by racerdx6; 12-30-2002 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-31-2002, 11:00 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Integy Chargers

The 16x7 Pro is the same as the Quasar Pro. The 16x7 Pro adds a backlight and you can turn off the trickle charge as well. They are both rather loud when charging and when done charging. They are both made by the same company Eagle Racing. I had been using Pro-Trak chargers and just switched over to the Integy 16x5 Version 6 and just LOVE it!! It is probably the best charger out there next to the Turbo 35. It is around $199.00 Only DC though. For the money you can't beat the 16x7 Pro.

www.integy.com

This will give you all the info you need about the line of Integy chargers. Hope this helps.
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 01:41 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

I really wanna have adjustable voltage threshold on my new charger. Does the 16x7 or the 16x4 have that feature? Do either the Quarsar Pro or the Quarsar have that feature? If the 16x7 and the 16x4 don't have it, does anyone know of a charger that does have that feature? Thanks!

Last edited by racerdx6; 12-31-2002 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-31-2002, 03:40 PM   #13
Tech Adept

could someone please explain to me about the different features and things are, and what is good to look for in a charger?
Thanks
blue micro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 05:06 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

peak charging
adjustable voltage threashold (im not sure what it does, but i heard its helpful)
nimh/nicad compatibility
i like ac and dc compatability cuz you can charge from a power outlit and a power supply, but if you already have a powersupply, you don't need ac compatibilty
the number of cells it can charge
cycling capability
how many amps it can charge (eg. the Quarsar can charge .5 amps to 6.5 amps)
adjustable discharge rate
internal cooling fan

there are more, but I just cant think of them right now.
Old 01-01-2003, 06:09 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Default Timer

Hi Guys,
Do either of these chargers tell you how long the charge took?
I didn't see it on any of the copy on the integy or associated page.
-Manny
Manny is offline   Reply With Quote