R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-02-2006, 05:00 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Motor Heatsinks and Fans - are they worth it?

Im just wondering about using one

There are so many to choose from, with built in fans, and some without.

I only race stock in hot/humid conditions but clipping on a heatsink worries me because wont it cover the vents on the motor? - Is the added weight worth it?

Is a heatsink by itself ok, or should I go for one with a fan also?

What brand or model do people use?

Here are some of the examples of the ones I've seen ?

I've seen some cars with just the fan also - anyone have any photos?

3Racing :

3Racing with fan :

Vale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:05 AM   #2
Tech Regular

If you use a heatsink make sure the heatsink have holes on it for air to vent out from the motor. I have seen motors get EXTREMELY hot when the vent on the motor was covered.

Personally I use the coolcanfan. It has a bracket with two fans mounted right on top of the motor. You can find them here at www.coolcanfan.com
lookinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:17 AM   #3
Tech Champion

As above,I dont believe in clip on heatsinks to aid cooling,they are too much hassle unless they are pre drilled or you drill them out. I prefer to run a fan over the endbell,therefore air gets forced through the motor and cools it better.

I can imagine that heat buildup from clip on heatsinks can be quite damaging to the motor,but it is only my own opinion.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:18 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookinco
If you use a heatsink make sure the heatsink have holes on it for air to vent out from the motor. I have seen motors get EXTREMELY hot when the vent on the motor was covered.

Personally I use the coolcanfan. It has a bracket with two fans mounted right on top of the motor. You can find them here at www.coolcanfan.com
These looks nice, but so expensive - $60

It would be cheaper just to let the motor overheat and buy a new motor
Vale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:50 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HotrodHopkins

i like the clip-on heat sinks with the fan on it from 3 racing, i'm thinking of getting one of them .

-1990 Chevrolet K1500 Silverado TBI350 "Heavy Half". 1971 Chevrolet Nova

-My lug nuts require more Torque than your Honda makes.
HotrodHopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:58 AM   #6
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

only if you're under weight. while both methods may keep your motor cooler later, it's certainly debatable that this has any detectable effect on the track with a stock motor. modifieds are a different story since they often get so hot that the leads will unsolder themselves.

look at the lap times of the amains at the national events. some guys run fans and some don't. yet all of the times look the same. they finish a tenth or two slower than they started. if heat was the primary reason that the lap times fall off, then a properly cooled motor would hold up much better at the end of a run and it would be obvious who runs coolers and who doesn't. the truth is that cell voltage is tenfold the factor that motor heat is.

i'm not saying heat is good, but i'll take heat over a heavy chassis any day of the week. for a while i thought i was faster with 3300's over 38's. it was because the chassis felt way better in the transitions. turn in was better and could drive the car harder into the corners. it took adding an ounce of lead for me to realize why i went no faster with 3800's, especially up front. i could see that the 38';s had more rip, but the lap times didn't confirm this.

further, i have been meaning to do testing where after 5 minutes, i we replace the battery with one fresh off the charger, resauce the tires, and put the car back on the track with a hot motor (stock). i bet the lap times are as fast up front as they were when the motor is cold.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:21 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I use an Associated fan. It keeps the motor 20 to 30 degrees F cooler.
c-lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:10 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have a couple of those 3-racing heatsink/fan combo...not worth the money.
the fan is weak. and when it gets close to the magnetic field of the motor..it doesn't run. it works fine when it's not on the motor...

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:54 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I question the effectivness of using a heatsink or fan for stock motor racing. The added weight and trouble does not seem to pay dividends on the track. I currently use a Team Much More Motor Cooler for about 20 min. before each race. The motor starts off nice and cold and I have noticed a performance difference for the first 2 to 3 min. of my run. IMHO.
Tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:09 AM   #10
Tech Elite

just out of curiosity, what is the temperature of the motor at the end of a five minute run after precooling it with the motor cooler?

and what would you say the spread in good lap times are from beginning to end when using a cooler?
Old 05-02-2006, 10:34 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaball
just out of curiosity, what is the temperature of the motor at the end of a five minute run after precooling it with the motor cooler?

and what would you say the spread in good lap times are from beginning to end when using a cooler?
I will normally gear my motors to come of the track between 150 and 160 degrees, when usung the motor cooler I can normally gear up 1 pinion larger. The times from beginning to end can be 1 to 4 ths. different depending on the day.
Tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:38 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Anybody involved with building computers would know that a heatsink will be completely ineffective without some thermal past between the heatsink and the motor, and that would be way to messy to deal with on a regular basis. Just use a fan to cool down the brushes and comm and you will be good to go.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:57 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smash
Anybody involved with building computers would know that a heatsink will be completely ineffective without some thermal past between the heatsink and the motor, and that would be way to messy to deal with on a regular basis. Just use a fan to cool down the brushes and comm and you will be good to go.
A heatsink is not completely ineffective without thermal paste, it just isn't quite as good, I use one of the 3Racing fans & heatsinks (admittedly with 5v fan instead of the original 7.2v) and it does make a difference.

The heatsink also gets hot which proves that heat is being conducted.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:30 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsquare
depending on the day.
the wonderful world of rubber tires.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:00 PM   #15
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

I would only go with the fan. I agree that mass and voltage is much more important than heat especially in stock. I run 19T, and a fan has done wonders for me. getting it to stay working after a crash is what i have troubles with

A cold motor is always faster than a warm motor. But a heavy motor is always slower than a light motor, given the same output. Handling also will be affected due to the increase in mass. Since as mentioned before that for more effective use of the heatsink requires a medium such as thermal paste (better contact), it is not worth it ... unless also as mentioned before, u are under weight, or if you have a tweaked chassis and the heat sink can add weight to untweak it.
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote